[MODDB] View or Mark Unread Posts for PHPBB3

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
asinshesq
Name: Alan

Re: [BETA] View or Mark Unread Posts for PHPBB3

Post by asinshesq »

ChriZathens wrote:But subsilver2 and the other subsilver-based themes, don't have such an icon!!! That's why I wanted to change the subforum's link color!!!
Unfortunately, subsilver does not have colours.css, so I cannot do the same thing there, too :cry:
Where should I look to change this in subsilver2, too??
The file includes/functions_display.php is the one that assigns the class "subforum unread" to the subforum link if the subforum has unreads in it, so the class is getting assigned to the index template even though subsilver doesn't make use of it. For example, if you take your browser to the index page using subsilver and look at the source you will see that it is still calling class "subforum unread" but you are correct that the css stylesheet doesn't define it so it gets ignored. You should be able to edit the stylesheet and fix it. For example, try this:

Code: Select all

OPEN
subsilver2/theme/stylesheet.css

FIND
a.forumlink {
	color: #069;
	font-weight: bold;
	font-family: "Lucida Grande", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
	font-size: 1.2em;
}

AFTER, ADD
a.subforum.unread {
   color: #FF0000;
}
I don't know if that will work, but if not it should be pretty close to working and if you mess around with it you should be able to get it to work eventually.
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

asinshesq wrote:I don't know if that will work, but if not it should be pretty close to working and if you mess around with it you should be able to get it to work eventually.
I just tried it and it does in fact work fine.

Once again, if you are drawing your templates from the db rather than the template files, you will need to make the change using the theme editor in the acp.
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

ChriZathens wrote:One thing (maybe a little bug in the mod)
Suppose that I have no unread posts...The link writes "You have no unread posts"
I click on it and it correctly reports that I have no unread posts -- all OK till here...
I enter a topic and I mark a post as unread. When I return to index the links keeps writing "You have no unread posts"
But if you click on it, it wil - correctly - show the unread post that I have (the one I marked as unread)
Could you check it out and perhaps confirm this (in case this is my fault somehow - maybe a typo in file edits ..)
I just checked this and I cannot replicate the problem you are having. When I do what you describe and go back to the index the forum correctly is marked as having unread posts. And I tried it on prosilver and subsilver.

Sounds to me like you are having some kind of cache problem with your browser. When you go to the index after marking the post unread, try to refresh the page and see what happens. And try clearing your cache and refreshing and see what happens.
saaiberke

Post by saaiberke »

I also tried to replicate the problem but I can't. On my Prosilver board it is working fine, when I return to the index I have unread messages, so it changes like it should be.

Nic
ChriZathens
Name: Chris

Post by ChriZathens »

asinshesq wrote:
ChriZathens wrote:But subsilver2 and the other subsilver-based themes, don't have such an icon!!! That's why I wanted to change the subforum's link color!!!
Unfortunately, subsilver does not have colours.css, so I cannot do the same thing there, too :cry:
Where should I look to change this in subsilver2, too??
The file includes/functions_display.php is the one that assigns the class "subforum unread" to the subforum link if the subforum has unreads in it, so the class is getting assigned to the index template even though subsilver doesn't make use of it. For example, if you take your browser to the index page using subsilver and look at the source you will see that it is still calling class "subforum unread" but you are correct that the css stylesheet doesn't define it so it gets ignored. You should be able to edit the stylesheet and fix it. For example, try this:

Code: Select all

OPEN
subsilver2/theme/stylesheet.css

FIND
a.forumlink {
	color: #069;
	font-weight: bold;
	font-family: "Lucida Grande", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
	font-size: 1.2em;
}

AFTER, ADD
a.subforum.unread {
   color: #FF0000;
}
I don't know if that will work, but if not it should be pretty close to working and if you mess around with it you should be able to get it to work eventually.
Thanks a lot for all your help !!! I tried it and it worked just fine!!!
asinshesq wrote: I just checked this and I cannot replicate the problem you are having. When I do what you describe and go back to the index the forum correctly is marked as having unread posts. And I tried it on prosilver and subsilver.

Sounds to me like you are having some kind of cache problem with your browser. When you go to the index after marking the post unread, try to refresh the page and see what happens. And try clearing your cache and refreshing and see what happens.
Since it works as it should in your board, then it certainly is not a mod bug.. That's the good thing.. ;)
I'll check it out after a few refreshes and see how it works... ;)

A request for this MOD, though (Sorry for beeing such a pain in the !@# but I try to help make this mod as more functional as it can get...)
I have e.g. 100 unread posts.. I read 1 or 2 and I want to mark the other unreads as read.
I believe it is a good idea to place a link there " Mark all as read", so that you don't have to return to index and press the relative link.
Plus, while being in the unread posts page and decide that I don't need any other unreads I have to go to index and in the meantime there will maybe be a new post and I 'll mark it read, too..
My mods in MODDB:
Add Homepage link in header - Change user activity post limit - Post number in viewtopic
If you need support click on the support tab there and post your question.
Do not PM me - chances of viewing my PMs are way thinner than viewing the support question in the customization DB...
cotp

Post by cotp »

Hi :)

Is this Mod still compatible with RC7 ?

Thanks

Cotp
Dr.Death

Post by Dr.Death »

Yes, it works in my RC7 board.....
Doc.
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

dr.death wrote:Yes, it works in my RC7 board.....
Thanks for letting us know. I haven't tried it myself (my test board is still on RC5 and I'm not planning on moving my forums over for a long long time).
cotp

Post by cotp »

dr.death wrote:Yes, it works in my RC7 board.....
tripwater

Post by tripwater »

Hello, I just installed MOD Version: 0.0.4. I double checked and I can't see that I am missing anything. But when I go to my forum, there is no 'unread posts' or 'You have no unread posts' link. Neither show up. There are unread posts there and no matter what I do, I do not see this link on my page. I am using the subsilver2 style but I also made the changes to the prosilver style as well.

Any ideas? I read that many of you are having no problems with this...so it must be something simple I am overlooking. But I can not find it at the moment.

Here is a screen shot of my form...I assume the new links would replace the "view new posts" link
http://www.timkelleyonline.com/screenshot.jpg

Thanks for any help with this.
Bobby McFerrin is Mozart
tripwater

Post by tripwater »

Well I just purged the cache in the admin panel and now the links show up!!!! So far it looks as though I am good to go!

Thanks
Bobby McFerrin is Mozart
Octopus

Post by Octopus »

Two small questions:

- Does this MOD work with the GOLD-Version of phpbb?
- What is missing to go from Beta to RC-Status??

Best regards and nice Christmas :-)
Octopus
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Octopus wrote:Two small questions:

- Does this MOD work with the GOLD-Version of phpbb?
- What is missing to go from Beta to RC-Status??

Best regards and nice Christmas :-)
Octopus
Seems to work fine. As far as I'm concerned, it's done. I will try to submit it for validation some time in the next few days.
Libor

Post by Libor »

Exist Demo of this mod?
My czech forum about mp3 players: http://www.mujprehravac.cz/forum/
I use many of items here in forum. Thanks all for help and mods.
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Libor wrote:Exist Demo of this mod?
No, but it does what it says:

- it adds a new link called "Mark post as unread" at the bottom of each post in viewtopic (if the user clicks that link the post is marked as unread)

- it adds a new link on the index (right next to the View new posts link) that allows the user to get a list of all unread posts so that he can then read them.

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”