[ALPHA] Talk 0.2.0 - a phpBB microblogging service

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
iankent

[ALPHA] Talk 0.2.0 - a phpBB microblogging service

Post by iankent » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:05 pm

Hi everyone

This is my first attempt at modding so hopefully I'm getting this right! Not all of the code is currently compliant with the coding guidelines, but a large part of it is and I'm working on the rest!

Modification Name: Talk
Author: Ian Kent

Modification Description:: A microblogging service integrated with phpBB3, offering similar functionality to Twitter/Status.Net
Modification Version:: 0.2.0

Modification features::
  • Supports @tags and #tags
  • Users can receive PMs when tagged or when a message is favourited
  • AJAX support for timelines and sidebar
  • Supports new >tags (very short links - example on demo site)
Demo URL: http://www.iankent.co.uk/mod_talk/demo/index.php
Demo Username/Password: demo / demouser
Demo Moderator Username/Password: demomod / demomod
Demo Admin Username/Password: demoadmin / demoadmin
Or alternatively: You can register on the demo site, no activation needed

Modification Download: http://www.iankent.co.uk/mod_talk/mod_talk_0.2.0.zip

Any feedback greatly appreciated :) this started off as a 'small' project for another site I was working on, and eventually decided it would be better done as a proper phpBB3 mod, so here it is!

Looking forward to hearing what you think :)
Ian

Change log:
  • Fixed timeline SQL (favourited posts disappearing from timeline)
  • Fixed bug in ajax.php (favourite buttons not appearing on ajax retrieved posts)
  • Fixed UTF8 support (request_var handling incorrect and mysql table column not set to utf8)
  • Added 'view user timeline'
  • Fixed earlier/later links to include userid and view (was reverting to public)
  • Added Search support and updated tags to use correct URL
  • Moved Talk related CSS from buttons.css and colours.css into talk.css
  • Fixed AJAX on Search page. No longer displays public timeline on no search results, and new results are pulled from DB correctly.
  • Added table to track followed users and updated SQL for You timeline
  • Added Follow icon CSS styles and created image
  • Added javascript support for AJAX follow icons
  • Added PHP support for AJAX follow/unfollow
  • Added groups tab and created tables for groups and group membership
  • Created template file and SQL query to display groups
  • Added group notice index and updated message parse/display code
  • Fixed Chrome/Opera AJAX support (null reference errors firefox was ignoring)
  • Updated You timeline SQL to include group notices
  • Added group Create sub-tab
  • Added PHP handling of group create form
  • Added AJAX delete group support
  • Integrated most permissions throughout code (index.php, functions_talk.php, ajax.php)
  • Updated install script to use .sql file
Last edited by iankent on Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter77sx

Re: [DEV] Talk 0.1.0 - a phpBB microblogging service

Post by Peter77sx » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:32 am

Well I played with it over at the demo site and I like the tweeter feel of it. :) Goodluck with development on this MOD. bookmarked!

Frold

Post by Frold » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:23 am

Looks very nice...

Keep up the good work!

darkonia

Post by darkonia » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:04 am

nice idea, good demo, bookmarked!
wish you good developing :ugeek:
MMOG-Heaven - Das Gaming Portal
Community bedeutet Gleichgesinnte finden - MMOG-Heaven ist Deine Community! Von Spielern für Spieler bietet Dir dieses Portal genau das, was ein Spieler braucht. Bleibe ständig informiert, finde die neuesten MMORPGs, oder suche die frischesten News aus der Welt des Online Gamings - dieses und vieles mehr erwartet Dich auf MMOG-Heaven.

Rainbowlaces

Post by Rainbowlaces » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:18 am

I need this. ASAP!

This is like 90% of what I need. I really want something where you can text an update like twitter, but I don't want people to have to sign up for a bunch of twitter accounts...I really wish you could just send updates to 1 account from many phones :?

Looks really good so far. I will be checking back in on this mod for sure!

iankent

Post by iankent » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:06 am

Thanks for the comments :)

There were a couple of questions on the demo site that I wanted to answer. Firstly, user permissions are already in place for viewing and posting to it so you can limit it by group/user/whatever. If there's any other user permissions you want I can get them added.

Things like allowing AJAX, favouriting, search etc are currently set via ACP and are global for all users on Talk, but I suppose it might make more sense to add those as proper permissions instead!

Secondly, there will be a way to display the timeline feed in other pages or on the front page with customisable display but that'll come once the main timeline is working as it should!

