[MODDB] Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs 1.0.0

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
GroovePlugs

Re: [BETA] Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs 1.0.0 Beta 8

Post by GroovePlugs »

p0Wer wrote:Ok I fixed my site and now I wanna install this mod again.

But will if just ive me the same;

Not Found
The requested URL /forums/f102-sony-playstation-portable-forums was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.33 Server at game-warp.com Port 80

?

I KNOW that .htaccess files work on my site as I have a .htaccess file in the root of my website redirecting it from www. to no www.

Thanks?
your site works with .htaccess, but it doesn't sound like it works with mod_rewrite.
You didn't run the test stated in the installation instructions before finishing the install of the mod.
That test is there so you don't end up with a broken board.
GroovePlugs is now known as Handyman`
abcEzy

Post by abcEzy »

p0Wer, you are better off waiting until the RC1 release of the Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URL's is released. The current version doesn't work for RC5 release of PHPbb3 as of yet.

And if you keep getting this error, revert back to the version of PHPbb3 that does work with this current version to solve your problems, otherwise, just be a little more patient. :)
abcEzy

Post by abcEzy »

Ok, Thanks Handyman.

p.s

Quick question, although these URL's are SEO friendly. I was wondering if you know of any templates that are SEO Friendly, like, having a PHPBB3 template where the content is read first. Cos like, When I run a search in google for my forum via the site:www.domain.com to see how many pages are indexed, all I see are the descriptions of the main forum, I've got a lot of content on my forum and I'm not getting much traffic from search engines at all. I do a LOT of SEO myself and know how to create SEO based sites to rank in the top 10 out of millions of results no problem. Before PHPBB3, I got a ton load of traffic, now it's died due to the upgrade. :(

Thanks.

E
Handyman` wrote:
abcEzy wrote:Hi

I was just wondering if this works for RC5 now? I posted about 4 weeks ago and was told there could be an update towards the end of August for Beta 9, or something like that.

Thanks. :)

E
yeah, I had a move, so the end of august was a little premature.
I'm working on RC1 and it should be ready Sunday night.
Mike_PL

Post by Mike_PL »

When been this mod for phpBB RC5? I need this mod :)
p0Wer

Post by p0Wer »

abcEzy wrote:p0Wer, you are better off waiting until the RC1 release of the Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URL's is released. The current version doesn't work for RC5 release of PHPbb3 as of yet.

And if you keep getting this error, revert back to the version of PHPbb3 that does work with this current version to solve your problems, otherwise, just be a little more patient. :)
I have RC2
andrewloh

Post by andrewloh »

i can't wait any further.. keep refreshing this topic every hr.. :lol:
p0Wer

Post by p0Wer »

Handyman` wrote:
p0Wer wrote:Ok I fixed my site and now I wanna install this mod again.

But will if just ive me the same;

Not Found
The requested URL /forums/f102-sony-playstation-portable-forums was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.33 Server at game-warp.com Port 80

?

I KNOW that .htaccess files work on my site as I have a .htaccess file in the root of my website redirecting it from www. to no www.

Thanks?
your site works with .htaccess, but it doesn't sound like it works with mod_rewrite.
You didn't run the test stated in the installation instructions before finishing the install of the mod.
That test is there so you don't end up with a broken board.
How can I make it so it works with mod_rewrite ?
andrewloh

Post by andrewloh »

just enable the mod_rewrite line in apache config ini that's ok.

if you are using hosting service and unable to edit apache config directly, then you need to contact your hosting service company to enable it.

and then move your rewrite rule in apache config ini to .htaccess, shoud work.
IHMUN

Post by IHMUN »

Been waiting on the RC1 release. Still coming today right?
GroovePlugs

Post by GroovePlugs »

IHMUN wrote:Been waiting on the RC1 release. Still coming today right?
well, it's nearly finished, but I'm running out of time to do the instructions.
So, it looks like I'm a day late.

I did have a predicament that I was going to ask for feedback on, but I just found something cool in Google, so I think you'll be pleasantly surprised :)

I also did a test… posted in Chinese (without this mod) and found that the UTF8 converter uses up a lot of memory… I had to kick up the memory_limit to 16MB to actually make the post.
Kind of interesting.
IHMUN

Post by IHMUN »

Well, I think Im just gonna go ahead and install a different SEO mod. Thanks for the mod_rewrite test thing. :)
GroovePlugs

Post by GroovePlugs »

IHMUN wrote:Well, I think Im just gonna go ahead and install a different SEO mod. Thanks for the mod_rewrite test thing. :)
no probs… do what you gotta do :)

For everyone else, I just finished this, so I'm gonna be drawing up instructions after work tomorrow.
p0Wer

Post by p0Wer »

andrewloh wrote:just enable the mod_rewrite line in apache config ini that's ok.

if you are using hosting service and unable to edit apache config directly, then you need to contact your hosting service company to enable it.

Umm, I emailed my hosting (SHARED) about how to enable mod_rewrite and here was the reply I got :)
If you wish to perform Mod_Rewrite properties on your site you will want to create an .htaccess file in your hosting for this if you are unable to use them. Unfortunately we are unable to assist you with making these changes. I hope this information helps. Please let us know if we can assist you in any other way.
I don't quite understand as I know that .htaccess works as I have a www. --> no www. redirection.

What do i have to do now?
GroovePlugs

Post by GroovePlugs »

p0Wer wrote:
andrewloh wrote:just enable the mod_rewrite line in apache config ini that's ok.

Umm, I emailed my hosting (SHARED) about how to enable mod_rewrite and here was the reply I got :)
If you wish to perform Mod_Rewrite properties on your site you will want to create an .htaccess file in your hosting for this if you are unable to use them. Unfortunately we are unable to assist you with making these changes. I hope this information helps. Please let us know if we can assist you in any other way.
I don't quite understand as I know that .htaccess works as I have a www. --> no www. redirection.

What do i have to do now?
redirects are different from mod_rewrite.

I don't know how to enable mod_rewrite from an htaccess file… so you're probably out of luck with your current host.
GroovePlugs

Post by GroovePlugs »

well, I finished the instructions, but I realized I overlooked 1 single item that would have caused a little havoc… so tomorrow I'll release this.

I'm also releasing 2 versions.
#1 simple SEO (for somebody that just wants basic SEO) (will be released tomorrow (Wednesday) )
#2 complete SEO (for somebody that wants to completely SEO their board) (this one may take about 30 minutes to install) (will be released on Thursday)

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”