[BETA] Account Links

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
Rotsblok
Name: Rikkert Westa

Re: [BETA] Account Links

Post by Rotsblok » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:06 pm

From a pm when the mod was marked as [ABD]
Drakkim wrote:The coding for a mod/admin-only version is actually in the current version, but I think the installer is missing and there's an issue with one of the templates. I will try to catch all that up this weekend and let you know. Just FYI, it's an MCP module, not a UCP module.
Nederlandse Support site
Several dutch translations for 3.1 extensions if you need one or there is an update of an extension feel free to notify me.

DaKaren

Post by DaKaren » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:12 am

Never mind.

Found the problem :)
Last edited by DaKaren on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

4_seven
I've Been Banned!

Post by 4_seven » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:21 am

DaKaren wrote:

Code: Select all

language/en/mods/account_link.php:1
look at the file, may there is an empty line before

Code: Select all

<?php
delete the line and check it out again.

other reason is, that you use a editor, which saves not under utf8 without bom, so use eg. notepad++ to edit your language php files and save/convert the file in this format
Current Mods | Mod Base | php(BB) programming | No help via PM

Drakkim

Post by Drakkim » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:05 am

4_seven wrote:other reason is, that you use a editor, which saves not under utf8 without bom, so use eg. notepad++ to edit your language php files and save/convert the file in this format
This is exactly the problem. Somehow some of the language files got saved as UTF-8 with the BOM... I have no idea how or when, because I did most of my testing for recent versions on a Windows machine where the BOM isn't an issue. But, anyway, they've all been corrected for the next release which (hopefully!) will be this weekend. Right now... I've gotta get back to a school deadline. Fun stuff.

Frug

Post by Frug » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:21 am

Thank you for your continued work on this mod. It's been in use by my users for years now.

I'm still using an older version because it suits my needs but I think i'll update it now. It seems most others are also using it for RP purposes with multiple characters.

edit: update was easy and painless. I think there was a BOM in the language file (man that causes weird results) but I resaved it without one.
- - - - - - - - - - - Do not use dotted lines - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - or automatic signatures - - - - - - - - - -
Thar Shaddin - online freeform roleplaying for writers

SillyNika

Post by SillyNika » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:07 pm

Hello users of this mod! :D I have a few quick questions.
1) Do linked accounts show up as sub-accounts of the mother account?
2) How can you see what accounts are linked to what user?
3) Is it possible to set limits on the number of linked accounts? So that maybe one person can only have so and so many linked; this would matter more if the answer to #1 is Yes.

Also, can someone please send me a link to their board so I can try it and see for myself? :D I am making a decision between phpbb3 and SMF, because both have a similar mod, but the other one had ways to try it out.

Thank you very much! :mrgreen:

Drakkim

Post by Drakkim » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:05 am

SillyNika wrote:1) Do linked accounts show up as sub-accounts of the mother account?
2) How can you see what accounts are linked to what user?
At the moment, the accounts don't "show" as linked at all to anyone else, unless the moderator version is installed, then moderators can see the linked accounts. It is in the plan to add that as an option in the user profiles, but some boards won't like that. Also, there's a black-list feature in the next version that keeps certain names from ever showing up to someone else. (Useful for example if you have one person responsible for discipline, but don't want everyone to know what characters he plays.)
3) Is it possible to set limits on the number of linked accounts? So that maybe one person can only have so and so many linked; this would matter more if the answer to #1 is Yes.
No, but it's a feature I can add to my to do list if you'd like.
Also, can someone please send me a link to their board so I can try it and see for myself? :D I am making a decision between phpbb3 and SMF, because both have a similar mod, but the other one had ways to try it out.
Interesting! Can you supply a link to it? I'd like to see what features they have...

SillyNika

Post by SillyNika » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:31 am

Drakkim wrote:At the moment, the accounts don't "show" as linked at all to anyone else, unless the moderator version is installed, then moderators can see the linked accounts. It is in the plan to add that as an option in the user profiles, but some boards won't like that. Also, there's a black-list feature in the next version that keeps certain names from ever showing up to someone else. (Useful for example if you have one person responsible for discipline, but don't want everyone to know what characters he plays.)
You could add it as an option in the admin board! :D Or even, to add as an option in the admin board to add as an option in the user board. :P Also, that is a very good idea, so that the person does not need one discipline account to be used seperately...

The reason I was asking is that I think it would be GREAT if there was a mother account with subaccounts (haha that is the name of the SMF mod :P) linked or an option to do so, that way people can see the main account (of the person), and also the subaccounts (of the characters). When a subaccount (character) is clicked on, in the SMF mod it shows that it is a subaccount by showing Forum>Profiles>User>Subaccounts>Character in that thing that always shows how you navigate to that spot, if you get what I mean... I personally think if it just had a section (at the top?) of the subacc profile that said it was a subacc of so and so's account, that would be even better and more visible too.

