[MODDB] Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs 1.0.0

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Ideas Centre
ameeck
Former Team Member

Re: [RC1] Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs 1.0.0

Post by ameeck »

That is a point, though I don't want to see someone telling me a URL in arabic or chinese, I have a hard time writing some special latin characters and this…huh…maybe it's time to return to number IDs :)

But seriously, both has its pros and cons, I just think a user who is installing it should be aware of them.
Handyman`
Former Team Member

Post by Handyman` »

ameeck wrote:That is a point, though I don't want to see someone telling me a URL in arabic or chinese, I have a hard time writing some special latin characters and this…huh…maybe it's time to return to number IDs :)

But seriously, both has its pros and cons, I just think a user who is installing it should be aware of them.
if you go to number ID's, it kinda defeats the purpose since Google now realizes each page as it's own through a variable.
The idea is to have the name of the page listed in search engines, it's a really good keyword… but it can't just be for the latin based languages.

There is already an SEO MOD for phpBB3 that just removes all the non ASCII characters… I didn't like it at all.
http://startrekguide.com My Mod Queue || 1/16/10 Display Posts Anywhere 1.2.0 RC5, Cash MOD 1.0.0 b1, MOD Version Check, AJAX Chat, SEO MOD, AJAX QR, Photo Gallery
MOD Development Manager (version 0.2.0-dev with MODX Generator)
romans1423
Name: Rick Beckman

Post by romans1423 »

Would it be possible -- even if it's a bit in the future -- to have this MOD make use of a "topic slug"?

What I mean is, when a new topic is made, not only is the title of the topic saved (i.e., What I Did for New Year's, 2008), so is a URL slug (i.e., what-i-did-for-new-years-2008).

When the topic title is edited, it will not break URLs as the post slug will not change, although it will reflect the older title.

Perhaps a permissions system could be setup so that moderators are able to edit the topic slug if need be.

This is like the system used by WordPress for its permalinks, and it seems to work well.
ameeck
Former Team Member

Post by ameeck »

I know what it's about :) , I was just joking about those IDs.
braianz

Post by braianz »

When launchess the newwww release?? :D
Handyman`
Former Team Member

Post by Handyman` »

romans1423 wrote:Would it be possible -- even if it's a bit in the future -- to have this MOD make use of a "topic slug"?

What I mean is, when a new topic is made, not only is the title of the topic saved (i.e., What I Did for New Year's, 2008), so is a URL slug (i.e., what-i-did-for-new-years-2008).

When the topic title is edited, it will not break URLs as the post slug will not change, although it will reflect the older title.

Perhaps a permissions system could be setup so that moderators are able to edit the topic slug if need be.

This is like the system used by WordPress for its permalinks, and it seems to work well.
interesting suggestion.
I'm still taking considerations.
braianz wrote:When launchess the newwww release?? :D
See my MOD queue :)
http://startrekguide.com My Mod Queue || 1/16/10 Display Posts Anywhere 1.2.0 RC5, Cash MOD 1.0.0 b1, MOD Version Check, AJAX Chat, SEO MOD, AJAX QR, Photo Gallery
braianz

Post by braianz »

Handyman` wrote:
romans1423 wrote:Would it be possible -- even if it's a bit in the future -- to have this MOD make use of a "topic slug"?

interesting suggestion.
But says "SEO URLs 1.0.0 RC4 (hopefully final) (attempted release in January)" and seo urls 1.0.0 RC4 is launched already :S
Handyman`
Former Team Member

Post by Handyman` »

braianz wrote:
Handyman` wrote:

interesting suggestion.
But says "SEO URLs 1.0.0 RC4 (hopefully final) (attempted release in January)" and seo urls 1.0.0 RC4 is launched already :S
Heh, I can't keep up with all my versions :P
It's fixed now. (RC5)
zanzoon

Post by zanzoon »

Thanks for the great work but just one question,
my site is Arabic, what do I do, do I continue with the URLs which contain Arabic characters? or what do you suggest?
thanks!
Handyman`
Former Team Member

Post by Handyman` »

zanzoon wrote:Thanks for the great work but just one question,
my site is Arabic, what do I do, do I continue with the URLs which contain Arabic characters? or what do you suggest?
thanks!
I don't understand the question… please explain.
zanzoon

Post by zanzoon »

I mean the urls I get are something like this:
http://www.mysite.com/somethinginarabic ... ingt1.html (or something similar)
will google accept that?
would all users be able to access links?
is this ok?
thanks a lot handyman
Obi_Wan

Post by Obi_Wan »

Could it be that there is currently a bug? When I klick on the view unanswered posts link next to a post title my browser tells me "page not found". The format of the url is this: /das-kuckucksei-t985.html&view=unread#unread
Handyman`
Former Team Member

Post by Handyman` »

zanzoon wrote:I mean the urls I get are something like this:
http://www.mysite.com/somethinginarabic ... ingt1.html (or something similar)
will google accept that?
would all users be able to access links?
is this ok?
thanks a lot handyman
Yes, Google will accept it.
Obi_Wan wrote:Could it be that there is currently a bug? When I klick on the view unanswered posts link next to a post title my browser tells me "page not found". The format of the url is this: /das-kuckucksei-t985.html&view=unread#unread
Being that this is in the MODs in Development forum, like every other MOD in here, it will have bugs.
Obi_Wan

Post by Obi_Wan »

Yes I know that it is under development ^^. I think I'll wait some time. Maybe the bug is fixed in the next RC.
netsavy006

Post by netsavy006 »

I got a report from one of my forum users here:

http://aspiemania.us/forum/viewtopic.ph ... p=314#p314

Code: Select all

Not Found

The requested URL /the-counting-thread-t16s10.php was not found on this server.

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”