[DEV] Angry_Sun's Profile Customization Mod

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
Angry_Sun

[DEV] Angry_Sun's Profile Customization Mod

Post by Angry_Sun »

Modification Name: Angry_Sun's Profile Customization Mod
Author: Angry_Sun

Modification Description: When complete it will grant users nearly full control of editing their profile. Colors, fonts, borders, backgrounds, etc...
Modification Version: 0.0.5

Requirements: phpBB 3.x.x

Features:
  • List coming soon
Screenshots:
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k91/K ... crn-30.png

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k91/K ... crn-31.png

Demo URL: http://nintendoland.com/phpBB3_test/mem ... rofile&u=2
Demo Username: test
Demo Password: testtest

Modification Download: Not yet.

-----

If you have any suggestions, comments, complaints, please post, I would like to improve this. Also looking for more ways to let the user customize. I would also like to get an uploader working (for background images). Special thanks to imkingdavid for the php help! :)
Peter77sx

Re: [DEV] Angry_Sun's Profile Customization Mod

Post by Peter77sx »

Great news.. Haven't seen something like this since phpbb2. Anyway, how about choosing already installed/activated templates as profile templates?
Angry_Sun

Post by Angry_Sun »

Peter77sx wrote:Great news.. Haven't seen something like this since phpbb2. Anyway, how about choosing already installed/activated templates as profile templates?
What do you mean? I'm just testing this on a custom style (the memberlist_view.html isn't edited at all though).

I'm thinking about doing something like Lithium Studios did with their blog, and allow users to override the CSS only on their profile page. That way we won't need a heavily edited memberlist_view.html (and overall_header.html if you want the background to be editable)...
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

Angry_Sun wrote:
Peter77sx wrote:Great news.. Haven't seen something like this since phpbb2. Anyway, how about choosing already installed/activated templates as profile templates?
What do you mean? I'm just testing this on a custom style (the memberlist_view.html isn't edited at all though).

I'm thinking about doing something like Lithium Studios did with their blog, and allow users to override the CSS only on their profile page. That way we won't need a heavily edited memberlist_view.html (and overall_header.html if you want the background to be editable)...
Yeap, Lilke the blog mod is what I meant for using templates :)
Dunno about the editing CSS part... A lot of people misunderstand the "add your own css" part to the Blog MOD and think that you can splash a bunch of myspace-style css. If that was possible, it would be cool. Otherwise not every member is css or html savvy. I still have to see what your doing tho.. maybe your going about it a different way. :)

Glad your taking this up. goodluck on development!
darkonia

Post by darkonia »

nice idea and work, thx :ugeek:
MMOG-Heaven - Das Gaming Portal
Community bedeutet Gleichgesinnte finden - MMOG-Heaven ist Deine Community! Von Spielern für Spieler bietet Dir dieses Portal genau das, was ein Spieler braucht. Bleibe ständig informiert, finde die neuesten MMORPGs, oder suche die frischesten News aus der Welt des Online Gamings - dieses und vieles mehr erwartet Dich auf MMOG-Heaven.
kiore

Post by kiore »

Oh cool i have a mod like this for my site but i suck at explaining things so others can put it in and my code is sloppy LOL!
link removed

right now i'm working on a dynamic avatar system....well not really dynamic more like layered images lol
image removed

Lol but how are you doing yours like i did mine through profile fields that change the CSS/style and the CSS is in the memberlist_view.html but if your's is better i might switch over to yours
Last edited by darcie on Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image and link to site removed as unnecessary -http://www.phpbb.com/rules/#rule6a and rules within
Sshadow
Name: Chris C.

Post by Sshadow »

This is excellent news. I love mods that give more choice to users.
Angry_Sun

Post by Angry_Sun »

Yea, I might need help with permissions and things later. Like giving the user the ability to "View profile changes: Yes / No", and other such things.
keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

As stated, most users are not familiar with Css, html, etc. Also, we don't want to duplicate the mistakes of MySpace.

I like the idea of having pre-installed templates, and have the user make a selection from a drop-down menu. A preview of the selections would also be good.

Another benefit to the templates option is the phpbb community can share created templates. A standard could be put together for everyone to follow...

In reference to the current version of the mod great work! I love the fact that the overallheader isn't affected.

I recommend:
  • Remove the Font Size option. Don't want to risk members having HUGE font sizes all over the place. Or text that's too small to read.
  • Have the Font Type/Family options in a drop-down menu.
  • Have the color picker open in a new window instead of being dependent on a 3rd party website.
  • Code the Font Color options so the member doesn't have to include "#"... Which most might forget when they enter the color code.
  • Have an upload option for the background images. This is more user-friendly than having them type a url... Which most members are not going to use.
  • Duplicate the Profile picture module and add the option to your "Customize" section (in the UCP).

This may appear unnecessary... But most users are going to look for the option to change their Profile Picture in the "Customize" section - since that is where they are going to change the other profile appearance options.
Angry_Sun

Post by Angry_Sun »

keith10456 wrote:Remove the Font Size option. Don't want to risk members having HUGE font sizes all over the place. Or text that's too small to read.
Agreed.
keith10456 wrote:Have the Font Type/Family options in a drop-down menu.
Ok, makes sense. :)
keith10456 wrote:Have the color picker open in a new window instead of being dependent on a 3rd party website.
I do like this idea, something like phpBB comes standard with when choosing a font color? :)
keith10456 wrote:Code the Font Color options so the member doesn't have to include "#"... Which most might forget when they enter the color code.
Well, what if they want to use "blue" "red" "purple" instead of a hex? We would tell them "don't forget to include the # symbol" or something.
keith10456 wrote:Have an upload option for the background images. This is more user-friendly than having them type a url... Which most members are not going to use.
I agree completely.
keith10456 wrote:Duplicate the Profile picture module and add the option to your "Customize" section (in the UCP).
Wait, to change the forum logo?
keith10456 wrote:This may appear unnecessary... But most users are going to look for the option to change their Profile Picture in the "Customize" section - since that is where they are going to change the other profile appearance options.[/list]
Oh, you mean their avatar. I think it can stay where it is, it won't be that big of a problem.

Would you be interesting in helping?
keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Angry_Sun wrote:
keith10456 wrote:Duplicate the Profile picture module and add the option to your "Customize" section (in the UCP).
keith10456 wrote:This may appear unnecessary... But most users are going to look for the option to change their Profile Picture in the "Customize" section - since that is where they are going to change the other profile appearance options.[/list]
Oh, you mean their avatar. I think it can stay where it is, it won't be that big of a problem.

Both statements (quoted above) was in reference to the same thing - their avatar.

Unfortunately, I can't code to save my life :( However, I would assist by testing, etc. :)
Angry_Sun

Post by Angry_Sun »

keith10456 wrote:
Angry_Sun wrote:

Both statements (quoted above) was in reference to the same thing - their avatar.

Unfortunately, I can't code to save my life :( However, I would assist by testing, etc. :)

Ok. Thanks for the suggestions though. :)

Would anyone be able to help me with a background image uploader?
Lastpost

Post by Lastpost »

Cool mod, I have done the same thing with the custom profile fields, the build-in function of phpBB but I will follow your mod to see if it gives the users even more options. :)
Angry_Sun

Post by Angry_Sun »

I'm looking for someone who would want to partner up on this mod with me. Just let me know.
Angry_Sun

Post by Angry_Sun »

Angry_Sun wrote:I'm looking for someone who would want to partner up on this mod with me. Just let me know.
A little bump.

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”