While I'm on this semi-rant, I will also mention that being able to have different profile fields for accs versus subaccs would be amazing as well. :D
Drakkim wrote:
SillyNika wrote:3) Is it possible to set limits on the number of linked accounts? So that maybe one person can only have so and so many linked; this would matter more if the answer to #1 is Yes.
No, but it's a feature I can add to my to do list if you'd like.
That would be amazing, thanks! :D A huge part of the reason I've been hooked on this idea is less about simplicity of changing accounts, but more about a) seeing the links and subaccs (like I mentioned) and b) each person not having 10 million characters, which downgrades RP quality.
Drakkim wrote:Interesting! Can you supply a link to it? I'd like to see what features they have...
I''m on too many boards and don't remember if posting outside links here is kosher or not, so I'll message you the link. ^_^"

nudelchen

Post by nudelchen » Sat May 12, 2012 6:17 pm

Hello.

I was wondering if there is a way to already use this:
4/9/11 Version 0.7.4
[Feature] Added code for checking PMs from linked accounts (not in template yet)

With kind regards
Nudelchen

Drakkim

Post by Drakkim » Sat May 12, 2012 9:41 pm

Yes it is, however I don't have access to any of my resources at the moment. On that note, I want to apologize to everyone else that I've not had time to use work any on this. Work, school and family health have pretty much monopolized my time over the last couple months.

As soon as I have time to dig back in, I'll get that feature polished up and more usable... along with the other stuff I've promised recently... I haven't forgotten everyone, I'm just REALLY busy.

YHETeam

Post by YHETeam » Tue May 29, 2012 1:32 am

HELP! okay so im new to PHPBB i was an invision/jcink junkie but wanted to move my community to a more stable base, that being said i TRIED to install this MOD and when someone links an account the MOMENT they leave the page it reverts back to their MASTER account. The mod is showing up in admin and on the board but i am also getting this error:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/language/en/mods/account_link.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/language/en/mods/account_link.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/language/en/mods/account_link.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/language/en/mods/account_link.php:1)

any ideas what i did wrong?

YHETeam

Post by YHETeam » Tue May 29, 2012 2:30 am

and i read the back pages but my FTP server has its own built in settings I dont think i can change anything :(

Frug

Post by Frug » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:49 pm

YHETeam wrote:HELP! okay so im new to PHPBB i was an invision/jcink junkie but wanted to move my community to a more stable base, that being said i TRIED to install this MOD and when someone links an account the MOMENT they leave the page it reverts back to their MASTER account. The mod is showing up in admin and on the board but i am also getting this error:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/language/en/mods/account_link.php:1)

any ideas what i did wrong?
If you have touched any phpbb files at all using notepad, wordpad, or any other typical microsoft text editor, that will cause this error. Open your includes/functions.php file and look around lines 4670-4672 and see what's there. It's probably the lines where you added this mod with a require_once statement. It's telling you that the files being included have either a space at the top of the file before the opening <?php or that they have a byte order mark.

Download notepad ++ http://notepad-plus-plus.org/ and open the offending file with it (probably includes/functions_account_link.php). Then go to Encoding > convert to utf-8 without BOM and save. Re-upload the file. Also make sure the first thing in the file is <?php
Do this for any files that you can trace the error to. Basically all the files in this mod.

When I installed this mod I had the same problem with one of the language files. Just make sure all of the files in this mod are ok.

Unless it's something in another mod you've done. You need to find it. :]
- - - - - - - - - - - Do not use dotted lines - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - or automatic signatures - - - - - - - - - -
Thar Shaddin - online freeform roleplaying for writers

Drakkim

Post by Drakkim » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:45 am

The problem is actually in the file "[ROOT]/language/en/mods/account_link.php" I somehow managed to save it in the wrong format.

Frug had exactly the right info for the problem:
Frug wrote:Download notepad ++ http://notepad-plus-plus.org/ and open the offending file with it (probably includes/functions_account_link.php). Then go to Encoding > convert to utf-8 without BOM and save. Re-upload the file.
This is already fixed in my code, but I've not had time to look at it and get any bugs out of my development copy... IIRC I was right in the middle of something that broke stuff. I'll get a new version out soon, I hope! sorry for the many delays.

Drakkim

Post by Drakkim » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:55 am

Just to update everyone, I haven't forgotten about this mod or the requests (and promises!) made. I've just been very busy. I'm currently in the process of going through the changes I've made across two computers and two sites with different requests on them, wondering WHAT I was thinking not committing those changes as I made them. Long story short, I'll should be getting you all an updated version. I will, however be taking the non English language files out, as they have not been updated in several versions and I don't trust a computer not to get some semantic error that turns out to be insulting to someone...

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”