[RC1] Prime Notify Topic - Add Msg to Notification Email

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
casskhav

Re: [RC1] Prime Notify Topic - Add Msg to Notification Email

Post by casskhav » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:19 pm

I had not commented anything out because I was pretty sure that $prime_notify_always set to true was the answer. This being my first mod, I was just being overly cautious. But in the meantime, I went for it, followed his clearly written instructions - and it appears to be working like a charm. This will make a huge difference for us - definitely worth a donation for primehalo!

brushwoodnursery

Post by brushwoodnursery » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:29 pm

casskhav wrote: This will make a huge difference for us - definitely worth a donation for primehalo!
Sweedak
-Dan
Using all ten thumbs, rusty scalpels and blunt instruments on PHP

primehalo
Former Team Member

Post by primehalo » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:31 pm

casskhav wrote:I had not commented anything out because I was pretty sure that $prime_notify_always set to true was the answer. This being my first mod, I was just being overly cautious. But in the meantime, I went for it, followed his clearly written instructions - and it appears to be working like a charm. This will make a huge difference for us - definitely worth a donation for primehalo!
Thanks, I appreciate it!
Ken F. Innes IV
My Extensions | My MODs | My Topics | My Site: Absolute Anime
Experience the wonder of Japanese Animation!

casskhav

Post by casskhav » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:57 pm

Just when I thought everything was rosy . . . . I have installed the mod as described. My main reason was for the $prime_notify_always option. I have a group that wants to get notification of all posts regardless of the last time they were on the Board.

Everything went well, I thought it was working, but I have since discovered that some emails are not being sent. Should this work for New Topic Notification? I posted a New Topic to a forum which I know everyone is subscribed to and not all got the automatic notification. I have verified this via email logs from my Host - there are 3 members that did not get sent an email. These 3 are the 3 who are probably on the Board the least. I had purged the cache after installing the mod (actually after finding it didn't work the first test note). And there is nothing in the Error Log.

Any ideas?! Please? What am I missing?

Thanks!

casskhav

Post by casskhav » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:10 am

Update - it looks like some members may require an un-subscribe then re-subscribe to the forums. I did this with one member, and she got notified of a second New Topic posted. Does this in any way make sense? Should I be hopeful that this is the real fix?

primehalo
Former Team Member

Post by primehalo » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:10 am

The method I choose to implement this feature was to not set the status flag that indicates a user has already been notified. If users received a notification and had not visited the forum/topic before this MOD was installed, then they would not receive any more notifications until they visit because the status flag had already been set.
Ken F. Innes IV

casskhav

Post by casskhav » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:39 pm

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the explanation. And just Thanks!

moustafamin

Post by moustafamin » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:39 pm

hi primehalo...
when I subscribe to a forum I want the Email to be sent when -only- a new topic is added, not for posts..
is it possible??

ItsPaPPy

Post by ItsPaPPy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:54 pm

maybe i am blind but can someone either here or via pm
inform me how do i make it so i continuously receive mails even if i dont visit the topic

casskhav

Post by casskhav » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:18 pm

ItsPaPPy wrote:maybe i am blind but can someone either here or via pm
inform me how do i make it so i continuously receive mails even if i dont visit the topic
Maybe you need to re-do the install since primehalo made the addition of the $prime_notify_always variable? It seems you were asking questions before that addition, and when I installed the mod, there was explanation of what you are after and it did work quite nicely for me once I understood how it worked. Once it is installed, your members need to visit the board to re-set status flag for notifications to be sent properly.

Hope this helps - good luck!

ItsPaPPy

Post by ItsPaPPy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:39 pm

doh i forgot to check the file he uploaded again
i was just editing on the fly with what was coming down

also i noticed in his patch notes he says he made changes in 2007 when this is really 2008!

primehalo
Former Team Member

Post by primehalo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:17 pm

moustafamin wrote:hi primehalo...
when I subscribe to a forum I want the Email to be sent when -only- a new topic is added, not for posts..
is it possible??
Not with my MOD, but sounds like a good request. You should post it in the MOD requests forum.
Ken F. Innes IV

gunemalli

Post by gunemalli » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:51 am

Hello Promehalo,

I've installed both your PM and Topic notification MODs and i really love them. For everyone's information i'd like to say that this MOD works perfectly well with the following MODs:

AJAX Chat by Handyman
Welcome PM by Frans
Extra Ranks MOD by Frans
Activity Stats MOD by Highway of Life
ACP Attachment MOD (I can't remember by who's)
JavaScript Logout Confirmation MOD (Same as above) and
Lytebox MOD by me.

There's one feature that i'd like to ask from you to put into this MOD, and it has been asked in this thread but hasn't been replied yet.

I'd like to limit the amount of characters that the user sees from his e-mail. Say to about 500 chars, so that he must visit the forum to read the post fully. An added bonus would be if this is happens to all users except for Admins and Moderators. But my primary is to limit the chars.

Thanks Primehalo for a great MOD.

Anyasha
Name: Anyasha

Post by Anyasha » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:16 am

I did both mods, both the original and the included optional, and when someone replies or makes a new post they get this:
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '.user_notify_content FROM phpbb3_topics_watch w, phpbb3_users u [1064]

SQL

SELECT u.user_id, u.username, u.user_email, u.user_lang, u.user_notify_type, u.user_jabber u.user_notify_content FROM phpbb3_topics_watch w, phpbb3_users u WHERE w.topic_id = 12 AND w.user_id NOT IN (1, 2) AND w.notify_status = 0 AND u.user_type IN (0, 3) AND u.user_id = w.user_id
The post goes through but they are taken to the error page. Yes, I did the SQL. The problem is in the "optional" included mod because it works with just the original mod.
Kiss me, I'm Polish!

primehalo
Former Team Member

Post by primehalo » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:17 pm

Try changing this:

Code: Select all

//-- mod: Prime Notify Topic ------------------------------------------------//
        $sql = substr_replace($sql, 'u.user_notify_content ', strpos($sql, 'FROM'), 0);
//-- end: Prime Notify Topic ------------------------------------------------//  
To this:

Code: Select all

//-- mod: Prime Notify Topic ------------------------------------------------//
    if (($offset = strpos($sql, 'FROM')) !== false)
    {
        $sql = substr($sql, 0, $offset) . ', u.user_notify_content ' . substr($sql, strlen('FROM'));
    }
//-- end: Prime Notify Topic ------------------------------------------------//  
Ken F. Innes IV

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”