[MODDB] View or Mark Unread Posts for PHPBB3

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
ChriZathens
Name: Chris

Re: [BETA] View or Mark Unread Posts for PHPBB3

Post by ChriZathens »

ch1ngon wrote:is this mod compatible with other styles then the default ones?
I've tested it with 6 different templates without any problems...
My mods in MODDB:
Add Homepage link in header - Change user activity post limit - Post number in viewtopic
If you need support click on the support tab there and post your question.
Do not PM me - chances of viewing my PMs are way thinner than viewing the support question in the customization DB...
joebart72

Post by joebart72 »

Yes it works but not very beautful for some templates like Oasis oe Odyssey. Icons would be better than a text...
I learn English with phpbb.com :)
asinshesq
Name: Alan

Post by asinshesq »

ChriZathens wrote:Could you, in a later release, make it so that the subforum which contains new posts changes colour?
To be honest, I don't know if your mod should do this...
What I mean: In my live phpbb2 forum I installed ages ago the "Keep unread flags mod"
Again, ages ago I installed "simple subforums"

When I have unread posts inside a subforum, the subforums title changes color. So the user sees that there are new posts in a forum but does not have to enter and see which subforum has the new posts, since the one which has new posts has it's name with a different colour.So they click straight on the subforum's title.

Is this supposed to be treated by a keep unread mod, or simply, since phpbb3 version supports subforums it should be available initially
phpbb3 already has a working keep unread function (unlike phpbb2), so this mod is quite narrow: it allows you to click a button to list the unread topics and it allows you to click a link in any post to mark that post unread.

What you are requesting is a change in the way phpbb3 displays the forum and subforum list to indicate where there are unread posts. That is a perfectly reasonable request - I'm surprised that phpbb3 doesn't already do this - but it has nothing to do with this mod. It's really an entirely separate mod, so you'll need to either write it yourself, ask if someone else will write it for you or perhaps search for it because maybe someone already has written something like it.

Sorry I took so long to answer this post.
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

ch1ngon wrote:is this mod compatible with other styles then the default ones?
I've only written the template changes for prosilver and subsilver. The mod specifies particular lines to look for in the prosilver and subsilver templates. If the other template you are using has the same lines as the ones this mod looks for in prosilver or subsilver (it may or may not), you'll be all set. If not, you'll need to tinker with the template changes to adapt those changes to the template you are actually using. That shouldn't be too difficult, though, if you know a little bit about html.
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

joebart72 wrote:Yes it works but not very beautful for some templates like Oasis oe Odyssey. Icons would be better than a text...
I've only written it for prosilver and subsilver; it's not surprising that on some other templates the changes that look fine on prosilver or subsilver don't look so great. Anyone using it on other templates will probably want to experiment to make it look the way they want it to look on those other templates.
ChriZathens

Post by ChriZathens »

asinshesq wrote:
ChriZathens wrote:Could you, in a later release, make it so that the subforum which contains new posts changes colour?
To be honest, I don't know if your mod should do this...
What I mean: In my live phpbb2 forum I installed ages ago the "Keep unread flags mod"
Again, ages ago I installed "simple subforums"

When I have unread posts inside a subforum, the subforums title changes color. So the user sees that there are new posts in a forum but does not have to enter and see which subforum has the new posts, since the one which has new posts has it's name with a different colour.So they click straight on the subforum's title.

Is this supposed to be treated by a keep unread mod, or simply, since phpbb3 version supports subforums it should be available initially
phpbb3 already has a working keep unread function (unlike phpbb2), so this mod is quite narrow: it allows you to click a button to list the unread topics and it allows you to click a link in any post to mark that post unread.

What you are requesting is a change in the way phpbb3 displays the forum and subforum list to indicate where there are unread posts. That is a perfectly reasonable request - I'm surprised that phpbb3 doesn't already do this - but it has nothing to do with this mod. It's really an entirely separate mod, so you'll need to either write it yourself, ask if someone else will write it for you or perhaps search for it because maybe someone already has written something like it.

Sorry I took so long to answer this post.
While writing my previous post I made myself pretty sure that what I wanted, had nothing to do with keep unread. But I was not 100% sure, so I thought I should ask.
Anyway, thanks a lot for making this clear for me.
And, despite the fact that phpbb3 does keep the unread posts, your mod is really very usefull, especially for large boards with many posts per day.. ;)
My mods in MODDB:
Add Homepage link in header - Change user activity post limit - Post number in viewtopic
Do not PM me - chances of viewing my PMs are way thinner than viewing the support question in the customization DB...
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

ChriZathens wrote:...While writing my previous post I made myself pretty sure that what I wanted, had nothing to do with keep unread. But I was not 100% sure, so I thought I should ask...
Yes, you did make that clear. I wasn't complaining about what you had asked, I was agreeing with you. Glad this mod turned out useful.

As for the problem you initially asked about, if phpbb3 does what you say it does, that sounds like a bug to me. I've never used subforums so I didn't notice this. If I have some time at some point I may look into that and, maybe, write something to fix it if it's messed up like that. .
ChriZathens

Post by ChriZathens »

asinshesq wrote:
ChriZathens wrote:...While writing my previous post I made myself pretty sure that what I wanted, had nothing to do with keep unread. But I was not 100% sure, so I thought I should ask...
Yes, you did make that clear. I wasn't complaining about what you had asked, I was agreeing with you. Glad this mod turned out useful.

