[ALPHA] Multilingual Forums

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Ideas Centre
dellsystem
Former Team Member
Name: Wendy

[ALPHA] Multilingual Forums

Post by dellsystem » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:25 am

Modification Name: Multilingual Forums
Author: dellsystem

Modification Description: Enables multi-language support for forum names. Created as a result of this MOD request.
Modification Version: 0.1.0

Requirements: Multiple language packs installed on your forum.

Screenshots:
acp.png
acp.png (56.62 KiB) Viewed 2880 times
category.png
category.png (38.92 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
forum.png
forum.png (18.82 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
french.png
french.png (47.12 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
index.png
index.png (16.62 KiB) Viewed 2565 times
language.png
language.png (18.8 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
english.png
english.png (42.6 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
Demo URL: http://phpbb.dellsystem.me/multiling/
Log in using the username ash and the password ketchum to view the board in French.

Download ZIP file (compatible with AutoMOD)
Note that this MOD is still in ALPHA status. Please do not use it on a live board.

Development on GitHub: https://github.com/dellsystem/phpBB-multilingual-forums

Changelog

• 03/19/2014 - Bumped version number to 0.1.0 (added support for forum descriptions)
  • 03/09/2014 - Bumped version number to 0.0.3 (non-critical bug fix)
  • 03/09/2014 - Bumped version number to 0.0.2 (critical bug fix)
  • 03/09/2014 - Initial post with download link for version 0.0.1
[/size]
Former moderator and website team member | My MODs, and more (GitHub)

Najd D

Re: [ALPHA] Multilingual Forums

Post by Najd D » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:07 am

Sorry didnt work , completely stopped the forums from working , first started by error in functions in line 5079 then when i fixed it started giving me more errors

:(

dellsystem
Former Team Member

Post by dellsystem » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:58 am

Sorry about that, should work now. I've updated the download link in the first post.

Najd D

Post by Najd D » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:26 am

still not working im getting this error after install when i try to go to the forums tab in main acp

Code: Select all

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4967: array_search() expects parameter 2 to be array, boolean given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4961: explode(): Empty delimiter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4962: explode(): Empty delimiter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4967: array_search() expects parameter 2 to be array, boolean given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4961: explode(): Empty delimiter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4962: explode(): Empty delimiter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/adm/index.php on line 150: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/adm/index.php on line 152: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/adm/index.php on line 153: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/adm/index.php on line 154: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)

and this is the error in the main forum pages

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4761: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)

dellsystem
Former Team Member

Post by dellsystem » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:54 pm

It looks like you didn't run the MOD installation script to update the database. If you installed through AutoMOD, it should have presented you with a link to that script right after installing. Run that (go to multiling_mod_install.php in the root of your board, and follow the instructions). If you're still having issues after that, can you take a screenshot of the Multilingual Forums MOD configuration page in the ACP, under the .MODS tab?

Najd D

Post by Najd D » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:51 pm

Yes you were right !! its working like a charm !! thank you so much for this awesome mod :D

i have just 1 note about it , its doing everything right except that the description of the forum is not changing .. and this is the only thing that left :( hope you can fix that

i think this mod will be a must have for all the multilingual sites !!

i highly recommend it :D 2 thumbs up

Best regards

dellsystem
Former Team Member

Post by dellsystem » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:43 pm

I've added support for forum descriptions. Updated to v0.1.0 (see original post for the download link).

Najd D, if you want to update from v0.0.3, just uninstall the old version (using AutoMOD) then upload v0.1.0 and install that, then run the update script (multiling_mod_install.php). Let me know if you have any issues with that.

Najd D

Post by Najd D » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:26 am

Ty , it works like a charm !!

Very useful mod for Multi language forums !! 2 thumbs up !!

Thanks again

Vogelek23
Name: Łukasz

Post by Vogelek23 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:38 pm

This idea was used about 6 years ago here: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=577784#p4883005

BUT :!: It doesn't work with any MOD alike "quick change language" (ex. "MSSTI Quick Language", "Quick Language Change" or "Quickly Change Your Language", based on adding "lang=xx" to URL).
When all other stuff is translated after quick-switching the language, forum name (and forum description too) stays in the default language. Please look onto my forum (link in the signature) - there you will find this effect.

IMHO, the better idea is to code this variables (forum name, forum description but also newly created usergroup names and usergroup descriptions etc.) into the language files, instead of keeping them in the database. For example, if we make a forum called "{L_DOWNLOAD_SECTION}", the forum script should automatically get its match from the proper language file.

I don't want, under any circumstances, to "shoot" your MOD, dear Wendy - because as i see you made a lot and lot of work (some time ago, finding all instances of "forum_name" variable in phpBB code was really very hard for me and took a lot of my time). But i also see you have a large potential to realize my humble idea.
Professional computer repairs forum. Biggest documentation database in Europe.
Advanced help in laptop repairs. Completely free advices.

http://www.elvikom.pl

dellsystem
Former Team Member

Post by dellsystem » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:47 pm

Hi Vogelek23,

Thanks for your feedback! You're right, it would be nicer if this MOD made better use of the language pack system present in phpBB. However, what you suggest would require the end user to edit the language files every time they want to make a change to a forum name or description, which is much less convenient than changing a setting in the ACP for the majority of users. For that reason I don't intend to go that route. Keep in mind that this MOD is a stopgap (written to fulfil a MOD request), rather than an ultimate solution - it's very difficult to make a MOD that truly supports multilingual forums in an elegant way without having to substantially change parts of the phpBB codebase, which I'd rather avoid. On the other hand, if you're interested in writing the MOD that you suggest yourself, I'd say go for it :)

Meis2M
Translator
Name: میثم نوبری

Post by Meis2M » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:19 pm

have u any plan for release as Extension for phpBB 3.1?

Vogelek23
Name: Łukasz

Post by Vogelek23 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:04 pm

dellsystem wrote:However, what you suggest would require the end user to edit the language files every time they want to make a change to a forum name or description
It is NOT a problem for me. I will add 1-2 forums per quarter :)
dellsystem wrote:which is much less convenient than changing a setting in the ACP for the majority of users.
So what do You think about such idea, where admin can select if he want to keep the forum names in the database or, in the language files?
dellsystem wrote:For that reason I don't intend to go that route.
:(
dellsystem wrote:Keep in mind that this MOD is a stopgap (written to fulfil a MOD request), rather than an ultimate solution - it's very difficult to make a MOD that truly supports multilingual forums in an elegant way without having to substantially change parts of the phpBB codebase, which I'd rather avoid.
Yes, You're absolutely right. It's very difficult task.
dellsystem wrote:On the other hand, if you're interested in writing the MOD that you suggest yourself, I'd say go for it :)
I'm afraid i'm not a professional in php coding contrary to You, dear Wendy... :(
But maybe You have any solution for the problem with "quick-change-language" incompatibility?
Professional computer repairs forum. Biggest documentation database in Europe.
Advanced help in laptop repairs. Completely free advices.

http://www.elvikom.pl

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”