[MODDB] View or Mark Unread Posts for PHPBB3

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Anti-Spam Guide
asinshesq
Name: Alan

Re: [BETA] View or Mark Unread Posts for PHPBB3

Post by asinshesq » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:20 pm

Thanks. By the way, this appears to work fine on RC4.

playerfr

Post by playerfr » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:44 am

Nice Mod will definately install it :D

All kind of help for your Forums / Sites. Installing for you the forum, the Mods, creating Custom Mods : for small fee http://www.phpbbhelpers.com

Kleopatras_Sister

Post by Kleopatras_Sister » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:38 pm

hello all,

does anybody have an install or can help me to include it in acid style ? because it doent will work like it tols on this install for stand styles :(

need your help

kind regards

saaiberke

Post by saaiberke » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:45 pm

I have it installed in acidtech style, what exactly is your problem?

Grtz,

Nic

Kleopatras_Sister

Post by Kleopatras_Sister » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:48 pm

saaiberke wrote:I have it installed in acidtech style, what exactly is your problem?

Grtz,

Nic

that would be great :)

i need the template files or an install, so that i know which line/ codes have to ad in which place

can you send me your file and i try to look andif i need help i write you an message back ? is that possible Please:)

i send you my email in a pm

saaiberke

Post by saaiberke » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:39 am

Kleopatras_Sister wrote:
saaiberke wrote:I have it installed in acidtech style, what exactly is your problem?

Grtz,

Nic

that would be great :)

i need the template files or an install, so that i know which line/ codes have to ad in which place

can you send me your file and i try to look andif i need help i write you an message back ? is that possible Please:)

i send you my email in a pm
Ok, I sent you the two edited files for acidtech.

Good luck,

Nic

statm
Name: Matt

Post by statm » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:00 pm

If I wanted to add back the simple "View posts since last vist" link from phpBB2 would I use this mod?

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:11 pm

statm wrote:If I wanted to add back the simple "View posts since last vist" link from phpBB2 would I use this mod?
No, this mod allows you to view any posts you haven't read. So if someone posts a new post and you go to the forum but don't look at the page for that post, and you leave the forum and come back over and over again, that post will remain 'unread' until you actually go to the page where the post was made. The list is of any post you haven't read rather than any new post.

I have no interest in doing this, but It wouldn't be hard for someone to re-implement the phpbb2 view new posts function. However, that has nothing to do with this mod (and is a surprising request since most people find that function confusing and of limited utility).

[edit: doesn't phpbb3 already have a view new posts link??]

statm
Name: Matt

Post by statm » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:28 pm

Well, the View new posts in phpbb3 does a slightly different job then what View posts since last visit did in phpbb2.. And I think phpbb2 had a view new posts option in addition to View posts since last visit.

The main reason I ask is because my users started complaining when I upgraded to phpbb3 that they didnt have that feature. That the new phpbb3 View new posts doesnt do what they want.

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:37 pm

statm wrote:Well, the View new posts in phpbb3 does a slightly different job then what View posts since last visit did in phpbb2.. And I think phpbb2 had a view new posts option in addition to View posts since last visit...
Don't think so. I just opened up a test phpbb2 board (unmodded) and took a look. The only 'view' links there are:

- View posts since last visit
- View your posts
- View unanswered posts

The link called "View posts since last visit" brings you to http://[forum_address]/search.php?search_id=newposts

If you then look at what search.php does when you go there with an argument of search_id=newposts, you'll see that it lists all posts since the time that is in the user's user_lastvisit entry, which tells you when the user last logged in.

Now look at phpbb3, which has the same 'View new posts' link that also takes you to http://[forum_address]/search.php?search_id=newposts.

And here again, if you look at search.php, you'll see that that gives you the posts made since the time that is in the user's user_last_visit entry (which I think is the same as phpbb2's user_last_visit entry and ties to the last login, but I've never actually checked that).

Note that many people have modded phpbb2 to show the user_last_session time rather than user_lastvisit time. User_last_session_time is the last time that the user actuaally did something online. Again, I haven't checked that in phpbb3 but I assume there's a similar database entry somewhere in phpbb3 that you could use instead of user_last_visit.

cotp

Post by cotp » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:25 pm

I already have keep unread flags mod for PhpBB2, what would be the procedure to migrate the information in the database to your MOD...

Any idea ?

Cotp

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:52 pm

cotp wrote:I already have keep unread flags mod for PhpBB2, what would be the procedure to migrate the information in the database to your MOD...
Sorry, I don't plan to write a migration script.

When I move my boards over, I plan to just start keep unread flags from scratch at that point. Since I don't need to migrate myself, I don't want to spend the time and energy required to write a migration script or query.

If it's really important to you, it is possible to do but you would need to know your way around php and mysql (or have a friend who's willing to help).

Sorry again.

cotp

Post by cotp » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:31 pm

asinshesq wrote:
cotp wrote:I already have keep unread flags mod for PhpBB2, what would be the procedure to migrate the information in the database to your MOD...
Sorry, I don't plan to write a migration script.

When I move my boards over, I plan to just start keep unread flags from scratch at that point. Since I don't need to migrate myself, I don't want to spend the time and energy required to write a migration script or query.

If it's really important to you, it is possible to do but you would need to know your way around php and mysql (or have a friend who's willing to help).

Sorry again.
Thanks for your anwser, I guess I will go like you then. Anyway the important thing is to keep the function...

Thanks very much for your mod :)

Cotp

ChriZathens
Name: Chris

Post by ChriZathens » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:12 pm

Hi, there...
Very nice mod,indeed. It is actually the first one I installed on my test board and definitely will be there when I migrate to phpbb3!!!
One request, though ...
Could you, in a later release, make it so that the subforum which contains new posts changes colour?
To be honest, I don't know if your mod should do this...
What I mean: In my live phpbb2 forum I installed ages ago the "Keep unread flags mod"
Again, ages ago I installed "simple subforums"

When I have unread posts inside a subforum, the subforums title changes color. So the user sees that there are new posts in a forum but does not have to enter and see which subforum has the new posts, since the one which has new posts has it's name with a different colour.So they click straight on the subforum's title.

Is this supposed to be treated by a keep unread mod, or simply, since phpbb3 version supports subforums it should be available initially

Sorry if my post is confusing you, I hope you'll understand what I mean and hopefully give me an answer :oops:
My mods in MODDB:
Add Homepage link in header - Change user activity post limit - Post number in viewtopic
If you need support click on the support tab there and post your question.
Do not PM me - chances of viewing my PMs are way thinner than viewing the support question in the customization DB...

ch1ngon

Post by ch1ngon » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:08 am

is this mod compatible with other styles then the default ones?

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”