[ABD] phpbb/connect logins and registration with Facebook

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
_Al

[ABD] phpbb/connect logins and registration with Facebook

Post by _Al »

Modification Name: phpbb3/Connect for phpBB with Facebook Account
Author: Skinny Vinny: http://www.phpbb.com/community/memberli ... &u=1159215

Info: I have hosted a copy of this mod's Zip and restarted this Mod thread in the hope someone will take it over. As it works great on my site and i know alot of you would like a copy.

Skinny Vinny:
New job, over worked, long commute.... no time
I haven't even been on these forums in.... awhile lol.
But, that's changing in a few weeks here. Work/support for my connect hook will resume shortly.

Modification Description: Enables users to login and register to phpBB powered boards and sites with their Facebook accounts.
Modification Version: 0.2
Phpbb3 Version: Tested on 3.0.8 3.0.9
Requirements: This mod will perform best on php version 5.2.x or greater, however compatibility with prior versions has been incorporated (curl functions resort to fgc if not available, and json decode enabled through a 3rd party class).

Demo URL: http://sweetas.com
Modification Download: http://sweetas.com/files/svmods_faceboo ... _phpbb.zip

'Respect' to those modders that have tackled this before, but to my knowledge there has not been a simple or stable facebook connect integration (due largely to the frequently changing facebook apis and terms) made available.

I'm completing a phpBB hook that will provide the basic functionality for Facebook graph/connect login and registration, and to serve as the foundation for additional Facebook features as extensions of it.

This hook currently requests more permissions than used in this basic version, but will be required later in additional features/uses via extensions.

The best part of this modification is that it is indeed a phpBB hook: there are absolutely no edits needed to the original phpBB source code! Installation is as simple as adding a few values to the template, uploading the hooks file(s), purging the cache, and entering your app id and app secret into the ACP board settings (fields added by the hook as well). Optionally, you can edit the text used in the hook by adding values to your lang files to override the defaults.

Update: hook is now packed with modx, automod ready.

This hook utilizes facebooks javascript api to eliminate the bulk of work/load from your sites server. In using the js api, we eliminate possible performance issues on our sites from fb unstability: no back end calls to remote servers in typical page requests. The clients browser does the bulk of our work via js.
Last edited by _Al on Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:18 am, edited 6 times in total.
_Al

Re: [RC] Graph/connect logins and registration with Facebook

Post by _Al »

Change the name of this MOD in accordance with Facebook's trademark rules

:roll:@FB "I un-like facebook :)"
heredia21

Post by heredia21 »

Thanks for sharing!
Best BlackBerry website for all users! BlackBerry News - http://blackberryempire.com
aluksidadi

Post by aluksidadi »

Woah thank you so much, im looking forward to run this mod
wcanetworks2

Post by wcanetworks2 »

This is almost the perfect mod for those who only need the facebook register and login features, which is what I needed. Not bloated with extra crap like others.

One of the 2 problems I'm having is members who have logged in with an account created through this facebook mod cannot log out of the forum. When they try to log out, the forum goes through all the motions of logging out... but they're actually still logged in to the forum. They have to delete all browser history and cookies in order to be logged out.

Also, when a member with an account created through this facebook mod is logged into their facebook account but not logged into the forum, every forum topic reloads for them endlessly until they log in to their facebook account or delete all browser history and cookies.

Fix these 2 problems and this will be the absolute perfect facebook-phpbb mod.
wcanetworks2

Post by wcanetworks2 »

The reloading stopped. First problem remains though.
_Al

Post by _Al »

First problem is the only kown miner bug.
_Al

Re: [RC] phpbb3/connect logins and registration with Faceboo

Post by _Al »

Tested: and working with phpbb3 3.0.9
Demo: http://www.sweetas.com/
Enjoy :]
ALIENQuake

Re: [RC] phpbb/connect logins and registration with Facebook

Post by ALIENQuake »

I would love to see "Password" field during FB Registration. Please consider this option as it is very userfull. You can also consider to update you mod acording to this post.
CloneWorks

Post by CloneWorks »

Im trying to get this to run on forums, but when i type in the address for the test.php, it says it was unable to connect. Installed via AutoMod as for some reason i cannot view XML docs and there is no text file based documentation.

any help?
_Al

Post by _Al »

Im trying to get this to run on forums, but when i type in the address for the test.php, it says it was unable to connect. Installed via AutoMod as for some reason i cannot view XML docs and there is no text file based documentation.

any help?
No text file based documentation
All documentation is included i the zip file, anyone else have these issuies?

Not tested on AutoMod, As i do all my edits manualy.
Works with phpbb3 3.0.9.
If test.php fails, do not intall this mod on your site.
CloneWorks

Post by CloneWorks »

only documentation here is an XML file that will not display. it would be helpful for a link to the Install XML
Prosk8er
Name: Tyler

Post by Prosk8er »

opens fine for me please search the forums for how to open up the install xml files
CloneWorks

Post by CloneWorks »

If i hadn't tried that I would not be here asking for, at the very least, a link to the xml so my browser will read it without crashing, or not displaying the information.

I really do not want to seem like an a$$ but if you cant provide any assistance, then don't respond to a query seeking assistance.
Prosk8er
Name: Tyler

Post by Prosk8er »

CloneWorks wrote:If i hadn't tried that I would not be here asking for, at the very least, a link to the xml so my browser will read it without crashing, or not displaying the information.

I really do not want to seem like an a$$ but if you cant provide any assistance, then don't respond to a query seeking assistance.
must have not searched good enough a quick 1 second search brought me to http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 9&t=724145

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”