[DEV] Role Playing Forum - The "Script" - v. Pre-Dev

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
Elias
Name: Elias

Re: [DEV] Role Playing Forum - The "Script" - v. Pre-Dev

Post by Elias »

keith10456 wrote:My question is how exactly is the game going to be played? I know you mentioned it will be based on posts but I'm still unclear...
Not sure of that as he says:
MasterZ wrote:Posting costs MP
If it costs to post then how do we actually start gaining the "MP $" to be able to post.

That also brings me to say that it would be better if when a user posts, he gains X MP $ and with that money they can use it in the game.

Thanks
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
Offering private web hosting. Contact me for details.
MasterZ

Post by MasterZ »

keith10456 wrote:My question is how exactly is the game going to be played? I know you mentioned it will be based on posts but I'm still unclear...
The game will be played by doing your normal forum activities (for the most part). You gain experience and levels by posting, participating in polls, and doing other actions that encourage board activity. There will be certain types of boss fights that you fight by posting normal messages in a certain forum.

The trick is to make this game encourage normal board activity without making people spam the board just to get their level up. And I just had an idea.. maybe the experience you gain from posting could be based on how long the post is. If you post spam and the moderator deletes it then you will be punished and lose more than you gained in the first place. Hmm, will have to think that one through a little more.
EY wrote:Right now in the description, it says that posting costs some sort of "money".
Not money, MP, which stands for Mana Points. Basically it will cost MP to post, cannot post if you have less than the required cost, and your MP will recharge slowly every hour. Here is all the info I have on MP for the "Script" so far: http://rpfwiki.zenorsoft.com/wiki/Mana_Points_%28MP%29
EY wrote:Every item has an attack/defense stat (let's say the item is a Machete, well then it is more of an attack item so that item's stat could be: 11 Attack and 3 Defense. You can then find the total of all your items' Attack and the Defense and by that you can get to see who is stronger.
You have definitely given me something to think about, thanks. :)
Elias

Post by Elias »

MasterZ wrote:Not money, MP, which stands for Mana Points. Basically it will cost MP to post, cannot post if you have less than the required cost, and your MP will recharge slowly every hour.
I really think this should be re-planned or have an option for it in the ACP to be able to set it to receive MP when a user posts or to remove MP when a user posts.

Thanks
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
MasterZ

Post by MasterZ »

EY wrote:I really think this should be re-planned or have an option for it in the ACP to be able to set it to receive MP when a user posts or to remove MP when a user posts.
That is kind of the whole point of this game, to limit how much someone can do in the forum unless they are an active member of the forum. The more you are active the quicker you will gain levels which in turn makes it so you have more access to the forums.

I see what you are saying. For many things in the game there will be configuration options to tweak it how you want it, but this one feature would re-engineer the entire architecture of the game so that is not really possible.

If you want a points mod there are lots of those available that will do what you are asking, and a points MOD hopefully will work well with this MOD once it is done.
Elias

Post by Elias »

Alright, good looks 8-)
simvader

Post by simvader »

Looks interesting, can't wait to test it out! :)
keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

MasterZ wrote:Not money, MP, which stands for Mana Points. Basically it will cost MP to post, cannot post if you have less than the required cost, and your MP will recharge slowly every hour. Here is all the info I have on MP for the "Script" so far: http://rpfwiki.zenorsoft.com/wiki/Mana_Points_%28MP%29
I think the Ultimate Points Mod would be fine for that.
MasterZ

Post by MasterZ »

keith10456 wrote:
MasterZ wrote:Not money, MP, which stands for Mana Points. Basically it will cost MP to post, cannot post if you have less than the required cost, and your MP will recharge slowly every hour. Here is all the info I have on MP for the "Script" so far: http://rpfwiki.zenorsoft.com/wiki/Mana_Points_%28MP%29
The ultimate points MOD does all of that already? I hope not, I was hoping this MOD would be unique in how it worked. :p
keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

MasterZ wrote:
keith10456 wrote:
The ultimate points MOD does all of that already? I hope not, I was hoping this MOD would be unique in how it worked. :p
Not everything as you described... But you earn as you post and the more you post the more Points you earn.

But why hope not?! That would be less for you to have to code? As I previously stated, the UPM is already in the moddb so that says a lot.
Elias

Post by Elias »

keith10456 wrote:
MasterZ wrote:
keith10456 wrote:
Not everything as you described... But you earn as you post and the more you post the more Points you earn.

But why hope not?! That would be less for you to have to code? As I previously stated, the UPM is already in the moddb so that says a lot.
The ultimate points MOD gives you "cash" when you post.

This game, will require you to "pay" to post.

Thanks
MasterZ

Post by MasterZ »

EY wrote:The ultimate points MOD gives you "cash" when you post.

This game, will require you to "pay" to post.

Thanks
You got it! :D A bit more than that but that is a very basic way to look at it.
MasterZ

Post by MasterZ »

Should we have a strength and defense stat?

Pros
  • Would make PvP and other battles easier to calculate
Cons
  • Another stat to manage
In keeping with the simplistic nature of the game we need to make the stat easy to manage. Typically in an RPG you start with a set amount and it increases per level. I think we should do something a little different. If we use this stat we should make it increase based on activity. I was thinking something along the lines of the longer the post is the more the strength increases, although by a very small amount, but the post size will make a big difference.

The only thing to figure out is what will be the difference between determining STR and DEF? Maybe Def is increased through posting posts and Str increases through creating Topics? I don't know, there has to be something better.
MasterZ

Post by MasterZ »

Idea...

Str increases by a tiny amount when you attack someone, the more damage you deal the more you gain, but attacking a lower level person makes you gain less.

Something along the lines of (DAMAGE_DEALT - (MY_LEVEL - OPPONENT_LEVEL)) / 1000

Damage dealt could be something along the lines of (d(20) + MY_STR - OPPONENT_DEF) (Where d(20) is a random number between 1 and 20).

Def increases by a tiny amount when you are attacked. The more damage you take the more you gain, but you gain less by being attacked by a higher level.

This goes for PvP or PvE battles.

It will take some ironing out but at first glance I think this would work well. What do you think? All of this is still a work in progress, so please comment so we can iron out the details some more.

Feel free to discuss this either here or on the RPF Discussion Board.
simvader

Post by simvader »

when are you expecting a test version?

I am very curious :mrgreen:
MasterZ

Post by MasterZ »

simvader wrote:when are you expecting a test version?

I am very curious :mrgreen:
This absolutely 100% depends on you, and how many other people participate in the discussions. :)

We will not start programming until we have the plans pretty solid. Every single person that posts helps our plans get more solid.

Right now if you look at the RPF Developer Forum it is almost entirely made up of posts by me, which means plans get made only as quickly as I can think about them. When others participate and give their ideas it really helps us to form solid plans to develop on, so the more people post their ideas and contribute the quicker we get to development.

If people get going on the ideas we could see development start before the month is up, but if it is just me then it could be well into Summer before we get to a good enough place to start writing code.

The reason is that we do not want to start programming, only to change how some of the base functionality works part way through and then end up having to scrap the code and start over. Just like you do not start building the house until the blue-prints are complete.

For example, right now I am trying to decide how to work the Strength and Defense stats, exactly how they will be used, how they increase and how quickly they increase, or if they are even needed at all. I am racking my brain trying to figure that out. But if people with other ideas that I cannot see at this time were to post those ideas it could very quickly bring resolution to that discussion. That happened with the discussion on items. Someone just made a post here with their thoughts and it gave me enough insight to move forward and make a (semi-)final decision about how Items will work.

So yeah... if you want to see a dev and beta version quickly, help contribute. :D

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”