MOD Description: Allows users with 'posting' permission in a forum to rate topics (from 0-5) in that forum. A member can rate only once and cannot change the rating he gives. The ratings for each topic are shown in the viewforum, viewtopic pages, search results (only for topics) and mcp_forum page.
MOD version: 0.2.2 (12 Nov '07)
phpBB version: 3.0 (Tested with 3.0 RC7)
Features: (lots of new features added in 0.2)
- Only registered users with 'posting' permission in that forum may rate topics in that forum.
- Users may rate a topic only once.
- Users cannot rate a locked topic.
- A User cannot rate a topic that was started by him. (Thats the purpose of ratings, it has to be rated by others!)
- Ratings for topics now shown on viewforum, viewtopic pages, search results (only for topics) and mcp_forum page.
- Complete moderation control over ratings. Moderation options include locking ratings, unlocking ratings and resetting ratings. (like lock/unlock topics) ... Moderators who can lock topics can lock ratings and moderators who can delete topics can reset ratings, as the permissions are analogous. Plus appropriate logging. Moderation options available as Quick-mod and in MCP.
- Topics shown on viewforum page can be sorted by ratings.
- Search results can be sorted by topic ratings. This is only if you choose to display results as topics. If you choose results as posts, it instead causes a search ordered by post time and shows results as posts.
- 'View top rated topics' as a pre-defined search on index page.
- Now added automatic redirect after submission of ratings.
Mod format: MODx
About current version: This version includes star icons from idiotnesia. More importantly I've fixed some typos in the install.xml as reported. This is a quite stable version. No changes have been made to the code since 0.2... In future I'll need to do a bit of clean up the code and install.xml so that it meets phpBB's coding guidelines before sending it for validation. Otherwise its all done!
(Those who are updating from 0.2 need to simply correct the typo in install instructions for the file styles/prosilver/template/viewforum_body.html.)
Additional author notes: This MOD creates a new table in the database for storing information about the topics a user has rated, in addition to modifying the topics table.
Number of queries made: For viewforum page, search results, mcp_forum page - No additional queries,
For viewtopic page - 1 additional query,
For submitting rating - total 4 queries in addition to the basic ones used by phpBB3.
Planned for future betas: (all implemented in latest dev version yet to be posted)
- Ability to change own ratings and rate own topics according to permissions... In addition permission to see ratings, and moderation permissions for locking and resetting ratings, but thats very far.
- User can select the type of rating icon ... disc or star.
- ACP configurable option to make topics with ratings above certain threshold after certain number of rating votes as sticky for a configurable period of time.
- Topic rating statistics shown in viewtopic (hidden by default) ... similar to poll about how many of 5s, 4s, 3s ... a topic has got as rating votes.
Visit the following forum and see the viewforum and viewtopic pages for the topmost forum. As a guest you will not see the ratingbox.
Demo username: test_user
Demo password: test_all
(Please do all the testing in the Testing Board subforum in that forum. Since a user cannot rate a topic that was started by him and a user can rate a topic only once, you may rate the demo topics started by me in that board. If the test_user (someone else) has already rated then you cannot vote again, I cannot do anything.. Its an essential part of the MOD. However I'll be periodically resetting the ratings so that you as a test_user can again rate those.)
This version does not contain update instructions from previous version. Those who had installed this MOD earlier, can manually compare and update. I'm sorry for this.
I'll be glad to receive your suggestions about this MOD (reply in this topic). However no new features or versions for the next three weeks as I'm busy. (I could have called this to be of RC caliber as its quite stable! )
MOD Download: Download MOD Ratings for topics 0.2.2
This is my first MOD for phpBB. I hope you like it.