[BETA] phpBB3-Knowledgebase

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Ideas Centre
eric90066

Re: [BETA] phpBB3-Knowledgebase

Post by eric90066 »

The post install appears to be optional. I have it running on my board now. Not the easiest mod to work with as I struggle with the permissions. From what I read no one else is having this issue so it must just be me.
Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

I've never seen one that was optional...I've seen some that didn't have one but if they had one they were needed.

YMMV...
eric90066

Post by eric90066 »

Master_Cylinder wrote:I've never seen one that was optional...I've seen some that didn't have one but if they had one they were needed.

YMMV...
Yeah, unfortunately given the issues I am seeing and the chance this MOD will be abandoned, I choose to uninstall. Hopefully someone picks it up.
Master_Cylinder

eric90066 wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:I've never seen one that was optional...I've seen some that didn't have one but if they had one they were needed.

YMMV...
Yeah, unfortunately given the issues I am seeing and the chance this MOD will be abandoned, I choose to uninstall. Hopefully someone picks it up.
I fully understand the reluctance and doubt. Most MODs wouldn't matter if they were abandoned/broken and uninstalled later but why add a bunch of content for a KB MOD only to have it useless in X months...

Maybe somebody will fork it and keep it current... *shrug*
panhead

Post by panhead »

It is indeed a pity this great mod seems to end like the previous KB mod, which I just de-installed. I wish I had the capabilities... :cry:
Master_Cylinder

panhead wrote:It is indeed a pity this great mod seems to end like the previous KB mod, which I just de-installed. I wish I had the capabilities... :cry:
It's also sad that the author "pertneer" has been on phpBB recently but he hasn't replied, here, to let us know if he's done with it or if there will be new versions or a 3.1 Extension even.
pertneer

Post by pertneer »

I'm sorry I have not had time to reply to posts here in recent weeks. I have taken a new position that has taken all my free time from me and have not been able to take the extra time it takes to reply as needed. I am hoping as more time passes I will regain free time but the added driving time takes most of my day. If I feel in the next month or so does not look like I am making any progress of this I will let all of you know. As you are well aware we volunteer to do these mods and our lives sometimes get in the way.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright
Master_Cylinder

pertneer wrote:I'm sorry I have not had time to reply to posts here in recent weeks. I have taken a new position that has taken all my free time from me and have not been able to take the extra time it takes to reply as needed. I am hoping as more time passes I will regain free time but the added driving time takes most of my day. If I feel in the next month or so does not look like I am making any progress of this I will let all of you know. As you are well aware we volunteer to do these mods and our lives sometimes get in the way.
I know that "life happens" and I'm sure that we all appreciate that you do this for free. All I wanted was to know if it's abandoned or still being developed (updates I can wait for) since this type of MOD is fairly unique in that we need to spend a lot of time to add content to a KB and if the MOD dies, so does all the work we do adding that content. If most other mods die we can just uninstall and we only lose the functionality. If I could program I'd certainly be willing to help out but I can't. All I can do is test, provide feedback and limited installation support. ;)

Thank you for at least letting us know that it MIGHT be still alive. :D
eric90066

Post by eric90066 »

Master_Cylinder wrote: I know that "life happens" and I'm sure that we all appreciate that you do this for free. All I wanted was to know if it's abandoned or still being developed (updates I can wait for) since this type of MOD is fairly unique in that we need to spend a lot of time to add content to a KB and if the MOD dies, so does all the work we do adding that content. If most other mods die we can just uninstall and we only lose the functionality. If I could program I'd certainly be willing to help out but I can't. All I can do is test, provide feedback and limited installation support. ;)

Thank you for at least letting us know that it MIGHT be still alive. :D
Yeah. What he said. Thanks for letting us know it may still survive.
pertneer

Post by pertneer »

I am starting to see a little more free time and I will be able to put more time into it. What I need to do is look into making it compatible for 3.1, since it is in beta. Not much sense spending alot more time with 3.0.x with 3.1 so close on the horizon. I will try to keep everyone up to date.
Steven Wright
panhead

Post by panhead »

Great!
Master_Cylinder

Awesome! That's all I was after; just knowing that this will continue makes it worth installing since we now know that there should be newer versions eventually. :D

Thanks...
eric90066

Post by eric90066 »

Excellent. Thanks Pertneer. :D
pertneer

Post by pertneer »

As most of you have seen PhpBB Version 3.1.0 is in RC1. I don't feel continuing with this will be worth my time since the design of mods has changed. I am not comfortable with the new system as i have not so much as even tested it locally due to lack of time. Once i feel comfortable with the new way to create "Extensions" I may convert this to an Extension. Time will tell.

Sorry for the bad news.

Edit: Someone else has already started on a Knowledge Extension. Please check this out for your needs.
Steven Wright
Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica »

pertneer wrote:As most of you have seen PhpBB Version 3.1.0 is in RC1. I don't feel continuing with this will be worth my time since the design of mods has changed. I am not comfortable with the new system as i have not so much as even tested it locally due to lack of time. Once i feel comfortable with the new way to create "Extensions" I may convert this to an Extension. Time will tell.

Sorry for the bad news.

Edit: Someone else has already started on a Knowledge Extension. Please check this out for your needs.
That's fine with me - are you still going to work on this mod for 3.0.x? I'm still interested in it, since I have no plans to upgrade my main board to 3.1 (and I also still have interest in 3.0 mods)
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”