[MODDB] Private Message Moderation

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
twosheds_

[MODDB] Private Message Moderation

Post by twosheds_ »

Modification Name: Private Message Moderation
Author: twosheds_

Modification Description: Moderate the private messages sent by users on a phpBB3 bulletin board. Administrators can view the private message database and delete private messages using this Administration Control Panel plugin.

Modification Version: 1.5.4

Features:
  • View private messages created by the users of your bulletin board
  • View all of the private messages sent by a specific user
  • View all of the private message received by a specific user
  • View the conversation between two specific users
  • Search for private messages that contain a specific text string
  • Delete private messages
Installation/Update Procedure:
Instructions for installing or updating this MOD in your phpBB3 bulletin board can be found in Sourceforge.

Change History:
  • v1.5.4 (2010-03-21)
    • Added the "Can moderate private messages" administrative permission in the "Misc" category to control which administrators are able to see this module in the ACP.
  • v1.5.3 (2010-03-11)
    • The phpBB team never reviewed version 1.5.2. Somehow, for some unexplained reason, it disappeared from their queue. So today I have posted 1.5.3 to the queue for review.
    • I have moved the development for this MOD to Sourceforge: see https://sourceforge.net/projects/privmsgsmod/ for the latest release of this MOD.
    • I have updated the MOD so that it now knows how to handle group names in the "To:" address field.
  • v1.5.2 (2010-02-28)
    • If a message has been deleted by all of its recipients and the only place it still exists is in the author's Sentbox, you will see the flag "(SentBox)" next to the author's name in the message list.
    • Corrects several problems which prevented validation of this MOD by the phpBB team.
  • v1.5.1 (2010-02-08)
    • Corrects several problems which prevented validation of this MOD by the phpBB team.
  • v1.5.0 (2010-01-31)
    • Adds a text string search capability.
  • v1.4.2 (2010-01-29)
    • Change WPM message filtering to a generic string filter. A configuration setting now allows the user to specify a text string which, if found in the body of a message, will cause that message to be excluded from display in the message list.
    • Escape slashes and HTML start tags in Javascript parameters for XHTML 1.0 compliance.
    • Move Javascript function definition to an external include file for XHTML 1.0 compliance.
    • Change showtext variable to use "y" and "n" instead of "0" and "1" to avoid problems with empty() function.
    • Show a version/copyright string at the bottom of the page.
  • v1.4.1 (2010-01-24)
    • Attempt to fix multibyte input fields problem using guidance from Coding Guidelines documentation.
  • v1.4.0 (2010-01-23)
    • Added support for clicking on names in "to" column. Displays a list of of all messages sent to the selected user.
    • Changed search filter at the bottom of the page so that it displays all of the messages back and forth between two users.
  • v1.3.0 (2010-01-22)
    • Added a configuration page for the module that allows the user to set preferences for the number of messages displayed per page, whether or not message text is displayed and whether or not messages from the WPM mod are included.
    • Changed it so that, when you have elected not to display message text, clicking on the message subject line will pop up a window containing the message text.
    • Changed the installation and update process to more fully utilize the functionality in AUTOMOD and UMIL. Hopefully this brings me more in line with the "standard" install/update process for phpBB3. I added the installation/update instructions to this post, above.
  • v1.2.0 (2010-01-19)
    • Fixes a syntax error in the index.xml (the AUTOMOD installation control file)
    • Changed so that duplicate copies of messages in the PM database are no longer displayed.
    • Change to better handle non-english names in the author name search field. A by-product of this change is that names are no longer case sensitive.
  • v1.1.1 (2010-01-18)
    • Correct SQL error
  • v1.1.0 (2010-01-17)
    • Interpret BBcode in messages
    • Add option to toggle display of messages generated by WPM mod
    • Correct bug that allowed display of messages that had been marked as deleted
Screenshots:

Modification Download: https://sourceforge.net/projects/privmsgsmod/

I am well aware (and you should be too) that there are potential legal and ethical issues associated with the monitoring of "private messages" on a bulletin board. I made my own judgment about those issues before I created this MOD for my board. You should make your own similar judgment before you use this MOD. I am not interested in having a discussion about all of that here. The topic has been beaten to death elsewhere. What I am interested in is a discussion about any technical issues associated with this MOD. I use it on my board and it works for me. I'm hoping that it will work as well for those of you who decide that you have a need for this sort of functionality.
Last edited by Sam on Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:58 am, edited 23 times in total.
Reason: MOD is currently in the Modifications Database. If the MOD author wishes to post the next development versions on this forum, feel free to open a new topic for it.
TwoSheds
twosheds at twosheds dot com
http://twosheds.com
eunaumtenhoid

