[ALPHA] MoltX QuickChat v2.1 for phpBB 3 (Release 8)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
moltendorf

[ALPHA] MoltX QuickChat v2.1 for phpBB 3 (Release 8)

Post by moltendorf » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:08 am

General Information
Project Name: MoltX QuickChat Version 2.1 for phpBB 3
Project Author: moltendorf (Google Code Profile)
Project Website: http://blinkmessenger.com/index.php

Project Version: Version 2.1 Alpha Release 8.1
Project License: GNU General Public License (GPL) Version 2

3.0.a0
If you came to this looking for 3.0.a0 (please stay with me after this), please note that it does not exist yet. I uploaded the 3.0.a0 update file to get people to check this topic so I could notify them that the old update checking system will no longer exist; a new system is going to replace it with the launch of 3.0 so that it can be maintained without interruption, and all 2.1 and older builds will be unable to find the update information. Please private message me, email me, or become a fan of Blink on Facebook (fan box is here blinkmessenger.com) to receive updates about when 3.0 is out and can be downloaded.

Links
Documentation
Known Issues
Submit An Issue This requires a Google account.
Browse Source
Browse Commits
Checkout Source

Description
This is a fast, responsive, and robust, easy-to-install asynchronous JavaScript and XML standard- or push-based shout box that can be configured as a chat server and chat room, shout box, or instant messenger. It comes fully equipped with tons of features, all of which will not slow down performance, and a MODX file to get you up and running in mere seconds.

Features
The features documentation serves as the place we will describe all available features available in QuickChat and will be available in future releases.

Requirements Demonstration
The site in which held the demonstration was moved to a new host that does not have the extensions needed to support this project. At the moment we are working on version 3.0 of the code which will work on the new host. Please be patient for the moment. :)

Disclaimer
This is an alpha release. Features of this project presented, demonstrated, or otherwise described may not be fully implemented or available until beta.

Download
To download the latest version, visit the project website, and look in the featured downloads.
Although it is not advised: to download previous releases, you may look here.

Support
  • If you need help, read the documentation.
    If your question is not answered in the documentation, please ask it here, or submit an issue.
  • To report non-security-related bugs, please submit an issue. This requires a Google account.
  • For security threats, please instant message, email, or private message me directly!
Last edited by moltendorf on Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:33 am, edited 93 times in total.
Did I ever mention that I think phpBB is awesome? I thought I did, but I'm not so sure, so I'll say it again: phpBB is awesome!
pantry \ snack :: is_good ( ) ? pantry \ snack :: hastily_consume ( ) : pantry \ snack :: reject ( );

Need some help? I have a solid understanding several programming and markup languages.
Projects: QuickChat: A Shoutbox, Live Post, ORANGEstyle

pat_13

Re: [DEV] MoltX QuickChat v2.1 for phpBB 3

Post by pat_13 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:08 pm

hi

I not understand the principle, is an overview of the mod

jimcarrel

Post by jimcarrel » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:14 pm

I'm always interested in a new "chat". Competition gives needed improvements.
Grace--Getting what I don't deserve
Mercy--Not getting what I do deserve

moltendorf

Post by moltendorf » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:36 pm

I was not satisfied with previous chat mods I have tried for phpBB 3, they were good, but just didn't suit my tastes. So I modded my own to work with phpBB 3. :)

I actually have been working on my chat program since phpBB 2. It was standalone. But due to the amount of people who see my program ask me if they can put it on their phpBB forum or Wordpress blog, I have decided to recode the server from the ground up to be easily portable to work inside of other software, and with official support for phpBB 3 and phpBB 3 only (for now, maybe more in the future). :)
Did I ever mention that I think phpBB is awesome? I thought I did, but I'm not so sure, so I'll say it again: phpBB is awesome!
pantry \ snack :: is_good ( ) ? pantry \ snack :: hastily_consume ( ) : pantry \ snack :: reject ( );

Need some help? I have a solid understanding several programming and markup languages.

moltendorf

Post by moltendorf » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:35 am

A demonstration of the speed of the new version 2.1 chat application (without the phpBB administrator panel, and other various things fully working) should be up and running hopefully by Monday, June 29th, 2009 at the earliest.

Hope at least someone is excited. :P

Edit: Bump! (Third post in a row.)
Last edited by moltendorf on Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

joebart72

Post by joebart72 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:13 pm

Looks very nice :P
I learn English with phpbb.com :)

jimcarrel

Post by jimcarrel » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:36 pm

The demo is very slick looking, seems fast. and I like the way it looks.

Is shMop considered a common function of php? I do not seem to have it listed on my webhost's server install of PHP.

moltendorf

Post by moltendorf » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:25 pm

You can find information on it here: http://php.net/manual/en/shmop.installation.php

To figure out if shmop is installed on your PHP distribution, check on the PHP Information page within your phpBB Administration Control Pane. If you find '--enable-shmop' (with or without apostrophes or quotations is fine) in the Configure Command row of the first table, shmop is available.

