[RC] Complete "MODx CMS <-> phpBB" INTEGRATION

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Get Involved
dtleahy

Re: [BETA] Complete MODx CMS <-> phpBB integration

Post by dtleahy »

Excellent!

I'll be happy to be an alpha for the install, if that would help you in any way.

Dennis
N!Ce
Name: Just Meh

Post by N!Ce »

Thanks for the offer. Though I test new versions on my sites before I release them anyway. Hence I didn't need any alpha testers so far, I'll let you know in case that changes tho. 8-)
dtleahy

Post by dtleahy »

Hi N!Ce,

Well, I feel like the pesky kid in the back of the car yelling "Are we there yet?", but I have to ask whether you've had time to work on this or not.

If not, I do understand.

But, as you know, this is not really an add-on for a website, but a major piece of the foundation for a website. So, I need to know whether I should build a new site counting on an integration between phpbb and modx cms.

I decided that the worst that happens if I try your
Version: 0.9.4 that Supports: phpBB 3.0.9 ; MODx Evolution 1.0.5
and try it on (the current versions)
phpBB 3.0.11 ; MODx Evolution 1.0.6

..if it doesn't work, then I can move on to try a different CMS/portal solution. MODxBB looks awesome, and I hope it works, but need to get going on this new website.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks!

Dennis

p.s. One additional question: Should all other mods to phpbb be installed first, then your MODxBB bridge/integration? Or can I install other mods afterwards?
N!Ce

Post by N!Ce »

Hi dtleahy,

I can fully understand your situation and also certainly know that MODxBB is not just a plug-in. Hence, if I wasn't going to work on it, I wouldn't have recommended you to wait for the next version.

I started as planned last weekend and finally managed to fix the bug on the very top of our "most wanted" list. It was quite hard since it never occurred for me, which certainly means that I had no chance to reproduce it. I will post more about the bug and how I managed to fix it tonight.

I will resume working on the next version this weekend and hope to be done before the end of the next week.

The current MODxBB version will not fully work with the latest phpBB and MODx Evo versions. You will need to do some modifications. That is why I suggested to wait for the new version in first place.
dtleahy wrote: p.s. One additional question: Should all other mods to phpbb be installed first, then your MODxBB bridge/integration? Or can I install other mods afterwards?
That normally doesn't matter, because the phpBB installer recognizes custom changes. If you want to go the safest anyway, install the phpBB mods first.

N!Ce
N!Ce

Post by N!Ce »

This article explains more about above mention issue:
http://www.modxbb.net/the-successful-hu ... og-out-bug

Sorry for double post. Just making sure people realize there is an update. =X
dtleahy

Post by dtleahy »

Awesome work in bug extermination! A three-headed bug!

I very much appreciate your work on this mod/bridge/integration! I will hold off on trying the MODxBB mod (Hey, I think we need to petition phpbb to change the name "Modx" to something else - it is probably confusing that there is an entire CMS/application framework of the same name.)

If I have read your information correctly, if I want the same look and feel of the phpbb board (pages) on all of the non-forum pages (that will be created using the MODX CMS system), then I need to spend the time to tweak the style/theme for phpbb first. So, that is what I'm doing while I wait for your mod/bridge/integration to get updated.

I will obviously need to add at least one button or link from the forum to the main (home) page of the website. Not sure if I should hand-code that, or try a MOD like "Redbar."

Thanks again!

Dennis
N!Ce

Post by N!Ce »

I agree that the name MODX wasn't a good choice, as MODx CMS was already available when it got released. It can be indeed a bit of an issue when you search the web for MODx related topics. Particularly when they involve phpBB.

Yes, it's best to style the forum in order to retain a coherent look. During development of MODxBB I had a version running where styling was not necessary, however, that was performance wise utter nonsense. It would slow down the site significantly and it would get worse with each user browsing the forum. Hence I chose the way it is at the moment.

