[MODDB] Private Message Moderation

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
twosheds_

Re: [RC] Private Message Moderation

Post by twosheds_ » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:26 am

I don't know what to tell you. It sounds like you did the right things. What exactly happens when you click the "Private Messages" tab in the ACP?
TwoSheds
twosheds at twosheds dot com
http://twosheds.com

Jackanape
Name: Jack Drury

Post by Jackanape » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:49 pm

This looks like a powerful tool, both for ensuring the safety of the board and its members--I have had to go in and find potentially threatening PMs in the past to maintain our community--and for pruning the PM database!

I look forward to trying it, but I will likely wait until the Admin configuration is added. For this sort of thing, I prefer to have those permissions only attached to my master admin account, that I use only for major admin work, so that neither I nor my other admins will start sifting through PMs more than absolutely necessary...or be seen as doing so. I prefer to have that sort of power attached to a single, rarely used account, to ensure the trust of the membership.
~Extending the rule of meticulous exactitude to exaspirating punctillio...still.~
Treat your phpBB like a member of the family--Update and MOD her by hand, with HTML-Kit
: : Wanna Talk Poker? : : Image : :

image45
Name: Robert

Post by image45 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:14 pm

I look forward to trying it, but I will likely wait until the Admin configuration is added. For this sort of thing, I prefer to have those permissions only attached to my master admin account, that I use only for major admin work, so that neither I nor my other admins will start sifting through PMs more than absolutely necessary...or be seen as doing so. I prefer to have that sort of power attached to a single, rarely used account, to ensure the trust of the membership.
That was my point with regards to access to this even in the ACP were you would normally not have to worry about people in this area.

Rob

imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

Post by imkingdavid » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:17 pm

Jackanape wrote:This looks like a powerful tool, both for ensuring the safety of the board and its members--I have had to go in and find potentially threatening PMs in the past to maintain our community--and for pruning the PM database!

Well, there is a way to do this currently, although it may be more work than it's worth.

Unless you have set your Admins' permissions differently than the default ones and changed the System Tab settings, only Founders have access to the Module Management area. So what you could do is use your founder account to enable/disable the Private Message Moderation ACP module as needed. Your other admins will not be able to access the Module Manager, and you can just enable it for the short time that you need to look through it, and then you can disable it again. It's actually not too difficult, as it's just a few extra clicks each time, but it's the only way to get that security you're looking for until better permissions are created for this.

Anyway, just a suggestion for you to try out. ;)
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

image45

Post by image45 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:21 pm

imkingdavid wrote:
Jackanape wrote:This looks like a powerful tool, both for ensuring the safety of the board and its members--I have had to go in and find potentially threatening PMs in the past to maintain our community--and for pruning the PM database!

Well, there is a way to do this currently, although it may be more work than it's worth.

Unless you have set your Admins' permissions differently than the default ones and changed the System Tab settings, only Founders have access to the Module Management area. So what you could do is use your founder account to enable/disable the Private Message Moderation ACP module as needed. Your other admins will not be able to access the Module Manager, and you can just enable it for the short time that you need to look through it, and then you can disable it again. It's actually not too difficult, as it's just a few extra clicks each time, but it's the only way to get that security you're looking for until better permissions are created for this.

Anyway, just a suggestion for you to try out. ;)
I was thinking about using this the otherday and now you have suggested it too.

Well done and thank you!

twosheds_

Post by twosheds_ » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:32 am

Ok, I'll work on tightening up the security on this thing. Right now I'm thinking of accomplishing this by adding a new "Administrative permission" that one can use to control which admin roles see this module and which do not. This would be similar to the "Can use AutoMOD" permission that gets added when AutoMOD is installed. With this approach the default setting would be "Founders only" and you would have to grant this permission manually to any other administrative roles that needed to use the Private Messages module.

Does that sound like it will meet the need?
TwoSheds

imkingdavid
Former Team Member

Post by imkingdavid » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:18 pm

twosheds_ wrote:Ok, I'll work on tightening up the security on this thing. Right now I'm thinking of accomplishing this by adding a new "Administrative permission" that one can use to control which admin roles see this module and which do not. This would be similar to the "Can use AutoMOD" permission that gets added when AutoMOD is installed. With this approach the default setting would be "Founders only" and you would have to grant this permission manually to any other administrative roles that needed to use the Private Messages module.

Does that sound like it will meet the need?
I think that's a good idea to make it by default only available for founders, but allow them to give other people permission. An Administrator permission sounds like a good idea to me, as it would be much easier than the alternative I mentioned above. :)

twosheds_

Post by twosheds_ » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:48 pm

Ok, I've made v1.5.4 available. It includes the admin permission I mentioned above. Download and installation instructions are in the first post in this thread.

