[DEV] Role Playing Forum - The "Script" - v. Pre-Dev

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
MasterZ

[DEV] Role Playing Forum - The "Script" - v. Pre-Dev

Post by MasterZ »

Modification Name: Role Playing Forum
Author: MasterZ

Modification Description: Integrates an RPGish game into the forum. This is not a game added to the forum that is played seperately (like Advanced Dungeons & Rabits), but is played thyough actual forum use. Posting costs MP (which is limited so this is used to limit posts from new users as well), but doing actions like posting and voting gives experience which levels up the Forum Member.

Modification Version: PRE-DEV (Still in the planning stages)
Download: N/A

Requirements: PHP 5.2

Features:
  • Every player starts at level 1 with set amount of HP and MP
  • Performing actions costs MP (Edit Signature, post, vote)
  • Gain levels and experience through posting
  • Gain exp by people replying to your topics (up to a set amount per day)
  • More to come...
Importnat Links: Development Team
Last edited by MasterZ on Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
MasterZ

Re: [DEV] Role Playing Forum - The "Script" - v. Pre-Dev

Post by MasterZ »

If you are in support of this project, please say so. Seeing people involved in this MOD (even just coming up with ideas) and showing their support is what makes us (the Development Team) eager to work on this MOD, so please, go to the "Script" forum or post here to share your ideas.

Thank you,

- JonZ
T3h Antek

Post by T3h Antek »

I would love to see this come to life, great ideas there and it's something my members would really enjoy
having. I've been looking for something like this for months so am really happy to see that someone
has taken this up. :D

Will be sure to post some ideas later on, once I have a more detailed look at this mod, great work.

Antek
Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias »

Seems very interesting!

Will keep an eye on this one ;)
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
Offering private web hosting. Contact me for details.
sitwi

Post by sitwi »

Interested.... but how far through dev are you? I've seen projects like this come and go...
T3h Antek

Post by T3h Antek »

Well I've gone over the script a little and here are some ideas, maybe.

1st Your project would get even more attention if you make it work with
Points and Shop .

Those two + Your rpg mod would work wonders, people can post, earn gold, buy items
and use those items in the rpg like what was said in your script
Gear
Gear can effect various stats, like increase stamina or do extra damage to a dragon or even help out in PvP (depending on how that system works out)
So users could buy grear using those two mods and make it work using yours, maybe so that
any gear put into the store can be edited by admin in the acp to have certain effects during
the rpg.
Plus it was mentioned that items could be found whilst posting which is a great idea, that may give
users the ability to trade with other users, using all the mods together. Sell the items back to the
store and make some extra cash to buy better items to use in the rpg.

Experience - Posting, people replying to your topic - Good ideas.
How about experience for getting friends to join the site. Good way to get more members.
Maybe you can somehow add not pvp but pve, where when posting people can run into
monsters, so lets say you have forums with different level monsters and on posting in that
forum you can run into them be "luck" and depending on what lvl the monster is "random" you
will gain a certain amount of XP and lose a certain amount of MP.

Maybe users can chose what level monsters they would like to encounter, max 5 levels ahead of themselves,
giving them an opportunity to gain more xp by facing higher lvls but also losing more hp
IF they have not got any good Gear.

I am full of ideas, I'll go over it a little more and post something again a little later.

EDIT : Ok i had a little vision, the xp for people replying to your post is a bad idea if you
work with a board currency as later on "rich" users will pay "poor" users to reply to their topics
making them lvl up faster and easier.
MasterZ

