[MODDB] Topic Age Warning

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

[MODDB] Topic Age Warning

Post by imkingdavid » Mon May 03, 2010 10:57 pm

Modification Name: Topic Age Warning
Author: imkingdavid

Modification Description:: This MOD will show a warning when they attempt to reply to a topic that has not been replied to for a specified interval.
Modification Version:: 0.1.3 BETA

Requirements: phpBB 3.0.7-PL1 and later

Screenshots:
Normal Warning Message
Normal Locked Post Warning Message
ACP Settings area in Post settings module

Features:
(note: use of word "interval" refers to time period since last reply OR original topic date, depending on settings, after which the warning will be shown)
  • Display a warning after interval has passed when user attempts to reply.
  • Customize interval via ACP
  • Choose whether interval is from laster reply or from original topic date.
  • Option to lock topic automatically when a user attempts to reply to a topic that has reached the interval time
  • Option to either (1) hide quick reply in forums in which quick reply is enabled when topic is past the interval; or (2) show quick reply with the same warning as a normal reply. [NOTE: Only works with phpBB's native quick reply!]
  • Optionally exempt topic author from rule [NOTE: Users with Moderator powers in that forum are always exempted!]
Modification Download: v0.1.3 BETA

----------

Let me know what you think. Any feature suggestions?

I have a Git repository set up here if you would like to get the latest unstable version (in "/trunk/").
Last edited by imkingdavid on Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

DoYouSpeakWak
Name: Hans Lassen

Re: [DEV] Topic Age Warning

Post by DoYouSpeakWak » Tue May 04, 2010 11:52 am

I love this idea, Its a very valued feature in other forum softwares.

Only suggestion is to make it light, piggy back on phpbb database table/fields. And maybe to give the admin the option to choose if the interval is set after latest reply or Original post date of topic.

On existing boards this new interval settting could be a good idea. On our board we have some old topics that people have replied on once a year or so without any meaning. With the option of lock automatic after x time of topic start date, these wold be locked or at least the warning would show if new post were tried to be made.

Good luck with this one, It IS a good idea.
Whatever you share comes back. Support the phpBB Communities
My Validated and Released Modifications
Offering paid phpBB help and System administrator services.

Anyasha
Name: Anyasha

Post by Anyasha » Tue May 04, 2010 4:13 pm

I have been hoping for this for quite some time! *bookmarks*
Kiss me, I'm Polish!

imkingdavid
Former Team Member

Post by imkingdavid » Tue May 04, 2010 6:59 pm

DoYouSpeakWak wrote:I love this idea, Its a very valued feature in other forum softwares.
Yeah I was browsing a forum powered by vBulletin and saw a related feature, where in the topic list it showed the age of the topic (e.g. "1 day old") right next to the topic title. So that sort of reminded me of this type of thing. :)
DoYouSpeakWak wrote:Only suggestion is to make it light, piggy back on phpbb database table/fields. And maybe to give the admin the option to choose if the interval is set after latest reply or Original post date of topic.
I plan on using the existing fields, but I haven't checked yet to see what all is already there. I'm hoping theres a "last reply time" type of field in the phpbb_topics table so I don't need to query the actual post.

As for the option between last reply or original topic creation date, that will be taken into consideration.
DoYouSpeakWak wrote:On existing boards this new interval settting could be a good idea. On our board we have some old topics that people have replied on once a year or so without any meaning. With the option of lock automatic after x time of topic start date, these wold be locked or at least the warning would show if new post were tried to be made.
Yeah I've seen on various boards (including phpBB.com) where topics that are one or two years old get bumped, such as old MOD Development topics, when the MOD author hasn't been around for ages. So I think this should be added to phpBB's core, but for now it will do as a MOD.
DoYouSpeakWak wrote:Good luck with this one, It IS a good idea.
and
Anyasha wrote:I have been hoping for this for quite some time! *bookmarks*
Thanks for showing interest, guys. It makes me more willing to get started when other people want it. :)

Jorup16
Name: Jorge

Post by Jorup16 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:04 pm

Excellent idea.
Every time I like more the forums phpBB3

imkingdavid
Former Team Member

Post by imkingdavid » Tue May 04, 2010 9:28 pm

Jorup16 wrote:Excellent idea.
Every time I like more the forums phpBB3
Thanks for showing interest. And I agree... phpBB is awesome since it's so easy to add whatever feature you want. :lol:

EDIT: BTW, development has started. The latest development stuff is on the repository, so if you want to, you can check it out. It has an installer that has not been tested yet. There is no ACP module yet, but other than that it should work with no issues; you just have to manually test it yourself. ;)

imkingdavid
Former Team Member

Re: [BETA] Topic Age Warning

Post by imkingdavid » Wed May 05, 2010 12:13 am

MOD Updated to 0.1.0 BETA

Changes from 0.0.0 DEV to 0.1.0 BETA:
[Release] First BETA version released. Test away!

All features listed in the first post have been implemented. Let me know what works and doesn't work.

NOTE: Update instructions may or may not be released with BETA versions. As such, it is higly recommended that you DO NOT install this on a live board until at least the RC stage (update instructions will then be released).