Whether to hardcode the home link or not depends on your site. You should use dynamic content only where it makes sense, because it certainly needs additional resources.
N!Ce

Post by N!Ce »

Just an update: Evo 1.0.7 was released last week. MODxBB 0.9.5 will be made for it instead of 1.0.6. Also because it includes an important security fix.

Unfortunately didn't manage to finish it this weekend, but working on it.
dtleahy

Post by dtleahy »

Thanks for the update.

Prior to this project, I had only lightly cosmetically messed with phpbb code (mostly in CSS), and now I'm getting a real lesson. I wish someone had taken the time to comment the code better...

Anyway, I have made big progress and am close to finishing my phpbb design and modifications: two different navigation button-bars with drop down menu systems: one for all pages within the forum; one for all pages outside the forum. (Combined, the menu options were too numerous and were out of context.)

This new site I am creating really is a site and a forum, basically just sharing membership/logins/session management. So, there are probably advanced features (beyond the unified login functionality) that you are working on or are already done in MODxBB that I will not be using. When you have the basic bridge working I will be ready, and could always add any "Extras" you create at a later time.

Thanks again for all your efforts!

Dennis
dtleahy

Post by dtleahy »

Hi N!Ce,

Any good news?

Dennis
N!Ce

Post by N!Ce »

Hi dtleahy,

I am tempted to say it will be released within the next 3 days, however, I have become very careful with promising release dates. In the world of computing unexpected things are always to be expected.

If everything works out as expected though, it should be available before the end of this week.
N!Ce

Post by N!Ce »

MODxBB 0.9.5 is ready, just needs to get packaged. Need also to update the documentation and add the news item with update instructions. It will include some additional info since this is a major update with more changes than the last ones.
To prevent mistakes I will do that tomorrow though, as I am very tired now.

Btw, http://modxbb.net already runs Evo 1.0.7 + phpBB 3.0.11 + MODxBB 0.9.5 - it can be tested there.
dtleahy

Post by dtleahy »

:~)

Excellent!

Thanks for all the hard work, and for finishing. So many people seem to work really hard...and then fail to finish whatever it was they were working on. It is something special to actually finish a project.

Dennis
N!Ce

Post by N!Ce »

MODxBB 0.9.5 was released last night. It is strongly recommended to update. This is a major release with numerous improvments and bugfixes. Additionally the supported new versions of phpBB and MODx had some security fixes.

Supported:
MODx Evolution 1.0.8
phpBB 3.0.11

Download and more infos on modxbb.net

Enjoy!
dtleahy

Re: [RC] Complete "MODx CMS <-> phpBB" INTEGRATION

Post by dtleahy »

(Of course,MODx CMS system will undergo bug fixes and alterations, but significantly, they now have a team going back and re-working MODx Evolution. I note a number of people posting in the MODx users forum that Revolution needs a "speed-up." Still. So, you were right, N!Ce, to stick with Evolution. Plus, I think the forum software they offer as an Extra is really weak compared to pbpbb.)

Hopefully, getting your phpbb3--->modxbb<---MODx working with their version 1.09 will not be too painful.

Announcement from MODx:
"Today we released MODX Evolution 1.0.9. This is the first release prepared by the new Evolution project team who are working to bring life back into Evo. As you're probably aware, releases in the last year have been almost exclusively for security patches.

This release, however, restarts our Little Engine That Could. Evo 1.0.9 is now compatible with PHP 5.4, has improved security and offers many fixes and enhancements across the board.

Due to a number of important security fixes and the new compatibility for PHP 5.4 we strongly encourage all MODX Evolution users to upgrade to 1.0.9.

Here are the highlights of the Evo 1.0.9 release:
  • PHP 5.4 compatibility
    Upgraded TinyMCE to 3.5.8
    Added new "If" snippet for simple conditionals, similar to the MODX Revolution add-on of the same name.
    Fixes to ManagerManager
    For more details read the complete changelog
A special note for MODXers hosted at 1&1 Hosting. According to reports, they will be completely switching all servers to PHP 5.4 as of April 1, 2013. In order for your MODX site to continue to operate, you should consider upgrading today."
Thanks!

Dennis

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”