[ALPHA] MoltX QuickChat v2.1 for phpBB 3 (Release 8)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
moltendorf

Re: [ALPHA] MoltX QuickChat v2.1 for phpBB 3 (Release 8)

Post by moltendorf »

wiolowan wrote:Thank you, moltendorf for your prompt reply.

The syntax of slash commands is on the first page of this topic, but I essentially need the example of defining/programming a new slash command. As for their usefulness, I guess that while the feature of right-button-menu based banning or starting a private chat is not realized, it could be done with a slash command, like this:
/startroom moltendorf
/private moltendorf You\'re kidding!
/ban moltendorf

And again: how can separate chatrooms initiated?
Currently they cannot; this is a limitation of the phpBB-specific server code I have written. Also, writing new slash commands requires knowledge of PHP, you just add native PHP methods to the "molten_chat_functions" object in "includes/molten_chat/molten_chat_functions.php", and you can call them by typing / before the methods' name. Within that file, I have provided several existing commands as good examples as to how to write new ones.

Several of these limitations of the current system will be alleviated by release 9, and possibly even fully implemented; we were planning to have a whisper command done, a new client to allow multiple chat boxes in a single page, and tons of general improvements.
Did I ever mention that I think phpBB is awesome? I thought I did, but I'm not so sure, so I'll say it again: phpBB is awesome!
pantry \ snack :: is_good ( ) ? pantry \ snack :: hastily_consume ( ) : pantry \ snack :: reject ( );

Need some help? I have a solid understanding several programming and markup languages.
Projects: QuickChat: A Shoutbox, Live Post, ORANGEstyle
wiolowan

Post by wiolowan »

So am I right stating that currently only one chat room per forum is possible?
moltendorf

Post by moltendorf »

Alright, here's the patch for you...

Simply download this file:
http://molten-chat.googlecode.com/svn-h ... n_chat.php

Then upload it to: <phpBB root>/includes/acp

Not everyone will have to apply this patch as this is a very rare error; it will only occur when one has fiddled with the PHP error reporting settings in their phpBB installation.

Using this...

Code: Select all

error_reporting(E_ALL); 
...instead of...

Code: Select all

error_reporting(E_ALL ^ E_NOTICE); 
...will cause this issue.
Did I ever mention that I think phpBB is awesome? I thought I did, but I'm not so sure, so I'll say it again: phpBB is awesome!
pantry \ snack :: is_good ( ) ? pantry \ snack :: hastily_consume ( ) : pantry \ snack :: reject ( );

Need some help? I have a solid understanding several programming and markup languages.
moltendorf

Post by moltendorf »

wiolowan wrote:So am I right stating that currently only one chat room per forum is possible?
Kindof... A few changes to the PHP code, and you could easily make it possible to have several rooms, as my raw server code (located in <phpBB root>/includes/molten_chat/molten_chat_server.php) was designed with that in mind, but it cannot juggle several rooms at the same time in a single request (which would be more efficient, and which is also why I haven't quite 'turned that feature on' yet).

Release 9 will be my largest release (code-wise) since the very first release of this project.

The server will be able to juggle multiple rooms at the same time in a single request, the client will be able to juggle multiple rooms of varying types at the same time on a single page. Rooms will be able to created, deleted, and modified on-the-fly, and overall, it will be the "breathtaking" release I'm hoping for, and will essentially prove the full concept I have laid out for this project. :)

wiolowan

Post by wiolowan »

moltendorf wrote:Alright, here's the patch for you...
--Thanks a bunch, moltendorf, now it works! I can control the cache now..
wiolowan

Post by wiolowan »

moltendorf wrote:Release 9 will be my largest release (code-wise) since the very first release of this project.
--Great! Will it be jQuery-based?
And when will that happen? :oops:
moltendorf

Post by moltendorf »

wiolowan wrote:
moltendorf wrote:Release 9 will be my largest release (code-wise) since the very first release of this project.
--Great! Will it be jQuery-based?
And when will that happen? :oops:
Yes, a complete re-writeup using jQuery. I was procrastinating a ton on my Live Post project because I wasn't familiar with jQuery, and thought it was going to take a ton of code to properly do what I wanted to do. But, after starting on the AJAX query loop using jQuery, I realised how easy it was, and I was done with the entire first release in under 14 hours. This ultimately led to me making up my mind to just get down to business on the new library I had been planning to do for a while on QuickChat. :)

There has been a ton of progress on the library in this week, and if I work hard enough, I could project that Release 9 will be done as early as November this year. :)

Obviously, compare the two, Live Post's library looks a lot cleaner due to jQuery, and my new-found usage of object notation... :D

QuickChat Library: http://code.google.com/p/molten-chat/so ... t.js?r=181
Live Post Library: http://code.google.com/p/molten-phpbb-p ... st.js?r=32

wiolowan

Post by wiolowan »

Great!
Do you think it possible to add Chat button beside Email and PM under the user? With all that "hidden", "always sees me" etc. states?
And will you manage to add sounds? So far I haven't found the robust cross-browser implementations - neither JS-Flash nor JS-WMP...
moltendorf

Post by moltendorf »

Yeah, except it will be "Instant Message" instead of "Chat" and sounds are planned, but I want to do it right; as in have it configurable by the user more-so than the administrator.

The "Instant Message" button will be there if I get the other modules done in a timely manner (as in I don't feel like I've spent too long working on release 9 before starting on them). :D

moltendorf

Post by moltendorf »

I have heavily reorganized the original post. It is more concise, and easier to navigate now.

...hopefully. :lol:

Just a note though: the documentation is nowhere near done.

noob5

Post by noob5 »

what about editing shouts?
moltendorf

Post by moltendorf »

'Tis in the works for release 9... I'm trying to just have one huge release with everything in one bag as that way I'll be able to organize the code much easier. The new jQuery-based JavaScript library is still in the works, and still has a lot to be done. If you would like to view the current file I have (note: it will not work as a drop-in replacement for the existing file, it doesn't even work as it stands as I haven't tested it, nor have I started on updating the server code), just click here: http://elementtown.com/.upload/molten_chat.js.

katib

Post by katib »

Thanks for sustainable work
In the fisr post, there was a usefull list of fully implemented ,in progress, and planned features
I cant find it any more, even in google code page :roll:
moltendorf

Post by moltendorf »

It's there, just really unorganized as I haven't converted it to WikiSyntax from BBCode.

http://code.google.com/p/molten-chat/wi ... s_combined

katib

Post by katib »

Yes
I entered that page already
But it is hardely readable :roll:
Thanks

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”