[DEV] Inter Board PM

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Anti-Spam Guide
User avatar
christhatsme
Registered User
Posts: 1811
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:42 am
Location: London, UK

Re: [DEV] Inter Board PM

Post by christhatsme » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:58 pm

The server is very nearly finished, hopefully done by the end of this week....
All MOD downloads should be back now - Sorry for that and serious lack of support! - If anyone wants to take over or help with any of my MODs the offer would be apreciated as I have little time for phpBB Modding recently!

Again very sorry for not supporting these MODs recently.

User avatar
damnian
Registered User
Posts: 801
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: [DEV] Inter Board PM

Post by damnian » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:15 pm

I really hate being the one to break the news, but centralization killed this great idea.
I no longer develop for phpBB. Check out my .NET blog!

User avatar
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant
Posts: 19511
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2001 12:11 am
Location: In your servers

Re: [DEV] Inter Board PM

Post by Techie-Micheal » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:35 pm

And how is that?
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

User avatar
damnian
Registered User
Posts: 801
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: [DEV] Inter Board PM

Post by damnian » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:42 pm

Techie-Micheal wrote:And how is that?
I, for one, will never use it, for the same reason I'm not using bbProtection...
I no longer develop for phpBB. Check out my .NET blog!

User avatar
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant
Posts: 19511
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2001 12:11 am
Location: In your servers

Re: [DEV] Inter Board PM

Post by Techie-Micheal » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:40 pm

damnian wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:And how is that?
I, for one, will never use it, for the same reason I'm not using bbProtection...
How nice of you to dodge the question.

You stated:
I really hate being the one to break the news, but centralization killed this great idea.
So just because you won't use it for personal reasons (because you've not stated anything of fact), that means the idea won't succeed? Smooth.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN


User avatar
damnian
Registered User
Posts: 801
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: [DEV] Inter Board PM

Post by damnian » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:29 am

Do I really have to write an article about the merits of centralization?

I tried web search, and, strangely enough, the best result I got was the "Why" section of the phpbb-openid Pavatar announcement by yours truly:
If you ever used Gravatar 1.0, you surely know why. If you didn't, here are three quick reasons:

1. Sites go down (as Gravatar did, for several months)
2. Sites turn evil
3. Sites get bought by evil companies (as MyBlogLog was)

Just as with OpenID, the idea is zero centralization. Nobody but you should be in control of your identity [...]
Last edited by damnian on Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
I no longer develop for phpBB. Check out my .NET blog!

User avatar
christhatsme
Registered User
Posts: 1811
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:42 am
Location: London, UK

Re: [DEV] Inter Board PM

Post by christhatsme » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:33 am

its pretty impossible for us to go evil.. Whats the worst we can do, withdraw the service? Since no database changes are made on response from us, we can't take over your board...

Centralization was the only way forward if you didn't want spam. Imagine this, a bot wouldn't even have to come to your site to post spam, he would not have to be validated strictly or anything. Sounds like a spammers heaven to me? I was all for this, it made my life a lot easier, then it was decided that it would be impossible to handle all the spam it would attract.

Since we are hosting this on a dedicated server, and if one goes down, we could switdch to another within a day, I don't think you will have problems with service unavaible, if you do, then your board carries on as usual, its speed won't be affected, as I intend to check the server is up on the user side before any requests are sent.

If you don't like it, no one is making you use it.

EDIT

At the end of the day, we want to make this MOD secure, the only way we could see this working, with no holes is if it went via us, this way your not going to be taking the malicious stuff, we will.
All MOD downloads should be back now - Sorry for that and serious lack of support! - If anyone wants to take over or help with any of my MODs the offer would be apreciated as I have little time for phpBB Modding recently!

Again very sorry for not supporting these MODs recently.

User avatar
damnian
Registered User
Posts: 801
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: [DEV] Inter Board PM

Post by damnian » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:39 am

christhatsme, it's nothing personal against you (or your partner). What if you decide to turn to a different direction? Will this work without the server?

My (kind of expected ;-)) suggestion to you would be to use OpenID for authentication and offer that central blacklist of yours as an extra.
I no longer develop for phpBB. Check out my .NET blog!

