[DEV] Inter Board PM

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
christhatsme

Re: [DEV] Inter Board PM

Post by christhatsme » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:28 am

Sorry about this but I won't be able to do much work on this until the end of the summer, so it will be significantly delayed!
All MOD downloads should be back now - Sorry for that and serious lack of support! - If anyone wants to take over or help with any of my MODs the offer would be apreciated as I have little time for phpBB Modding recently!

Again very sorry for not supporting these MODs recently.

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:14 pm

This inter-board PM is a great idea! :D

OK, I've got some ideas of my own that I want to tell you guys and I hope they haven't been said before because I only read the first few posts....

Some people mentioned spam between boards and stuff and I think I have a solution.

Think of a 'key'

Scenario: Board A and Board B both have this mod and wish to exchange PMs with it.

First, Board A's admin and B's admin make a key, which could be any random string, such as 'qwerty'. The string is hashed via MD5 and stored in the database. Both A and B do this.

Next, A and B admins tell eachother what their secret key is, but not MD5, they have to tell that the key is 'qwerty' or whatever it is.

Now, if a board wishes to participate, it must know the key in order to receive messages. Each message sent by B to A will have the key in MD5 format. It is then compared to the master key in A's database, and if it matches, then the first check is done. The second check is that the key from the other board is checked. Essentially, you have the two boards verify eachother's secret key to make sure that the message is legit. A potential spammer would have to know both keys to make a form.

The two admins may change the keys if they wish, and that may deter spammers.

That's my idea, and if anyone has comments on it, that would be great, since I don't think it is 100% fool-proof. :geek:
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:17 pm

IIRC, Chris was planning on having one central server dealing with authentication -- once you install the MOD, you register with the server. The server then handles things like antispam, etc.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:29 pm

Why use that? What happens if the central server is down or is compromised? Also, what if this mod becomes popular and the central server is overloaded?

What if just two boards (or some other small number) want to participate without the hassle of having to go through a central server?
Moof!

Phil
Former Team Member

Post by Phil » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:23 pm

Dog Cow wrote:Why use that? What happens if the central server is down or is compromised? Also, what if this mod becomes popular and the central server is overloaded?
It's going to be a dedicated server hosted in the data center, it'll be fairly stable :D
What if just two boards (or some other small number) want to participate without the hassle of having to go through a central server?
If you have to make a specific arrangement with a board in order to contact them, that'll keep the scale of the MOD rather small, which isn't really it's aim :D

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:22 pm

I'm not really sure why it would be a hassle to go through a central environment. The idea of any central setup, be it this or any other, is to be as transparent as possible. In other words, not a hassle to use the service.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

Phil
Former Team Member

Post by Phil » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:28 pm

Techie-Micheal wrote:I'm not really sure why it would be a hassle to go through a central environment. The idea of any central setup, be it this or any other, is to be as transparent as possible. In other words, not a hassle to use the service.
That was something else we were considering. By using a central server, it allows us to keep the bulk of code on our end.

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:07 pm

While I disagree with using a central server, inter-board PM is still a fantastic idea.

I must say, though, if I were to write this for myself and another board, I would have the two boards talk to each other and skip the "third wheel."

Good luck, guys!! :D
Moof!

Phil
Former Team Member

Post by Phil » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:04 pm

Chris is out of town and he needs to finish the server/client components before I can write the server frontend, so I personally am hoping for an early October beta release...

christhatsme

Post by christhatsme » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:30 am

I'm back in town now after a boring 6 weeks of buissiness, I'm knacked so I will start again tomorrow and maybe we can fit in an alpha release in the next week, but don't hold me to anything!
All MOD downloads should be back now - Sorry for that and serious lack of support! - If anyone wants to take over or help with any of my MODs the offer would be apreciated as I have little time for phpBB Modding recently!

playerfr

Post by playerfr » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:47 pm

You can edit your signature :mrgreen:
All kind of help for your Forums / Sites. Installing for you the forum, the Mods, creating Custom Mods : for small fee http://www.phpbbhelpers.com

christhatsme

Post by christhatsme » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:06 pm

good point :P

theman83

Post by theman83 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:25 am

I like this idea. Look forward to seeing the first alpha release. I'll keep an eye on this. :)

Phil
Former Team Member

Post by Phil » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:15 am

As soon as Chris gives me something to work off of the actual website frontend to the server may get done sometime :D

benyboi

Post by benyboi » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:59 pm

hey guys i have a dedicated server thats not being used much...

spec:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2GHz
1GB Ram
160GB HD (raid 1)
Unmettered 100MB port

so if u need help hosting anything id be glad to help out :D

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”