If you cannot locate the Configure Command (like in distributions downloaded via synaptic package manager in Debian or Ubuntu), try to locate the shmop section.

It does fall back on file system and database currently, but it will fail without shmop (as I don't have it configured to disregard the fact that shmop is not installed). In future versions I will support installations without shmop installed, or with different methods of cache/retrieval. If you don't have shmop installed, contact your host, they might set it up for you.

Version 2.0 (the demo) only uses the file system and database.
Last edited by moltendorf on Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

moltendorf

Post by moltendorf » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:29 am

I'm afraid I can't get a demo up today. I was working hard on it all weekend, and all night tonight, it's almost 03:30 in the morning now. The server is literally almost demo ready (it won't be fully ready for deployment because of the lack of garbage cleanup), but I still need to update my JavaScript library to be compatible with the new XML schema that I'm using with the new server code. I'm still hoping I can get it up later today, but expect it at earliest on Tuesday, June 30th, 2009, and latest on Thursday, July 2nd, 2009.

Sorry to anyone who was hoping they could see this in action today. But I'm trying hard, and this object(s) is (are) growing so large.

moltendorf

Post by moltendorf » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:08 pm

Better late then never.

Version 2.1 demo is now out!
Running on phpBB 3: http://elementtown.com/phpBB3/index.php
Standalone: http://preview.moltx.name/chat_v2_1/index.php

For everyone who doesn't have shmop installed, but want this chat program, I overlooked Alternate PHP Cache -- a more common cache system when looking for a system I could use to cache data. Support for shmop will remain, but I will focus on supporting Alternate PHP Cache instead.

Please respond if you are interested, it keeps me motivated. :lol:

tumba25
Former Team Member
Name: Jari Kanerva

Re: [DEV] MoltX QuickChat v2.1 for phpBB 3 (Demo Available)

Post by tumba25 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:50 am

MODs must be released with a license that is compatible with GPLv2. GPLv3 is not compatible. Please change the license or close the MOD.

If users must be registered to test your MOD you must provide a test account for them to use. Please create one.

If your MOD has left the DEV stage please update the topic title.

Do read and follow these rules. http://www.phpbb.com/mods/rules/development_forum.php
Need a mod/extension created/installed, other custom-coded solution or a server admin? https://tumba25.net

jimcarrel

Post by jimcarrel » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:36 am

moltendorf wrote:Better late then never.

Version 2.1 demo is now out!
Running on phpBB 3: http://elementtown.com/phpBB3/index.php
Standalone: http://preview.moltx.name/chat_v2_1/index.php

For everyone who doesn't have shmop installed, but want this chat program, I overlooked Alternate PHP Cache -- a more common cache system when looking for a system I could use to cache data. Support for shmop will remain, but I will focus on supporting Alternate PHP Cache instead.

Please respond if you are interested, it keeps me motivated. :lol:
Alternat PHP Cache would be more than just appreciated. Thanks alot for continuing with project!

moltendorf

Post by moltendorf » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:52 am

tumba25 wrote:MODs must be released with a license that is compatible with GPLv2. GPLv3 is not compatible. Please change the license or close the MOD.

If users must be registered to test your MOD you must provide a test account for them to use. Please create one.

If your MOD has left the DEV stage please update the topic title.

Do read and follow these rules. http://www.phpbb.com/mods/rules/development_forum.php
Alright, I was not aware of the licensing, I will change it. I will create a test account, but I didn't think one was required due to the second demo running the exact same code as the one on the phpBB 3 board, the only difference was it didn't have the file containing the phpBB hook. It is still considered [DEV] because there have been a couple of 500 Internal Server Errors that were caused by I-don't-know-what. I'm thinking it wasn't my MOD though because I contacted my host and they said that the server was having trouble, and promptly fixed the issue. I will need to stress-test it on a few test servers of my own before I will consider this [ALPHA]-ready.

Thanks for the reminder though, I always read the rules but tend to forget or mix them up because of so many forums and social networking sites that I must juggle.
Last edited by moltendorf on Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimcarrel

Post by jimcarrel » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:37 am

Full steam ahead, I say.
In your feature list, I didn't see any mention of time stamping, will you be doing that?
Again, I must say I love the styling of the standalone version. Fits my forum that I have in mind for it.
Sure would like to test it sometime.
Thanks for considering a release.

moltendorf

Post by moltendorf » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:50 am

Oh yes, timestamping will be very easy, I can simply add it into the JavaScript. The server is already recording and sending the UNIX timestamp, more than half way there on that part. :)

I'll add it to the feature list.

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”