User avatar
christhatsme
Registered User
Posts: 1811
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:42 am
Location: London, UK

Re: [DEV] Inter Board PM

Post by christhatsme » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:53 am

No, but chances of me turning away are slim, OK fair enough I might sell the data center, but I doubt that becauseits doing better and better, and if I do, I will move the server somewhere else.

No it won't work without the server.

I did look into OpenID but it was not an option, and, well un-needed. Even with OpenID I would have t going by the server, we do spam checks, if it is concluded that a user is spamming, he is locked, and all his messages are held.

Trust me, we are only doing it centrally to make the MOD safe, or safer from spam. After all, initially I wanted to do it directly, for the same reasons you say, but from our perspective, the only way forward is central if its going to be secure.
All MOD downloads should be back now - Sorry for that and serious lack of support! - If anyone wants to take over or help with any of my MODs the offer would be apreciated as I have little time for phpBB Modding recently!

Again very sorry for not supporting these MODs recently.

User avatar
damnian
Registered User
Posts: 801
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: [DEV] Inter Board PM

Post by damnian » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:32 am

I just found a great recent writeup on this subject:
Krishwords wrote:My hunch feeling tells me that the future of social networking is an open standards based decentralized networks in the People Agrregator mould, with something like OpenID being the single point of entry needed to connect with people.
I no longer develop for phpBB. Check out my .NET blog!

User avatar
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant
Posts: 19511
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2001 12:11 am
Location: In your servers

Re: [DEV] Inter Board PM

Post by Techie-Micheal » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:08 pm

damnian wrote:Do I really have to write an article about the merits of centralization?

I tried web search, and, strangely enough, the best result I got was the "Why" section of the phpbb-openid Pavatar announcement by yours truly:
If you ever used Gravatar 1.0, you surely know why. If you didn't, here are three quick reasons:

1. Sites go down (as Gravatar did, for several months)
2. Sites turn evil
3. Sites get bought by evil companies (as MyBlogLog was)

Just as with OpenID, the idea is zero centralization. Nobody but you should be in control of your identity [...]
So what you are telling me is that sites will automatically become evil because they are centralized. That has nothing to do with the people behind them. Riiiight. So things go down. Projects like Punkbuster, Yahoo Pipes, Flickr, they are all going to turn evil if they haven't already, and are going to fail, because they are centralized. Do you have anything based in reality to support your initial comment? Meanwhile, the rest of us would like reality-based comments with things of more substance than "sites turn evil." I suppose you are completely ignoring how P2P turns evil. Yeah, decentralized (no centralization ;)). But I have technologically sound arguments. Oh, like how it disrupts networks, legitimate filesharing or not, because security has to be lowered on the client machines as well as the network itself, how easy it is to launch a worm on P2P networks, and more.

And honestly, just because you link to an article you wrote doesn't mean you are an authority on the subject. ;)
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

User avatar
christhatsme
Registered User
Posts: 1811
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:42 am
Location: London, UK

Re: [DEV] Inter Board PM

Post by christhatsme » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:01 pm

damnian wrote:I just found a great recent writeup on this subject:
Krishwords wrote:My hunch feeling tells me that the future of social networking is an open standards based decentralized networks in the People Agrregator mould, with something like OpenID being the single point of entry needed to connect with people.
Thats just his/their opinion, with something like this anything but centralization could cause serious security flaws... I would love to not have to have a server, might aswell cut out the middle man if its not needed, and costs money to run.
All MOD downloads should be back now - Sorry for that and serious lack of support! - If anyone wants to take over or help with any of my MODs the offer would be apreciated as I have little time for phpBB Modding recently!

Again very sorry for not supporting these MODs recently.

User avatar
christhatsme
Registered User
Posts: 1811
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:42 am
Location: London, UK

Re: [DEV] Inter Board PM

Post by christhatsme » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:05 pm

Server finished, now working on client :)

IWisdom is working on the server front end (the website)
All MOD downloads should be back now - Sorry for that and serious lack of support! - If anyone wants to take over or help with any of my MODs the offer would be apreciated as I have little time for phpBB Modding recently!

Again very sorry for not supporting these MODs recently.

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Posts: 4608
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:29 pm
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Name: Chris Smith
Contact:

Re: [DEV] Inter Board PM

Post by ToonArmy » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:14 pm

Why won't this work in a decentralised way?
Chris SmithGitHub

Locked

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”