[DEV] MyTube (like youtube but hosted by you)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Anti-Spam Guide
Ragman

[DEV] MyTube (like youtube but hosted by you)

Post by Ragman »

MOD Title: MyTube
MOD Description: This mod adds a flash player/video gallery page to your forum where users can select from a list of different flv files to view.
MOD Version: None yet

MOD Download: None yet
Last Stable version: None yet

Demo Board: Not available currently
Demo Username: N/A
Demo Password: N/A

Additional:
In order to use this, you will need to have your own video to flv conversion program. I cannot supply this with the mod as the only one i have is a licensed version of a program that i've been using. Not sure if i'm allowed to recommend any so i won't for fear of breaking any forum rules.

Features:
Create your own categories for different video types (i.e. Family, Misc, Vacation, etc, etc).
Allow/Deny access to the custom pages for different users/usergroups.
Admin CP for configuration of the mod.
Allow multiple different media types to be played (ex. mp3, flv, avi, mov, wmv) (this won't happen for a while though)
Allow users to upload files
Added 13/09/07 - MyTube admins will be able to specify which types of media files can be used/uploaded. So if you only want to allow flv files for instance. Then you will be able to disable all other media file types from being used/uploaded.

Note from the author (me):
This is my first attempt at a mod of any sort for phpBB. Yes, it's not the easiest of things to attempt for a first time modder. However, as of this moment in time, i currently do have an early base model working on my own test forum. As of this point in time, it's able to play flv files that are selected from a list in one working directory.
It works for both ProSilver and SubSilver2 styles aswell. So should be easy to incorporate into any other forum styles that you might end up using on your forums.
Once i have things to the point where it's actually useful, then i will release a stable version.
Please be patient. I'm new to the modding world. ;)
Last edited by Ragman on Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:31 am, edited 7 times in total.
kix_mc3

Re: [DEV] phpbb3 tube mod (like youtube but hosted by you)

Post by kix_mc3 »

Good One, can´t wait :D...
playerfr

Post by playerfr »

Thanks :D alot but why limiting to only flv ? you can add othere video embeding it will be more powerfull like this ;)

All kind of help for your Forums / Sites. Installing for you the forum, the Mods, creating Custom Mods : for small fee http://www.phpbbhelpers.com
Ragman

Post by Ragman »

playerfr wrote:Thanks :D alot but why limiting to only flv ? you can add othere video embeding it will be more powerfull like this ;)

Well, while this is true, for now i'm only doing FLV files because as i stated in my OP, this is my first ever mod.
Eventually i'm sure i'll probably incorporate other media types...

mp3, wmv, avi, rm, mov for starters.
playerfr

Post by playerfr »

Thx :)
All kind of help for your Forums / Sites. Installing for you the forum, the Mods, creating Custom Mods : for small fee http://www.phpbbhelpers.com
Gleasonator

Post by Gleasonator »

That is AWESOME! :o This is exactly what I need!

Good luck, man. Thanks alot for developing this.
Sorry for my bad Engrish !
gleason|design

Ragman

Post by Ragman »

Gleasonator wrote:That is AWESOME! :o This is exactly what I need!

Good luck, man. Thanks alot for developing this.
Glad to see people think it's worthwhile ;)

For me, it was a no brainer. I love youtube, but refuse to put any videos of my family on there.
So i thought "why not make your own "tube" site?"

Well, my family and friends all stay in touch via my forums, since we all scattered to various ends of the earth.
And while i was creating a website for "my tube", i decided that it'd be really cool to have it as an option within phpbb3 so everyone would be able to access it that was able to log on to the forum.
Since only my friends and family are registered users, and forum registration is disabled. I knew it was pretty much safe enough there.
So i began work on this mod. As i got it working, i thought of more things to do for it.

Update to the mod:
Just added a better flash player to work with it, so that now, you can click on a control in the flash player and it will throw it to full screen view, with the player controls still at the bottom of the screen.

Currently Working On:
Mod Installation Instructions (to get a basic outline of how to get started)
Setting up different viewable categories. (View All, cat 1, cat 2, etc)

I'll keep you posted with how progress is being made and hopefully i'll have a beta out for testing soon.
playerfr

Post by playerfr »

I am in sam esituation family is all over the planet lolzz for timebein using copernic gallery to shar pics and videos, but i think phpbb will be more flexible and easy to use. So a mod liek this will be very nice :) Is ther any software that i can buy which convert on the fly a video when it is uploaded to the server ? Till you intergrate other format of videos ;)
mngstudio

Post by mngstudio »

Great. I am sure will wait for this mod coming :D

THank you
Last edited by mngstudio on Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ragman

Post by Ragman »

playerfr wrote:I am in sam esituation family is all over the planet lolzz for timebein using copernic gallery to shar pics and videos, but i think phpbb will be more flexible and easy to use. So a mod liek this will be very nice :) Is ther any software that i can buy which convert on the fly a video when it is uploaded to the server ? Till you intergrate other format of videos ;)
There is software to do this, however. Your web host will not allow it to be installed unless you own the web server itself.
The reason being:
server side conversion of videos to flv is extremely cpu intensive.
If you were to do this on a host like godaddy or something, using a shared server. They would shut your account down pretty fast. As they simply won't support that kind of thing.

That's why i convert all my videos on my pc and upload them afterwards.
andrewloh

Post by andrewloh »

encourage !!!! highly appreicated for your work and intention.
fiorefrank

Post by fiorefrank »

nice idea...a really nice one!!!
Ragman

Post by Ragman »

Added demo board link to the original post.

To find the link just go to the board and on the top right side, next to the FAQ, Register, Login links. You'll find the My phpBB Tube link.

There's only one video listed. But you get the idea.
playerfr

Post by playerfr »

Nice :) Will you add thumbnails and categories ?
Ragman

Post by Ragman »

playerfr wrote:Nice :) Will you add thumbnails and categories ?
Eventually yes. Although, thumbnails is doubtful. That would probably require a flash player custom coded like youtube's. Not something i plan on or intend on doing.

If someone out there wants to code up a player that will do the same as youtube's, then by all means, get it coded and i'll be happy to include it in this mod. As long as there's an easy way to get the thumbnails to work.

However, what i may do for now is possibly figure out a way for the drop down selection to include a small thumbnail image of each video alongside the text. Not sure if this will make it into a release, depends on what i can get working and how much time i have spare.

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”