[ABD] Facebook Connect 0.3.4

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
DeViAnThans3

[ABD] Facebook Connect 0.3.4

Post by DeViAnThans3 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:57 pm

:!: :!: 10 February 2010 - Installing this MOD on a live board is currently strongly disencouraged due to recent Facebook changes. :!: :!:
Modification Name: Facebook Connect
Author: DeViAnThans3

Modification Description:: Allows people to log in to your forum using their Facebook account!
Modification Version:: 0.3.4 (beta)

Requirements: PHP 5 with safe mode off (!) and a Facebook account with which you can get a API key (more info inside download)

Features:
  • Allow people to log in to your board using their Facebook account
    • The MOD automatically creates an account for them. Upon first log in, they are asked to enter an username. Language of the user can automatically be detected!
    • Admin can decide to also ask a password upon first login.
    • Alternatively, people can link their Facebook account to an existing user account rather than creating a new one.
    • Users can use the 'Log me on automatically each visit' and 'Hide my online status this session' boxes for Facebook logins too.
  • Import data on the fly (note: by default disabled)
    • Interests
    • Signature
    • Birthday / age
    • Facebook account link as website
    • All of the above fields which are/were filled out by the user in the phpBB profile, will not be overwritten with the Facebook data.
    • All Facebook privacy rules are per-user enforced!
    • **Planned** Allow people to determine not to import any data
    • **Possibly planned** Data mapping / custom profile fields
  • Allow users to invite their friends to your board. (To be found in the User Control Panel)
  • Allow users to unlink their accounts if they ever feel the need to do so.
  • **Planned** Publish to user wall (obviously with their approval)
  • **Possibly planned** Allow users to show off their forum statistics on their Facebook profile
Demo URL: Demo board

Modification Download: Download 0.3.4
Note: it is NOT recommended to use this on a live board yet!! This beta MOD is mainly downloadable for testing purposes!
Included Compatible Translations: (inside the download in the contrib folder)
Only languages compatible with the most recent version are included inside the download. Outdated Translations: (these translations are currently not up-to-date with the newest version, and are not included with the download package. They are still separately downloadable though, just click the name of the language.) Tested with AutoMOD. Do not forget to read the DIY instructions, in order to get the MOD working!

Please report everything that might go wrong during or after installation! I'll do my best to identify and solve the problem. Thank you!
Last edited by Sam on Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:17 pm, edited 26 times in total.
Reason: Marked mod as abandoned, if the original poster wishes to continue this, please PM any MOD team member to have it unlocked.
I only provide support via the appropriate topics! Please no PM or mails! :)
My MODs :: [BETA] Facebook Connect

DeViAnThans3

Re: [ALPHA] Facebook Connect

Post by DeViAnThans3 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:58 pm

FAQ.

Q: Facebook Connect?
A: Facebook Connect is an API which was made available by Facebook to the public, so it would be possible to log in on other sites using your Facebook account. This API will be integrated into phpBB using this mod. The log in is done directly at facebook.com, so basically a total privacy is ensured by facebook. There are already many sites who use Facebook Connect.

Q: Does the data of an user who came to my site via Facebook stay up-to-date?
A: Yes. Enabling data fetching is by default turned off, due to performance reasons!

Q: Avatars aren't imported at my site, what did I do wrong?
A: There are numerous possible reasons why Facebook avatars aren't imported at your site. Some of them may get fixed by changing some phpBB or MOD settings, others will require tweaks on the server's php.ini file, or even cannot be fixed without a server hardware upgrade. Let me list some of the possible reasons:
  • Data importing is disabled in Facebook Connect settings.
  • Remote avatars are disabled in the Avatar Settings. The MOD will automatically skip avatar imports if this option is disabled.
  • The imported avatars exceed the avatar dimension (size) limit set in the Avatar Settings. This could be fixed by increasing the height and width limits in the Avatar Settings, OR enabling the "Force Avatar import" option in the Facebook Connect Settings. If avatar import is forced, the avatar size limits are ignored.
  • Your server or the Facebook server could not process the avatar request quick enough, which makes the MOD won't import an avatar, in order to avoid a script timeout. This problem can not be fixed or avoided by just changing some settings.
  • Your server's PHP setting allow_url_fopen is set to Off (or Safe Mode restriction is in strong effect). This causes that the script can not verify the image size of the avatar (and the existence of this avatar), and as such it assumes there is no avatar. You must ensure that allow_url_fopen is set to On, in order to fix this; this may require a support request at your hosting provider or system administrator.
More questions? Ask! :)
Last edited by DeViAnThans3 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

darkonia

Post by darkonia » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:57 pm

very nice work, runs so smooth on your demo, cant await this mod. thx
MMOG-Heaven - Das Gaming Portal
Community bedeutet Gleichgesinnte finden - MMOG-Heaven ist Deine Community! Von Spielern für Spieler bietet Dir dieses Portal genau das, was ein Spieler braucht. Bleibe ständig informiert, finde die neuesten MMORPGs, oder suche die frischesten News aus der Welt des Online Gamings - dieses und vieles mehr erwartet Dich auf MMOG-Heaven.

zake black

Post by zake black » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:54 am

Excellent!!!