A code cleanup will be performed after a while. Once no bugs are found, the MOD will be submitted for validation. Thanks to all testers in advance!

MOD information and download/repository links in first post.

imkingdavid
Former Team Member

Post by imkingdavid » Wed May 05, 2010 2:15 am

MOD Updated to 0.1.1 BETA

Changes from 0.1.0 BETA to 0.1.1 BETA:
[change] moved all code from posting.php into new file: includes/functions_taw.php

To Update: Upload includes/functions_taw.php and undo old posting.php edits. Then do new posting.php edits.
Or just uninstall and reinstall. No SQL changes were made, so no need to run the install file again.

Please report all bugs or errors here.

Jorup16
Name: Jorge

Post by Jorup16 » Thu May 06, 2010 12:08 am

imkingdavid
Former Team Member

Post by imkingdavid » Thu May 06, 2010 1:10 am

Jorup16 wrote:Thanks :)
You're welcome. Have you had a chance to try it out any? If so, please let me know how it works. :)

Lastpost

Post by Lastpost » Thu May 06, 2010 12:46 pm

Works fine here, no comments really because it does what it says.
Nice feature, a keeper for me. 8-)

DoYouSpeakWak
Name: Hans Lassen

Post by DoYouSpeakWak » Thu May 06, 2010 3:03 pm

This looks good, i had the chance to test it today, well it will be another day before i can see if it works, but i did notice a few things that have to be fixed for validation.

In install.xml replace this

Code: Select all

<find><![CDATA[	'BUMP_INTERVAL'					=> 'Bump interval',
	'BUMP_INTERVAL_EXPLAIN'			=> 'Number of minutes, hours or days between the last post to a topic and the ability to bump this topic.',]]></find>
With this

'BUMP_INTERVAL_EXPLAIN'			=> 'Number of minutes, hours or days between the last post to a topic and the ability to bump this topic. Setting the value to 0 disables this feature.',]]></find>
That makes it work with automod.

The installer will not run without umil. Download latest and put it in root and give it a go in the mpv. :)
Whatever you share comes back. Support the phpBB Communities
My Validated and Released Modifications
Offering paid phpBB help and System administrator services.

imkingdavid
Former Team Member

Post by imkingdavid » Thu May 06, 2010 6:57 pm

DoYouSpeakWak wrote:This looks good, i had the chance to test it today, well it will be another day before i can see if it works, but i did notice a few things that have to be fixed for validation.

In install.xml replace this

'BUMP_INTERVAL_EXPLAIN'			=> 'Number of minutes, hours or days between the last post to a topic and the ability to bump this topic.',]]></find>
With this

'BUMP_INTERVAL_EXPLAIN'			=> 'Number of minutes, hours or days between the last post to a topic and the ability to bump this topic. Setting the value to 0 disables this feature.',]]></find>
That makes it work with automod.

The installer will not run without umil. Download latest and put it in root and give it a go in the mpv. :)
I had run it in MPV and had 0 errors. I had not, however, tried installation with AutoMOD. Thanks for pointing that out. I also know to put UMIL in the folder, but hadn't remembered to for the release.

I'll fix those and repackage it. :)

Also, by the way, you can test it now if you have access to phpMyAdmin, by going into the topics table and changing the topic_last_reply_time entry for the test topic to 1 day back (subtract 86400, which is the number of seconds in the day). But whenever you're able to test is fine.

Anyway, like I said, I'll fix that thing you pointed out and then add UMIL and then repackage it as 0.1.2. Thanks! :)
Lastpost wrote:Works fine here, no comments really because it does what it says.
Nice feature, a keeper for me. 8-)
Thanks for the feedback. I'm releasing 0.1.2 in a little while, but there will be no major changes (other than a change in the install.xml file and adding UMIL) so if you already have it installed, then no need to update. :)

imkingdavid
Former Team Member

Post by imkingdavid » Thu May 06, 2010 7:19 pm

MOD Updated to 0.1.2 BETA

Changes from 0.1.1 BETA to 0.1.2 BETA:
[add] added UMIL folder in root/ so that it can be validated (thanks, DoYouSpeakWak)
[fix] Incorrect FIND in install.xml file prevented AutoMOD installation (thanks, DoYouSpeakWak)

If you have already installed 0.1.2, there is no need to update, since the changes in this update do not in any way affect the efficiency or functionality of this MOD; they are purely to make it work with AutoMOD and allow the MOD to eventually be validated.

In fact, there is pretty much no way to update, as no changes were made to any MOD files except the install.xml file (and the umil files were added). :lol:

However, it is recommended that anyone installing this for the first time uses the new version.

Please report all bugs or errors here.

EDIT: By the way, if there are no bug reports over the next two days (aka by Saturday) I will submit this to the MOD DB and, in doing so, release RC 1, which will most likely once again not require an update. :)

imkingdavid
Former Team Member

Post by imkingdavid » Thu May 06, 2010 9:46 pm

**NOTE** Screenshots have been added into the first post.

Please let me know if you encounter any errors installing or using this MOD.

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”