[ABD] SMS Notification

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
LtKvasir

[ABD] SMS Notification

Post by LtKvasir » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:20 am

Modification Name: SMS Notify
Author: LtKvasir

Modification Description:: A small mod which adds a sms notification to the board similar to the "watch topic" email notification.
Modification Version:: 0.0.1

Features:
  • -the topic title will be send as sms text if a new post is written in a topic / forum watched
  • -can be turned on/off in the acp
  • -settings for the sms provider can be set in the acp
  • -the mod can be set so that sms are sent every new post in a watched topic, even if there are unread ones
  • -forums / topics can be watched with sms notification (similar to email)
  • -permissions to use sms notification can be set for user (global) and forums (local)

The mod features the sms provider "Firmensms.at" (http://www.firmensms.at). I use this provider for personal reasons and do not want to advertise this one. The mod is written so that other providers can be implemented quite easily(or at least I tried to write it that way).

Personal Comments:
  • Keep in mind, that the forum host has to pay for all the sms send
  • Since I'm fairly new to PhpBB modding I appreciate any comments on the mod, not only it's functionality but also the coding style and mod coding conventions.
Modification Download:
version 0.0.1: SMS_notification_001.zip
version 0.0.2: SMS_notification_002.zip
Last edited by LtKvasir on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:27 am, edited 4 times in total.

darkonia

Re: [beta] SMS Notification

Post by darkonia » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:51 am

how about a UCP function for the users to pay serself and choose their own sms provider
MMOG-Heaven - Das Gaming Portal
Community bedeutet Gleichgesinnte finden - MMOG-Heaven ist Deine Community! Von Spielern für Spieler bietet Dir dieses Portal genau das, was ein Spieler braucht. Bleibe ständig informiert, finde die neuesten MMORPGs, oder suche die frischesten News aus der Welt des Online Gamings - dieses und vieles mehr erwartet Dich auf MMOG-Heaven.

LtKvasir

Post by LtKvasir » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:07 am

Jep you're right. I also thought of this one.
Actually there are a few ideas that would be helpful.

For the Forum I was modding this in the first place I need the host to pay the fees. That's why I wrote it this way. I hope I'll find the time to extend it to a UCP version too. However, i fear this won't happen to soon.

mtrs

Post by mtrs » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:17 am

Nice mod, thanks.
Also, Post/PM Report SMS notification option would be good.
I abandoned all of my mods.

Neuropass

Post by Neuropass » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:17 pm

what about English language? i can see only DE there...

darkonia

Post by darkonia » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:25 pm

i can make a translation :ugeek:
MMOG-Heaven - Das Gaming Portal
Community bedeutet Gleichgesinnte finden - MMOG-Heaven ist Deine Community! Von Spielern für Spieler bietet Dir dieses Portal genau das, was ein Spieler braucht. Bleibe ständig informiert, finde die neuesten MMORPGs, oder suche die frischesten News aus der Welt des Online Gamings - dieses und vieles mehr erwartet Dich auf MMOG-Heaven.

Neuropass

Post by Neuropass » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:13 pm

darkonia wrote:i can make a translation :ugeek:

that would be great, so i can test it mate...

Another thing that i'm not sure i understood.... Do the user have to pay to receive the notification?

LtKvasir

Post by LtKvasir » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:00 pm

Thank you for your replies so far.

I'll add the Post / PM Report SMS to the "to do" list. It's a good idea and certainly less work than implementing the ucp function.

It's not too much to translate - so I could make a translation too. But if Darkonia is willing to do it, I'd be grateful.

In the mods current version the users do not have to pay for the notification. The sms-provider login can be specified in the acp. This account is then used for sending the sms and therefore has to pay it. In other words the account the administrator / host specifies in the acp pays for all the sms send.

mutank
Name: Dominic Struczynski

Post by mutank » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:50 am

Great MOD. Once you add the post/PM notifications into the MOD, i'll be sure to add this MOD into my site.

Do you have any idea how long it will take before that becomes a reality?

maxwell2

Post by maxwell2 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:30 am

Not necessarily have to pay, in Poland operators allow you to send 5 SMS for free with any network.

So far I failed to properly configure the modification work :oops:

mtrs

Post by mtrs » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:34 am

LtKvasir wrote:I'll add the Post / PM Report SMS to the "to do" list. It's a good idea and certainly less work than implementing the ucp function.
You can even add SMS notification of Unapproved Posts, it is also easy to do. http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1646415 mod does it by sending e-mails, so can be helpful to look at for SMS case.
I abandoned all of my mods.

LtKvasir

Post by LtKvasir » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:07 am

@mutank: I'm quite busy atm, but I'll try to speed it up. As far as I know myself coding problems tend to be priorized in my mind so chances are good I'll try to add it asap.

@maxwell: So far you are forced to use Firmensms.at with that mod - except of course you already added your own sms provider into the mod.
Where did you fail to configure the mod?

@mtrs: thx for the link. I'll have a look at this one.

Neuropass

Post by Neuropass » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:02 pm

LtKvasir wrote:Thank you for your replies so far.

I'll add the Post / PM Report SMS to the "to do" list. It's a good idea and certainly less work than implementing the ucp function.

It's not too much to translate - so I could make a translation too. But if Darkonia is willing to do it, I'd be grateful.

In the mods current version the users do not have to pay for the notification. The sms-provider login can be specified in the acp. This account is then used for sending the sms and therefore has to pay it. In other words the account the administrator / host specifies in the acp pays for all the sms send.

man great mod, but the thing is that on a busy forum, this will cost you a fortune...

LtKvasir

Post by LtKvasir » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:40 pm

You're right with the mod being expensive. I coded this one for a closed forum where members have to pay for access. Additionally you can limit the sms notification to specific forums, so that you have some control over the costs.

I developed the mod to 0.0.2 now. It now includes sms notification for PM and it will now also send sms if Moderators approve topics.

The pm sms is enabled in the ucp in a module of it's own (the upper setting activates PM - no english so far - sorry). I also included ID, Passwort and Provider fields in the ucp which don't have a function yet but will be used for users specifying their own provider and thus paying for the sms.

To keep it short: Features 0.0.2
  • Added PM / Post approve SMS notification
  • Possibility to use PM SMS notification can be set by a global user permission in the acp
  • User activtes PM SMS notification in the UCP
I didn't get to translate it to english so far. Sorry for that. Will do that soon.

LtKvasir

Post by LtKvasir » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:15 pm

I've added the english language to the 0.0.2 mod now. It's not the best english I'm capable of, but it should work for now ...

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”