By default, the Private Messages ACP module will only be visible to founders. To allow other administrators to use it you will need to grant the "Can moderate private messages" permission to whatever role those administrators are part of.

This is done in the ACP in the Permissions tab. Select "Admin roles" in the left nav. Click the green sprocket to edit the role that you want to change. You will find the "Can moderate private messages" permission under the "Misc" tab in the Administrative Permissions section of the page.
TwoSheds

imkingdavid
Former Team Member

Post by imkingdavid » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:52 pm

twosheds_ wrote:Ok, I've made v1.5.4 available. It includes the admin permission I mentioned above. Download and installation instructions are in the first post in this thread.

By default, the Private Messages ACP module will only be visible to founders. To allow other administrators to use it you will need to grant the "Can moderate private messages" permission to whatever role those administrators are part of.

This is done in the ACP in the Permissions tab. Select "Admin roles" in the left nav. Click the green sprocket to edit the role that you want to change. You will find the "Can moderate private messages" permission under the "Misc" tab in the Administrative Permissions section of the page.
Awesome! I'll test it out. :)

blauferron
Name: Bone A Ferron

Post by blauferron » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:23 am

Hi,

is there anything that i have to adapt when i use a prosilver based style?
If in install it with autoMod and select the tab in the acp it just says,
that the template folder of my style is missing the "acp_privmsgs_mod.html".
when i take it from the adm/style folder and copy it to my theme it opens but
appears to be broken design.

Can you maybe tell me what i do wrong?

thx a lot

twosheds_

Post by twosheds_ » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:39 pm

The ACP does not use the board themes like prosilver or subsilver, it has it's own theme. The files for the ACP theme are in the adm/style/ directory. That's where acp_privmsgs_mod.html goes, along with acp_privmsgs_mod.css and acp_privmsgs_mod.js.

AutoMOD should have put the files in the right places for you so the fact that that apparently didn't happen worries me. Is the directory structure changed somehow in your install? For example, you're not trying to install this on phpBB v2 are you? If your phpBB does not run on Windows, then check the file permissions. Maybe AutoMOD copied the files in with permissions that are preventing the userid the web server runs under from accessing them.
TwoSheds

blauferron

Post by blauferron » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:34 pm

twosheds_ wrote:The ACP does not use the board themes like prosilver or subsilver, it has it's own theme. The files for the ACP theme are in the adm/style/ directory. That's where acp_privmsgs_mod.html goes, along with acp_privmsgs_mod.css and acp_privmsgs_mod.js.
Hi twosheds_

thank you for your quick response, AutoMOD did copy does files to the adm/style directory but after finishing the installation, when i clicked the TAB in the ACP is showed me the following error message:

Code: Select all

template->_tpl_load_file(): File ./../styles/proFormell/template/acp_privmsgs_mod.html does not exist or is empty
and i therefore copied all three files to the template folder of my file whereafter it did open the TAB but looking like this:

The permission for all the file were modify, read & execute, read and write, so i think this should be ok.

twosheds_

Post by twosheds_ » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:15 pm

So, from the error message, it is looking for the template files in the proFormell theme directories. As far as I know, that's wrong. It should be looking in the adm/style directory. If I delete adm/style/acp_privmsgs_mod.html from my board then the error I get is:

Code: Select all

template->_tpl_load_file(): File ./style/acp_privmsgs_mod.html does not exist or is empty
It's only looking in adm/style as I expected.

Do you have some other mod installed that causes your ACP to use your default style or something? Does the rest of your ACP look like it's using the proFormell theme, or something different? (See the screenshot in the first post in this thread as an example of the normal ACP theme.)
TwoSheds

blauferron

Post by blauferron » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:44 pm

Ah... okay. I hear what you're saying.
The ACP does look like your screenshot but i do have some other mods installed (contact_admin, advanced last topic titles, acp add user, adaptive hide codes, attendance mod and the troll mod). I could imagine that the troll mod might cause these complications, as it was only in an alpha state. I will try to install this mod fresh on a backup from before the troll mod installation and see whether something chances.

Thx for bringing up the idea :)

edit: YES! You were right. Now its working. Thank you very much :D

image45

Post by image45 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:25 pm

v1.5.4 (2010-03-21)
Added the "Can moderate private messages" administrative permission in the "Misc" category to control which administrators are able to see this module in the ACP.
v1.5.3 (2010-03-11)
Does this version install through AutoMOD fully or are there any diy instructions like adding any new modules to the ACP after the install has run?

My phpBB Current version is 3.0.5
my AutoMOD Version is 1.0.0-RC3
The phpBB team never reviewed version 1.5.2.
Will you be putting v1.5.4 forward at all?

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”