Will deffo go with this!

Do have a question though i currently use the Social Networking Buttons Mod Which adds extra buttons to a users profile including a facebook button. Would it be easy to change this mod to work with that. i.e. the facebook profile is added to the facebook option in the profile rather than the website?

Cheers

Subscribed and looking forward to this :D

olilesp

Post by olilesp » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:02 am

Yes, nice work !
Testing with your forum, registered with Facebook connect ans simply get my account (olivier2).

Proficiaat !
PhpBB Forums.. what else ?

silneil

Post by silneil » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:10 am

Works ok! :)

Thanks a Lot for this MOD!

You have idea when the download is disponible?

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:42 pm

zake black wrote:Do have a question though i currently use the Social Networking Buttons Mod Which adds extra buttons to a users profile including a facebook button. Would it be easy to change this mod to work with that. i.e. the facebook profile is added to the facebook option in the profile rather than the website?
I will look into it for your convenience later on, it should only be a very small tweak. :) However this will not become a native feature of this MOD, as not everyone has installed the Social Networking Buttons Mod ;)
silneil wrote:You have idea when the download is disponible?
Whenever the friends linking is done, and I have programmed the admin interface. This may be at its earliest by thursday (2 days), and at last sunday. However, this download will still be alpha (or maybe beta if everything runs fine), so definitely not intended to be installed on live boards yet! A more thorough testing will be needed before it will be submitted to phpBB's MOD DB, and ready to be used on live boards. This may still take several weeks. :)

I've also just enabled remote avatars on the demo site. I forgot to do that earlier, however the avatars should become imported now too, for new accounts!

Thanks everyone for your interest! I'll keep you updated :)

zake black

Post by zake black » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:55 pm

sweet thanks,

I appreciate it wont be standard as not all have. and suspected it would be a small tweak one that i may be able to do myself. need to see the install first tho!

look forward to it cheers

d5t

Post by d5t » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:54 pm

You will be forever thanked when you work out the bugs and release the mod for testing; a lot of peeps are going to find this useful.

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:26 pm

There are indeed a few bugs I still need to work out, and also a lot of finishing touches should be added. Just a few examples of minor edits which should still be done, next to the major new features to be added:
  • (done 21 july)Admin Control Panel integration (setup and configure the MOD)
  • (done 20 july)Upon user deletion, also delete the Facebook Link in the database
  • (done 23 july)Fix the location import bug (if a Facebook user has not entered their current location, the MOD still imports a "," as being the location).
  • (done 23 july)Ensure that the proxied e-mail address of a facebook user who registered at your site is NOT shown anywhere. This is a limitation of the Terms Of Usage of Facebook Connect.
  • Some kind of relink or sync feature, maybe? I'm not sure how to implement this yet, though.
  • (done 23 july)Fix: The facebook connect icon is not shown in the login box if you clicked a link in an e-mail. Still thinking how this may get fixed.. :)
Thanks again for your support guys. Will soon make some progress, and get you updated! :)
Last edited by DeViAnThans3 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chuckun

Post by chuckun » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:28 am

You are god!

I have been putting off making this mod for ages! I just don't have the time to study the FB API and get my head around how to manipulate it...

I will be installing this asap and will try to assist you with all bugs! (I am more of a developer not a creator; I don't have the confidence to start such big projects, despite my almost extensive experience >.<)

Thank you!

magicfun

Post by magicfun » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:50 pm

I'm looking forward to the release of this mod. Keep up the good work. I'll subscribe to this topic and hope for updates soon! :)

gfonseca

Post by gfonseca » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:55 pm

Thank you so much for undertaking this MOD, many people will be happy about this. Your work and time is very much appreciated.

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:31 am

Hey guys, the MOD development is a little slowed because my development PC is currently broken due to a motherboard issue. So I've to work with notepad on a old pc currently to keep developent going :)
However, I may soon get a release, until then, I come with updates and bugfixes now and then. Tomorrow I hope to have done the largest part of the ACP, and I'll show it to you than!

Thanks a lot for your support!!
~hans

zake black

Post by zake black » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:57 am

looking forward to it thanks 8-)

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”