[MODDB] Topic Multi-Moderation & Topic Prefixes

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

Re: [0.2.1 - BETA] Topic Multi-Moderation & Topic Prefixes

Post by imkingdavid »

By the way, tomorrow (saturday) I will begin some work on 0.3.0, the next BETA release. The planned features are:
  • Display topic prefix(es) in more locations, such as MCP
  • Add instructions for integration with NV Last Topic Titles (maybe)
  • Add ability to search by prefixes (maybe; I have to figure out how to properly implement it)
I'll have my hands full with that, and unfortunately, more files will have to be edited to achieve them. I would love to have less edits, but for some features there is no way around it.
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Kyshall

Post by Kyshall »

Really looking forward to your work on Searching Pre-Fixes if you manage it. It would be superb if you could! :D
imkingdavid
Former Team Member

Post by imkingdavid »

Kyshall wrote:Really looking forward to your work on Searching Pre-Fixes if you manage it. It would be superb if you could! :D
Thanks... the issue is how the search is currently performed; I'm going to have to think long and hard about how to add mine in without changing the search code too much.
Kyshall

Post by Kyshall »

Just a thought, I am not too code minded, however have you thought about integrating it with a different backend, such as Sphinx?

Might make life easier for you, I really don't know. :P

Kyle.
imkingdavid
Former Team Member

Post by imkingdavid »

I'll look into it, but I'm not sure how Sphinx works either. I may just make a new page outside of the normal search page that lets you search by prefix. After looking through the code, I think it would take a fairly major modification in search.php to implement. But we'll see.
imkingdavid
Former Team Member

Post by imkingdavid »

Alright, here's the deal. Within my recent schedule of exams and school projects I have had no time to get work done on this MOD.

So rather than prolong the next release by waiting to implement search by prefix into it, I think I am going to settle for pushing that capability back to a later version. It has proved more difficult to implement that I had originally thought it would be, so I am sorry, but it has been put lower on my list of priorities for the next release. I would rather take longer to figure out a better way than to make a "decent" way of doing it and have to go back and fix it or improve it later.

Anyway, that being said, I still can't promise a release date for 0.3.0 (which I think will be the next feature release), but it hopefully won't be too long. I haven't received any bug reports, so that tells me that it is working (or else no one has used it xD).
imkingdavid
Former Team Member

Post by imkingdavid »

Alright here's a bit of a bump. I am going to do some work on this tonight with a release some time over the next few days. I plan on submitting that release for validation to see what I've failed with. I still appreciate anyone who is testing this.

Unfortunately, search by prefix has been canned for the next release. Hopefully I will find a way to implement it later, but it is currently overly complex, at least from what I can tell, and I am not trying to add a ton of file edits more than what is already needed.

The next release will hopefully be 1.0.0-RC1, and will contain a few bug fixes and maybe even some minor feature additions. I'm trying to steer clear of major additions for now, at least until I get this thing validated.
katib

Post by katib »

Thanks to Summer of MODs topic, I knew of this Mod :)
My question is: because a user make a reply into a topic, this reply/post contains an
- a good paragraph
- and and offtopic paragraph,
So I want to copy (duplicate) this post to another existing topic, then edit them so
the original post contains the good paragraph only
the duplicate one contains the offtopic paragraph only

Can I acheive this using this Mod?

Thanks
imkingdavid
Former Team Member

Post by imkingdavid »

katib wrote:Thanks to Summer of MODs topic, I knew of this Mod :)
My question is: because a user make a reply into a topic, this reply/post contains an
- a good paragraph
- and and offtopic paragraph,
So I want to copy (duplicate) this post to another existing topic, then edit them so
the original post contains the good paragraph only
the duplicate one contains the offtopic paragraph only

Can I acheive this using this Mod?

Thanks
I am not entirely sure I understand your question, but I'll try to explain based on what I think you're asking. This MOD is designed to provide moderators with a virtually "one-click" way to perform moderation tasks that are regularly repeated and which can take a while to do, especially when there are multiple topics involved and each must be dealt with the same way. This MOD does not add and new functionality besides topic prefixes.

