[Tutorial] How to use phpMyAdmin

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Anti-Spam Guide
User avatar
dlt123
Registered User
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:46 am
Contact:

Re: [Tutorial] How to use phpMyAdmin

Post by dlt123 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:06 am

Hello, this looks like a nice tutorial and thanks for posting it... I have a quick question.

I was told by a Technical Support Rep at my Web Hosting company that phpMyAdmin will not work with MSsql. My host has my SQL Db setup for MSsql and not MySql.

I thought MySql was a clone of MSsql and it seems logical that phpMyAdmin should work, but I am cautious to use it on my DB.

Was my TS Rep right or does he not know what he's talking about?

Thanks in advance for your help and tutorial.
Dennis
Belief has no effect on Reality
Image

User avatar
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member
Posts: 34457
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Where the Rivers Run
Contact:

Re: [Tutorial] How to use phpMyAdmin

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:33 pm

dlt123 wrote: Was my TS Rep right or does he not know what he's talking about?
He or she is correct. Microsoft provides a similar tool for MSSQL, I believe.

I have split some posts into a new topic: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 0&t=702475
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish

User avatar
dlt123
Registered User
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:46 am
Contact:

Re: [Tutorial] How to use phpMyAdmin

Post by dlt123 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:55 pm

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:
dlt123 wrote: Was my TS Rep right or does he not know what he's talking about?
He or she is correct. Microsoft provides a similar tool for MSSQL, I believe.

I have split some posts into a new topic: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 0&t=702475
A lot of MODS call for the use of phpMyAdmin. Since I haven't ever installed a MOD, how do I install one? Can I use the MSSQL tool to install MODS from here?

Does anyone know where to get the MSSQL tool?

Thanks,
Dennis
Belief has no effect on Reality
Image

User avatar
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations
Posts: 10933
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:02 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: [Tutorial] How to use phpMyAdmin

Post by battye » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:53 am

dlt123 wrote:
A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:
dlt123 wrote: Was my TS Rep right or does he not know what he's talking about?
He or she is correct. Microsoft provides a similar tool for MSSQL, I believe.

I have split some posts into a new topic: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 0&t=702475
A lot of MODS call for the use of phpMyAdmin. Since I haven't ever installed a MOD, how do I install one? Can I use the MSSQL tool to install MODS from here?

Does anyone know where to get the MSSQL tool?

Thanks,
Dennis
http://sqlgate.com/ maybe? I'm not sure, do some google searches for "MSSQL database tools".
Customisations Team Member

User avatar
dlt123
Registered User
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:46 am
Contact:

Re: [Tutorial] How to use phpMyAdmin

Post by dlt123 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:31 am

battye wrote:
dlt123 wrote:
A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:
dlt123 wrote: Was my TS Rep right or does he not know what he's talking about?
He or she is correct. Microsoft provides a similar tool for MSSQL, I believe.

I have split some posts into a new topic: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 0&t=702475
A lot of MODS call for the use of phpMyAdmin. Since I haven't ever installed a MOD, how do I install one? Can I use the MSSQL tool to install MODS from here?

Does anyone know where to get the MSSQL tool?

Thanks,
Dennis
http://sqlgate.com/ maybe? I'm not sure, do some google searches for "MSSQL database tools".
Thank you, I just started a thread asking about MSSql tools just before finding your post. I'll do some research.

Dennis
Belief has no effect on Reality
Image

User avatar
dlt123
Registered User
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:46 am
Contact:

Re: [Tutorial] How to use phpMyAdmin

Post by dlt123 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:40 am

Well, I did some searching and found a Freeware program... It looks pretty nice and I am still trying to learn it, but here is a link to it if anyone is interested in getting a MSSql tool for their SQL DB...

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/emsmssqllite.html

It's called SQL Manager 2008 and it is a lite version, and free. I've been able to log into my SQL DB, load the script I want to run, but have not figured out how to run the script from inside the program...

Hope this helps others.
Dennis
Belief has no effect on Reality
Image

trobinson97
Registered User
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:06 pm
Contact:

Re: [Tutorial] How to use phpMyAdmin

Post by trobinson97 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:27 pm

Thanks for the tut. Bookmarking this.
Following rules and regulations is cool! ;)

Raul Duke
Registered User
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:03 am

Re: [Tutorial] How to use phpMyAdmin

Post by Raul Duke » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:36 am

Ah, been looking for something like this. Thanks :)
I got into forum administration for the ladies.

alguan2
Registered User
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:54 pm

Re: [Tutorial] How to use phpMyAdmin

Post by alguan2 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Muchas gracias esto me sirvio mucho gracias :D

User avatar
Sr X
Registered User
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:25 am

Re: [Tutorial] How to use phpMyAdmin

Post by Sr X » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:37 pm

is necessary or useful optimize or repair ever all sql tables of phpbb?

User avatar
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations
Posts: 10933
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:02 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: [Tutorial] How to use phpMyAdmin

Post by battye » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:47 am

Sr X wrote:is necessary or useful optimize or repair ever all sql tables of phpbb?
Occasionally there may be a need to repair some tables. Sometimes you need to repair the sessions table in phpBB2 for instance. I see no reason why you shouldn't optimise every so often, but to be honest I can't remember the last time I did.
Customisations Team Member

jimcarrel
Registered User
Posts: 671
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:49 pm
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Re: [Tutorial] How to use phpMyAdmin

Post by jimcarrel » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:49 pm

I've often wondered what "optimize" did exactly. Could anyone explain that, please?
Grace--Getting what I don't deserve
Mercy--Not getting what I do deserve

User avatar
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member
Posts: 34457
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Where the Rivers Run
Contact:

Re: [Tutorial] How to use phpMyAdmin

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:25 pm

Optimize essentially cleans up data that was once associated with a deleted row.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish

Big Clucker
Registered User
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:05 pm

Re: [Tutorial] How to use phpMyAdmin

Post by Big Clucker » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:49 pm

I suppose it was inevitable that someone would post with an error - and it's me:
Error

SQL query:

INSERT INTO phpbb_config( config_name, config_value, is_dynamic )
VALUES (
'enable_abquestion', '0', '0'
);

MySQL said: Documentation
#1054 - Unknown column 'is_dynamic' in 'field list'
Questions:

1. What does it mean? How do I correct it?

2. If I want to remove the whole thing I just put in there by pressing "go" - how do I do it?

Thanks people :)

User avatar
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations
Posts: 10933
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:02 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: [Tutorial] How to use phpMyAdmin

Post by battye » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:08 pm

Are you using phpBB2 or phpBB3?
Customisations Team Member

Locked

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”