I've also spotted a few other bugs thanks to the test posts :)
Rainbowlaces wrote:I really want something where you can text an update like twitter, but I don't want people to have to sign up for a bunch of twitter accounts...I really wish you could just send updates to 1 account from many phones
could you clarify on that for me? do you mean SMS support for posting notices?

iankent

Re: [ALPHA] Talk 0.2.0 - a phpBB microblogging service

Post by iankent » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:48 pm

Version 0.2.0 released, demonstration site updated, see original post for details. You can now try out the mod/admin features too using the demomod and demoadmin accounts.

Let me know if you find any bugs with it, or if there's any features you want included :)

darkonia

Post by darkonia » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:49 am

1A work, runs all good.

how i create a group?
MMOG-Heaven - Das Gaming Portal
Community bedeutet Gleichgesinnte finden - MMOG-Heaven ist Deine Community! Von Spielern für Spieler bietet Dir dieses Portal genau das, was ein Spieler braucht. Bleibe ständig informiert, finde die neuesten MMORPGs, oder suche die frischesten News aus der Welt des Online Gamings - dieses und vieles mehr erwartet Dich auf MMOG-Heaven.

iankent

Post by iankent » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:47 pm

When you click the groups tab, a new tab appears in green called 'Create' - click that :)

andrew55

Post by andrew55 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:56 am

Great Mod! I look forward to seeing it expand.

Quick question. I'm just trying to understand this better.

What is the difference between following someone and not following someone? When I tested it, it seems like you see everyone, whether or not you are following them.

Also, how does the group function actually work. I see how to create and join groups, but what happens then?

Sorry if my questions seem dumb. I'm just trying to make sure I understand this. Thanks for any insights.

andrew55

Post by andrew55 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:08 am

I had tested it, but hadn't looked at the admin area yet. As soon as I did, it answered the question I asked previously in this topic.

So, a couple feature requests:

Of course, to display the feed in other parts of a site (in phpbb and out of phpbb)

Also, would love to see some type of profile link so when a user thinks "I like what that person is saying, I want to know more about them" they can click an link and go to the authors phpbb profile. Maybe I'm missing something and it already does this, but if it doesn't, it seems like it will difficult for users to connect if desired (private messages, add as friends, etc).

Also, different size avatars throw the posts out of alignment

Thanks again - best mod I've seen in a long time

andrew55

Post by andrew55 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:46 pm

Seems that the links are not appearing in the Private Messages when users are being notified that they have been favourited. Here's what I got in a test PM:
Your notice has been favorited by Andrew R

Your message said:
We want to hear from you - tell us what's on your mind, share a favorite quote, share an experience or just say hello

Click here to view the notice
So the username and notice are showing up in the PM, but not the link. Any idea on what the issue might be? I check to see if a setting or permission issue (relating to PMs) could be causing this, but I couldn't find anything. Although I checked, could have been a stupid code edit on my part. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

silneil

Post by silneil » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:07 pm

iankent,

Thanks for this Mod. Very Cool! Don't stop! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Rainbowlaces

Post by Rainbowlaces » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:57 am

iankent wrote:Thanks for the comments :)

There were a couple of questions on the demo site that I wanted to answer. Firstly, user permissions are already in place for viewing and posting to it so you can limit it by group/user/whatever. If there's any other user permissions you want I can get them added.

Things like allowing AJAX, favouriting, search etc are currently set via ACP and are global for all users on Talk, but I suppose it might make more sense to add those as proper permissions instead!

Secondly, there will be a way to display the timeline feed in other pages or on the front page with customisable display but that'll come once the main timeline is working as it should!

I've also spotted a few other bugs thanks to the test posts :)
Rainbowlaces wrote:I really want something where you can text an update like twitter, but I don't want people to have to sign up for a bunch of twitter accounts...I really wish you could just send updates to 1 account from many phones
could you clarify on that for me? do you mean SMS support for posting notices?
Firstly, you are doing a great job! I really like the way this is going. I pop in now and again, but haven't been recently. I will have to check it out again!

Yes, I want SMS support for posting notices. I was hoping to have a single feed where users who sent a txt would be listed (as if they were posting from a computer). We are a racing forum, so if someone (or more than one) was at a race they could send lap by lap updates via sms and it would appear in a feed instead of having a thread 1000 posts long. Does that make sense? I've seen sms reply options, but I don't want pages and pages of 1 sentence updates, just a twitter-like feed you could expand while reading if you wanted...

sitwi

Post by sitwi » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:34 am

Great job. A few questions, though:

Is there any guidance for permissions for this MOD, please?

The PM notifying of a tag chews up the URL - the code I get says:

Click here to view the notice

And why does the output appear like this...?

Cheers again for doing this.

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”