Re: [RC] Private Message Moderation

Post by eunaumtenhoid »

show^^
thx
My translations of the extensions for Brazilian Portuguese
https://github.com/phpBBTraducoes
Neoxxx

Post by Neoxxx »

Is it possible read message with bbcode?
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

I can't seem to delete PM's by Anonymous aka deleted users...
apierce

Post by apierce »

A Few Inquiries:
Can you make the messages readable? Like in normal view, not html/bbcode?

Can you also make it work with the WPM mod (Welcome PM) so that welcome messages are ignored? Thanks.
http://chatbam.com - Free Forum Promotion!
wowfans

Post by wowfans »

Thank you so much.
I installed it, and worked find.

kind regard.
wowfans
Sorry for my pool English.
imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

Post by imkingdavid »

So is this like a PM Spy type thing, where you can see all of your members' private messages, or is it something where you can view messages sent only by users that are under moderation? Both are helpful features, imo, but I just wanted to make sure which one this does. :)
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
apierce

Post by apierce »

imkingdavid wrote:So is this like a PM Spy type thing, where you can see all of your members' private messages, or is it something where you can view messages sent only by users that are under moderation? Both are helpful features, imo, but I just wanted to make sure which one this does. :)
It is both, you can see anyones PMs
http://chatbam.com - Free Forum Promotion!
twosheds_

Post by twosheds_ »

apierce wrote:A Few Inquiries:
Can you make the messages readable? Like in normal view, not html/bbcode?

Can you also make it work with the WPM mod (Welcome PM) so that welcome messages are ignored? Thanks.
I'll look at doing those two things. I hadn't considered the bbcode/html thing a requirement for my own use but I'll see what I can do. And I'm not familiar with the WPM mod but I'll take a look at it.
Peter77sx wrote:I can't seem to delete PM's by Anonymous aka deleted users...
I hadn't thought about that use case. I'll see what can be done. The function I'm invoking to delete the messages would seem to require a user id but I'll look and see if there's a way around that.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
TwoSheds
eunaumtenhoid

Post by eunaumtenhoid »

idea:

add permissions
sees the pms as the mod reader pm
to have a button to edit, that when pressed anger it shows the pms in code as it is now.
My translations of the extensions for Brazilian Portuguese
https://github.com/phpBBTraducoes
s3000

Post by s3000 »

idea:
limit send PM per day to protect spam PM
example > user can send 5 pm/day
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

twosheds_ wrote:
I hadn't thought about that use case. I'll see what can be done. The function I'm invoking to delete the messages would seem to require a user id but I'll look and see if there's a way around that.

Thanks, I have a bunch of these!
imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

Post by imkingdavid »

twosheds_ wrote:

Anonymous user's id is 1, so just attach that id to the deleted user's PMs.

And wouldn't it be more efficient to delete based on the PM id instead of the user id? Although I'm not sure how the PM system works exactly, so I am just putting out an idea. :)
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
twosheds_

Post by twosheds_ »

I've just updated the mod with the changes you all suggested:
  • BBCode and HTML in messages is now interpreted and displayed, rather than displaying it as code.
  • If you have the WPM mod installed, a new select box will appear at the bottom of the page that allows you to toggle the display of the welcome messages generated by that mod.
  • I fixed a bug that I think will solve the problem of anonymous (orphaned) messages not going away when you delete them. (I haven't tested this too deeply so let me know if I am wrong and this doesn't fix this problem.)
To install this update simply copy the files in the root directory of the installation package, replacing those from the previous version.
TwoSheds
twosheds_

Post by twosheds_ »

eunaumtenhoid wrote: add permissions
sees the pms as the mod reader pm
to have a button to edit, that when pressed anger it shows the pms in code as it is now.
I'm sorry but I do not understand what you are suggesting. If you are saying that my MOD should somehow control what PMs a moderator can see, I do not plan to do that. I see my MOD as a tool for board administrators, not for forum moderators. I am not aware of any relationship that ties PMs to specific forums so that one could know which forum moderator should manage them.

Also, I have no plans to provide a way for administrators to edit other people's private messages.
Last edited by twosheds_ on Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TwoSheds

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”