[ABD]The Wizard's Self Auth Mod

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
thewizard

[ABD]The Wizard's Self Auth Mod

Post by thewizard »

MOD Title: TheWizard's Self Auth
MOD Description: This mod allows the administrator to create a group forum permission so that they can post topics and only view and reply to their own topics. Forum moderators will be able to view all threads by default. Only groups with the permission set will be affected by the "Self Auth" permission.

In essence, it allows for the creation of "private" forums that can be used for support requests or any kind of topic that sensitive information may be shared between the forum staff and the topic poster.
MOD Version: 1.0.2

MOD Download:

Demo Pictures:

• Features:
    • ACP Entry
    • Group permission settable
    • Post & Topic counts reflect forum view status
    • Non-Moderators are only able to view and reply to their own topics.
    • Forum moderators are able to view all threads and reply to them
    • Modx Supported
    Changelog:
    • 2007-06-11 - Version 0.1.0
      • First Release
    • 2007-06-13 - Version 0.1.1
      • Fixed a couple of typos in the installation instructions.
    • 2007-06-13 - Version 0.1.2
      • Fixed an issue tabulating the total topics & total posts of when sub-forums are involved.
    • 2007-06-28 - Version 1.0.0
      • Moved into Release Candidate Stage 1.
    • 2007-07-02 - Version 1.0.1
      • Updated install instructions to be more understandable.
    • 2007-12-13 - Version 1.0.2
      • Updated modification to install on phpBB 3.0 Gold.
      • Fixed Ego Search, thanks to grabillerfor pointing it out.

Author Comments: To be honest, I was a little surprised not to see this as a built-in feature already. Neils gave us such a great mod for phpBB2 that I couldn't let it go undone for phpBB3. Any comments, questions, concerns, or etc are more than welcome. Please let me know if you use this modification.

Edit - 2007/06/28 : I've moved the mod into RC1 status. I've got a few future planned features that may get added into the RC later this week, but for now it's stable and okay to install. I've been using it for about a month now on a few high traffic forums and everyone has seemed to be enjoying it quite a bit. As always, I've updated the install file to reflect the new mod status. There have been no code changes, so if you are running the 0.1.2 version, you will be fine. I've taken the liberty to offer zip, rar, and tarball packages for those of varied decompression access.
Last edited by tumba25 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:08 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Reason: Removed links and marked as abandoned.
dodo5000

Re: [Beta]The Wizard's Self Auth Mod

Post by dodo5000 »

WOW :o
finally this mod coded for phpbb
thank you :D
thewizard

Post by thewizard »

No, thank you for the comment. Feel free to let me know if you run across an issue that needs fixing, or perhaps even just a feature request.
ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Post by ChrisRLG »

Is this not the same as these two others that are also under development.

[Beta] JC's Forum Author View 0.0.3

[DEV] Author Viewable Only MOD
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing
thewizard

Post by thewizard »

Same idea, different implementation.

Highway of Life's is still under development and BondGamer's makes a forum toggle instead of using the permissions system. If nobody has found any bugs by the end of the week, mine will be moving to RC. I've been using it on my own forums for awhile and it's not shown any issues as of yet.
thewizard

Post by thewizard »

Download updated. There was a minor issue with a typo on the installation instructions concerning a directory path and filename. Please re-download if any confusion was caused before.
sypher01

Post by sypher01 »

If the same user posts 2 or more topics, can he still see em all ?
(Asking because in ur demo shots seems he cant).
If he cant ... is that intentional? Can that be turned off?
Thanks in advance
thewizard

Post by thewizard »

Yes they can sypher. I updated the user_forum_view.jpg to reflect that.
thewizard

Post by thewizard »

There was a small issue with calculating the total posts & total threads when sub-forums off the "self auth'd" forums were concerned, this is now fixed. I've updated the download package has been updated and an update from the 0.1.0 -> 0.1.2 for those who installed the original release has been included..
IPB_Refugee
Name: Wolfgang Weber

Post by IPB_Refugee »

Hi thewizard,

thank you for this MOD! Just a short question: Is your MOD secure from URL tricks? Can someone who is not the author of a topic read the topic by guessing it´s URL and typing e.g.

example.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=100
example.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=101
example.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=102
example.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=103
example.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=104&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&view=print
example.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=105&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&view=print

and so on? Or will he/she get an error message? And how many additional queries does your MOD create?

Greetings from Austria
Wolfgang
thewizard

Post by thewizard »

IPB_Refugee wrote:Hi thewizard,

thank you for this MOD! Just a short question: Is your MOD secure from URL tricks? Can someone who is not the author of a topic read the topic by guessing it´s URL and typing e.g.

example.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=100
example.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=101
example.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=102
example.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=103
example.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=104&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&view=print
example.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=105&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&view=print

and so on? Or will he/she get an error message? And how many additional queries does your MOD create?

Greetings from Austria
Wolfgang
It is in fact safe from url tricks. If trying to view a topic or post in a topic that you don't have access to, you'll receive an error stating you aren't authorized to be there. And at this time, there are three extra queries. They are in the forum list build loop, so the more forums you have with the f_selfview permission set in the groups, the # of queries will rise. However, the queries are so small that you should see no real overhead whatsoever. I've been using this on a large community forum and have had no performance issues as of yet.
IPB_Refugee

Post by IPB_Refugee »

Hi thewizard,

that´s good news - thank you! :)
thewizard wrote:And at this time, there are three extra queries. They are in the forum list build loop, so the more forums you have with the f_selfview permission set in the groups, the # of queries will rise.
You mean, the 3 additional queries only have effect on index.php? There are no additional queries necessary for viewforum.php and viewtopic.php?

Regards
Wolfgang
thewizard

Post by thewizard »

IPB_Refugee wrote:
thewizard wrote:And at this time, there are three extra queries. They are in the forum list build loop, so the more forums you have with the f_selfview permission set in the groups, the # of queries will rise.
You mean, the 3 additional queries only have effect on index.php? There are no additional queries necessary for viewforum.php and viewtopic.php?

Regards
Wolfgang

They are in functions_display.php which is called to build the forum list on both index.php and the subforum list for viewforum.php. So since it is only one function for the both, it's still only the three additional queries. And no, there are no extra queries anywhere else. display_forums() is used to build the list of forums and subforums. That's the only place the queries were necessary to fix the visual bug of showing the incorrect number of posts, threads, and incorrect last post information to the wrong user. These queries are of course bypassed if you are a moderator. The way it works is that only the group that has the f_selfview permission set on them for the forum being listed will have the queries executed so that they are shown the correct information as to the total # of threads they have, the total # of posts in their threads, and the correct last post information in their thread.
IPB_Refugee

Post by IPB_Refugee »

Hi thewizard,

thanks for your explanation and for your very useful MOD!

Have a nice weekend!
Wolfgang
thewizard

Post by thewizard »

Your welcome Wolfgang

Have a good weekend and let me know if you are having any issues with the mod. If nothing comes up by monday, I am going to move it into RC1.

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”