Post by MasterZ »

sitwi wrote:Interested.... but how far through dev are you? I've seen projects like this come and go...
We are just starting the planning of it. I will see it through to the finish as long as there is desire for it. Especially since I want the MOD on my forum as well. :)
T3h Antek wrote:1st Your project would get even more attention if you make it work with
Points and Shop .
I would like that, just do not know how that will happen at this moment.
T3h Antek wrote:How about experience for getting friends to join the site.
That is a good idea as well. I was thinking of either exp or getting a random item when someone joins via a link request, but I'm not sure if I want that built into my MOD itself or have someone use another MOD that tracks that and just insert a line of code that would tell the RPF mod to give exp or an item. Having a great API system in RPF will ensure this can happen easily.
T3h Antek wrote:pve, where when posting people can run into
monsters, so lets say you have forums with different level monsters and on posting in that
forum you can run into them be "luck" and depending on what lvl the monster is "random" you
will gain a certain amount of XP and lose a certain amount of MP.
That sounds like a good idea. Maybe have the level of the monsters appear be based on how busy the forum/topic is.
T3h Antek wrote:Ok i had a little vision, the xp for people replying to your post is a bad idea if you
work with a board currency as later on "rich" users will pay "poor" users to reply to their topics
making them lvl up faster and easier.
Something will have to be done to prevent spam or abuse of the system, just have to find out how. The thought I have is have a max amount of exp gained via this method per day.
Elias

Post by Elias »

Would be nice if this MOD did not depend on any other MODs unless created by the same team.

Like that we do not have to make sure the other MODs are up to date and what not.

Thanks
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
MasterZ

Post by MasterZ »

It will not depend on any other MODs, but other MODs will be able to plugin to this MOD if they wish to. Or the board master can make the integration easily enough. At least that is the plan.
knmt

Post by knmt »

I also like the idea of this mod. I like things that are simple but an integration with a point MOD would be nice. Please keep it up :D

Btw your site fits perfectly with Absolution Style hehe.
MasterZ

Post by MasterZ »

knmt wrote:I also like the idea of this mod. I like things that are simple
Thanks! :D
knmt wrote: an integration with a point MOD would be nice.
We might work on that, or at least make it easy to do.
knmt wrote:Btw your site fits perfectly with Absolution Style hehe.
Thanks again! I am liking the style so far and I like how the phpBB OpenID MOD fits into it.

By the way, we now have a WIki Site setup to start documenting all of this, although only the development team will have login or write access. Keep discussing things in the RPF Forum, then we will move things to the wiki as decisions get made.

Also I added the Smartfeed MOD so you can easily track the development and discussion of this MOD from your RSS reader.
MasterZ

Post by MasterZ »

I am working on the details for some type of PvE battles right now. One thing I am lacking on ideas of is PvP. Does anybody have ideas on how PvP should work?

One person suggested that the PvP battle be an area where you pick your opponent then play Rock Paper Scissors to determine a winner.

Any more ideas?

If you want more space to discuss it feel free to go here: http://zenorsoft.com/community/viewforum.php?f=59
MasterZ

Post by MasterZ »

I'm trying to decide what to do about items in the game. Should we have them? Should items just be rewards for things and only showed off in the profile and have no real other use? Or should items give stat bonuses to players?

Speaking of stat bonuses, what stats do we want? Is the PvP system going to be based on strength and defense or just go much simpler with something like rock paper scissors?

Lots of things to discuss about this MOD, please help us out. :)
http://zenorsoft.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=59
Elias

Post by Elias »

I would suggest the following:

Right now in the description, it says that posting costs some sort of "money". I would suggest that when a user posts on the forums, they will gain "money" and with that money, users can use it to buy items from the inventory or the shop and do many stuff with that money (you can also have a lottery system to win some rare items, etc.)

Every item has an attack/defense stat (let's say the item is a Machete, well then it is more of an attack item so that item's stat could be: 11 Attack and 3 Defense. You can then find the total of all your items' Attack and the Defense and by that you can get to see who is stronger.

All items that that user has collected are shown in the user's profile.

Thanks
keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

What is PvP?

I definitely agree with the idea of having this integrated with the Ultimate Points Mod and the UPM Easy Shop. It will make things ssssoooo much easier when it comes to earn Cash (Points, etc.) and purchasing items :idea:

The Ultimate Points Mod is already in the ModDB and I'm sure the Easy Shop Mod Addon will be there as well.

My question is how exactly is the game going to be played? I know you mentioned it will be based on posts but I'm still unclear...

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”