As for the problem you initially asked about, if phpbb3 does what you say it does, that sounds like a bug to me. I've never used subforums so I didn't notice this. If I have some time at some point I may look into that and, maybe, write something to fix it if it's messed up like that. .
:D :D
Lol, I didn't think that you were complaining .. :)

If you could look into it, it would be great ;)

One thing (maybe a little bug in the mod)
Suppose that I have no unread posts...The link writes "You have no unread posts"
I click on it and it correctly reports that I have no unread posts -- all OK till here...
I enter a topic and I mark a post as unread. When I return to index the links keeps writing "You have no unread posts"
But if you click on it, it wil - correctly - show the unread post that I have (the one I marked as unread)
Could you check it out and perhaps confirm this (in case this is my fault somehow - maybe a typo in file edits ..)

Thanks !!! ;)
My mods in MODDB:
Dr.Death

Post by Dr.Death »

i can confirm this "error".
Doc.
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

asinshesq wrote:As for the problem you initially asked about, if phpbb3 does what you say it does, that sounds like a bug to me. I've never used subforums so I didn't notice this. If I have some time at some point I may look into that and, maybe, write something to fix it if it's messed up like that.
dr.death wrote:i can confirm this "error".
I just checked out a plain vanilla unmodded phpbb3 RC5 board and do not see this error, so maybe I don't understand what you guys are actually asking about. I set up a subforum underneath a forum, and when there are unread posts in the subforum but not the parent forum, the icon for the parent forum is red like it is supposed to be (indicating that there is a new post in the forum or a subforum). I checked it using prosilver.

What behavior are you guys looking for phpbb3 to follow when there are new posts in a subforum?
ChriZathens

Post by ChriZathens »

I believe dr.death confirms the "bug" I posted about the mod:
ChriZathens wrote: One thing (maybe a little bug in the mod)
Suppose that I have no unread posts...The link writes "You have no unread posts"
I click on it and it correctly reports that I have no unread posts -- all OK till here...
I enter a topic and I mark a post as unread. When I return to index the links keeps writing "You have no unread posts"
But if you click on it, it wil - correctly - show the unread post that I have (the one I marked as unread)
Could you check it out and perhaps confirm this (in case this is my fault somehow - maybe a typo in file edits ..)

Thanks !!! ;)
Regarding the phpbb3 thing I mean this:
You have inside a forum 5 subforums, one of them has some unread posts...
The folder icon correctly changes, but what I wanted was so that the subforums title changes color, too.
This way you don't have to enter the forum and then see which subforum has unread posts, you simply click on the subforum's name directly, since you know that this is the subforum with the unread posts (its name has different color )
I hope you understand what I mean... :roll:
My mods in MODDB:
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

ChriZathens wrote:
I believe dr.death confirms the "bug" I posted about the mod:
ChriZathens wrote: One thing (maybe a little bug in the mod)

Thanks !!! ;)
Ah, maybe that is what he meant (I thought you were talking about a phpbb3 'bug' rather than the bug you had mentioned about this mod).
Regarding the phpbb3 thing I mean this:
The folder icon correctly changes, but what I wanted was so that the subforums title changes color, too.
This way you don't have to enter the forum and then see which subforum has unread posts, you simply click on the subforum's name directly, since you know that this is the subforum with the unread posts (its name has different color )
Do you mean the subforum title as it appears underneath the parent forum title on the index page?
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

ChriZathens wrote:Regarding the phpbb3 thing I mean this:
I just tested this and I do not understand what you mean. If there are unread posts in a subforum, the little icon to the left of the name of the subforum as it appears under the name of the parent forum in the index turns red - at least that's how it works in prosilver - so you can tell at a glance which subforum has unread posts and click the correct link for that subforum. I imagine you could change the template pretty easily so that the title of the subforum in the link were a different color too, but I'm not sure why that is helpful given that you already have that information from the red icon to the left of the link.

Of course, to see that functionality you need to turn on the feature that lists subforums (as links) under the parent forums in the index...is it possible that you didn't do that?
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Ok, I took a look at prosilver. If you want the subforum link that appears on the index to turn red when the subforum has unread posts, you can do this:

Code: Select all

OPEN
styles/prosilver/thene/colours.css

FIND
ul.topiclist li.row dt a.subforum.unread {
	background-image: url("{IMG_SUBFORUM_UNREAD_SRC}");
}

REPLACE WITH
ul.topiclist li.row dt a.subforum.unread {
	background-image: url("{IMG_SUBFORUM_UNREAD_SRC}");
	color: #FF0000;
}
If you are using the db rather than the filesystem to store template info, you'll need to make the same change in the db or refresh the database info so that it matches what is in your filesystem.
ChriZathens

Post by ChriZathens »

OMG... Now I see what you meant when you said that you could not understand what I want..

First of all, before explaining, I would like to say a big THANKS for spending time helping me on this. You are great!!!

The explanation: I was not using prosilver, but subsilver (and a couple of other subsilver-based styles)
You were right when you could not understand what I meant, because prosilver, besides the subforum name (link) shows a little image (on index page) which has turned red, so you can easily understand which subforum has the unread posts!!!(Now, with the change you proposed, the subforum's link with the unread posts has trully turned into red. But as you said before, this was not really necessary, since there was already the icon there)

But subsilver2 and the other subsilver-based themes, don't have such an icon!!! That's why I wanted to change the subforum's link color!!!
Unfortunately, subsilver does not have colours.css, so I cannot do the same thing there, too :cry:
Where should I look to change this in subsilver2, too??
asinshesq wrote: If you are using the db rather than the filesystem to store template info, you'll need to make the same change in the db or refresh the database info so that it matches what is in your filesystem.
And what do you mean by this? Change what?? :oops: :oops:

Thanks in advance, man!!
You've been soooo kind !!!
My mods in MODDB:

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”