One of the abilities of the MOD is to copy the topic using the same way phpBB copies topics. From what I understand, you are looking for a way to copy an existing post into an existing topic. Unfortunately, this MOD deals with entire topics and not specific posts. What you would need is a different MOD that would add in the copied post at the appropriate location in the new topic. This MOD, unfortunately, does not have that capability.

By the way, as a sort of update, I have been working on implementing a few different things in the planned 1.0.0rc1. For one, I am implementing the phpBB cache system to greatly decrease the number of queries used. Instead of querying the database every single time the page loads, it will grab the data and hold onto it, storing it in the cache. This should improve the speed of the MOD and allow it not to add much of a strain to your server (not that it would anyway, but this helps!). Secondly, I have put a few of the edits into a hook, which runs on page load. The viewtopic.php edits are no longer needed, and many other edits have been removed, as they are now taken care of by hooks.

And I can't lie and say that I thought up those two on my own: Erik Frerejean, who is also working on a topic prefix MOD, gave me the idea. I will credit him where necessary, of course, but I figured I'd "borrow" some of his ideas to streamline this MOD and make it as good as it can be.

That being said, there will definitely not be update instructions from the latest beta, version 0.2.1, to the next release, due to the large amount and large scale of the edits which have taken place. I am sorry that no update can be provided, but it is being done in the best interests of having a high quality, efficient, and fully featured MOD.

NOTE: You can grab the latest copy of the code from the Git repository in the first post of this topic. Realize, however, that some things may not yet work, so use of this MOD is not yet recommended, especially on in a live forum setting.

EDIT: It has come to my attention that the second viewtopic_body.html style edit is incorrect; instead of replacing the FIND with the new code, that should be an AFTER, ADD. This will be fixed in the new version.
imkingdavid
Former Team Member

Re: [1.0.0 - RC-1] Topic Multi-Moderation & Topic Prefixes

Post by imkingdavid »

MOD Updated to 1.0.0 RC-1

Changes from 0.2.1 BETA to 1.0.0 RC-1:
[change] Uses hooks and static methods to reduce file edits, and cache to increase efficiency (thanks Erik Frerejean for the idea)
[add] Topic Prefixes show up in more locations, such as MCP and Search

As before, no update instructions have been released, due to the size and complexity of the required file edits. To update, undo all file edits from 0.2.1 and apply file edits from 1.0.0rc1. Then run the SQL installer to update the MOD version in the database (other than that, no sql was changed or added).

Important information, and download/repository links in first post.

Please report any bugs or suggestions either here or on the Official Support Forum.
imkingdavid
Former Team Member

Re: [1.0.0 - RC2] Topic Multi-Moderation & Topic Prefixes

Post by imkingdavid »

MOD Updated to 1.0.0 RC2

Changes from RC1 to RC2:
[fix] apply prefix on new post

Update instructions in contrib/ folder.

Important information, and download/repository links in first post.

Please report any bugs or suggestions either here or on the Official Support Forum.
katib

Post by katib »

imkingdavid wrote: From what I understand, you are looking for a way to copy an existing post into an existing topic. Unfortunately, this MOD deals with entire topics and not specific posts. What you would need is a different MOD that would add in the copied post at the appropriate location in the new topic. This MOD, unfortunately, does not have that capability.
Exactelly
So thank you anyway for taking time to answer
And good luck in the contest :)
imkingdavid
Former Team Member

Post by imkingdavid »

katib wrote:
imkingdavid wrote: From what I understand, you are looking for a way to copy an existing post into an existing topic. Unfortunately, this MOD deals with entire topics and not specific posts. What you would need is a different MOD that would add in the copied post at the appropriate location in the new topic. This MOD, unfortunately, does not have that capability.
Exactelly
So thank you anyway for taking time to answer
And good luck in the contest :)
You're welcome, and thanks for wishing me luck. :)
amplifiedshock

Post by amplifiedshock »

Thank-you for working hard on this! I shall install this mod in the next few days. :D
imkingdavid
Former Team Member

Post by imkingdavid »

amplifiedshock wrote:Thank-you for working hard on this! I shall install this mod in the next few days. :D
Your welcome! Remember to make a complete file and database backup before installing this, just in case. Even though I have tested installation and usage with no issues, even I haven't tried it live yet (though I plan to). I have submitted it for validation, so hopefully they'll find anything I missed.

Let me know how it works for you!

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”