[DEV] SnCMS (phpBB powered, 0-edit)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Ideas Centre
Crise

[DEV] SnCMS (phpBB powered, 0-edit)

Post by Crise »

Modification Name: SnCMS (Sn as in SnO2, tin dioxide)
Author: Crise

Modification Description: CMS built with as little code as possible using phpBB as the engine and a place for storing and editing the actual content. Plus you don't have to have separate bulletin board for your community because your bulletin board (phpBB) is your CMS.

Modification Version: 2.1.0
Requirements: Recent revisions have only been tested on PHP 5 but compatibility has not, at least not intentionally, been broken.

Features:
  • 110% integrated but it does not need any edits to neither files nor database structure of phpBB.
  • Add/Edit/Remove content as easily as posting, editing or deleting a topic.
  • RSS syndication for news and "categories" (or any one of your forums)
  • Reusable categories component, examples: listings, articles, downloads...
  • Simplified (title based) search that integrates with the categories, news, or any set of your forums
  • Not tied to the ACP, meaning you don't have to surrender any ACP access to site editors
Demo URL: Someone point me to the demo guidelines and I'll sort one out, since KB referred to them and I could not find any.

Modification Download: Coming real soon.
padlets

Re: [DEV] SnCMS (phpBB powered, 0-edit)

Post by padlets »

Hi, any news with the mod?
Crise

Post by Crise »

Sure, I was more or less waiting to see if anyone would reply. Checking the level of interest so to speak. Actually the "mod" itself has been worked on since 3.0.0 betas but only recently started to think about releasing it... For the time being two sites are running it but neither of them is "content neutral" so posting links to them as demos would most probably not be acceptable.

Although just by seeing the sites wouldn't tell anyone how the backend works anyways, which is one of the goals actually. Because one reason why I started making this was because imo, if I were to use some existing solution for phpbb3 (like one of the portals f.ex.) the site would look "like all the others". I also wanted something more than just a portal but also not something like Joomla or drupal but something more simple.

To give some more useful info to the users here I'll need to update the documentation, which I have not updated since late 2007.
sloeri

Post by sloeri »

Sounds like a very good mod...
hope you find the time and interest to finish it.
Crise

Post by Crise »

sloeri wrote:Sounds like a very good mod...
hope you find the time and interest to finish it.
Interest or time won't be the issue, more likely I just don't know when I am happy enough with it to put it into the frying pan.

Also there are things I have not yet thought entirely, like f.ex. how to automate some parts of the setup (even though the setup is just creating few forums and setting some permissions basically it would be nice to automate that some).

But the most tedious part to do, thinking of MOD validation, will be adding proper method, function and class descriptions. Since I have, due to my no-edit policy (ie. keep phpbb installation intact) done some... interesting decisions in my code to be able to provide some features for the stuff that is listed on the first post.
padlets

Post by padlets »

I'm really hope that it's Coming real soon.
Crise

Post by Crise »

I didn't actually think I would be returning to this... but if someone happens to stumble on this, and is actually interested, the "modification" talked in it has kind of been released.

The php code for what is described above can be downloaded from here (packaged using the Free and Open Source compression program 7-zip).

For some more reading on why now, you can head here. Below is a quote of the most important bit:
No real installation instructions, read the comments in config.php, and figure it out from there (if someone actually seriously wants to use this, reply below and I'll give better instructions).
Honestly the code itself is in better shape than I remember, probably only lacking a subsilver based template files (the two sets of template files I made for it have been included, they have a bit of "branding" though) as far as I can see. It hasn't been worked on for a while though (like since late last autumn).

It should still hopefully work fine with the newest maintenance releases though from what I can see. If is someone actually interested in using it I will certainly try and fix it if there are any problems.
FloridaMan339
Name: Randy Wood

Post by FloridaMan339 »

I'd like to give it a go, but I'm a bit of a php newb, and I'd
need instructions.
muggins
Name: Donovan

Post by muggins »

This might be what one of my customers needs. I'll give it a shot!
Muggins
Crise

Post by Crise »

FloridaMan339 wrote:I'd like to give it a go, but I'm a bit of a php newb, and I'd
need instructions.
I managed to find some old text from way back 2007, it governs more about the actual usage than about the installation but it is quoted below (it was originally written for one of the sites this was used on):
The basic idea of the system is to make site maintenance a task that does not involve editing of any physical files on server. To put it short you create, update and remove site content by doing the respective actions to topics under the Site Pages forum (from here on, the forum).

Basic rules:
  1. The title of the topic created is not the actual page title (it's used as an identifier)
  2. The title of the topic is to be one word and one word only [Editors note: not really, but makes linking stuff easier, underscores etc. are obv fine]
  3. You will avoid replying to topics in the forum [Editors note: also doesn't really matter, just doesn't benefit anyone either]
  4. Don't use too many code or quote tags in one page
  5. Preview your pages, but also see the final result through main site afterwards
Special Topics

In the forum we have two special or required topics, without these the site will refuse to function entirely and return you with message:
"ClickCMS: Invalid configuration!"

Menu Topic
This one of the required topics is definitely more tricky as it has a specific syntax it must follow, always!

Code: Select all

page id, bbcode link
page id, bbcode link
etc.
Note: page id for main site index is always Home

"Home" Topic
Site index doesn't have an id it could rely on, so in the forum Home is equivalent of site index. Site index also has a static alias assigned to it on the main site which is 'idx' (see below).

Accessing Standard Pages

For main site we generally have two ways to access pages, and they are the following:

Code: Select all

http://www.example.com/?id=1
http://www.example.com/?id=blah
http://www.example.com/?id=idx <- alias for main site index and thus a reserved name, so it can't be used as a page name.
The first access method (where parameter is numeric) is based on topic id. The second access method (where parameter is alphabetic) is based on topic title instead. These are the two link formats that should be used when linking stuff inside the forum.

Hiding Page Temporarily

Simply lock the topic and it's no longer viewable through main site, yet still have it recorded on the forum. (to completely delete page simply delete it)
As for actual installation right now the best I have is this:
Each forum in a phpBB installation has a numeric unique id, same for topics.

Start by creating f.ex. a "Site Pages" forum and create topics titled simply Menu and Home in it then set the id's of those topics as instructed in config.php, same goes for forums you want the front page news to fetched from if any.

In a deployment environment this forum is naturally only editable by select few, and usually hidden, since every page in it represents one page on the site.
Mostly all the config.php does is tell the system which forum or topic to pull data from, which is why it is just a bunch of numeric id's

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”