[MODDB] Smartfeed for phpBB 3

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Ideas Centre
MarkDHamill

Re: [RC5] Smartfeed for phpBB 3

Post by MarkDHamill »

That suggests you missed a step somewhere. Make sure all the mods to acp_board.php and board.php were applied.

Yesterday, someone pointed out an error in the smartfeed.xml instructions file that showed two sets of finds. I corrected the instructions and repackaged the archive.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Covers through phpBB 3.3.7. eBook and paper versions available.
qtranvu

Post by qtranvu »

MarkDHamill wrote:That suggests you missed a step somewhere. Make sure all the mods to acp_board.php and board.php were applied.

Yesterday, someone pointed out an error in the smartfeed.xml instructions file that showed two sets of finds. I corrected the instructions and repackaged the archive.

yes, I checked all the files a few times and made sure that I applied the required changes. Is there anything else that I should check ? Do you want me to upload the code of any files so that you can examine ?
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Are you using version 3.0 Gold or 3.0.1? I did not specifically test it on 3.0, but I installed it twice on clean installations of phpBB 3.0.1.

You might try purging your cache and then see if the module is suddenly found.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Covers through phpBB 3.3.7. eBook and paper versions available.
qtranvu

Post by qtranvu »

MarkDHamill wrote:Are you using version 3.0 Gold or 3.0.1? I did not specifically test it on 3.0, but I installed it twice on clean installations of phpBB 3.0.1.

You might try purging your cache and then see if the module is suddenly found.
Hi, Thank you for responding to my question so quickly. I am using 3.0.1. Since yesterday, I checked all the files that need to be edited a few times, and I am very confident that I applied all the required changes.

I feel that I follow the mod instruction 100% and did all the necessary file modification and sql things.

I install your smart feed mod at: http://tranphu.com/51/smartfeed_url.php

It seems like everything is working fine except the module for admin. I still cannot find the smart feed module, even when I tried to refresh all the templates, purged all the caches a few times, log into ftp and deleted all the files in cache folders.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

I see your board is not in English. Is your ACP translation not in English also? It may be the ACP language file needs to be copied into the language file you are using. These are the ACP language files:

Code: Select all

# language/en/acp/board.php,
# language/en/acp/common.php,
If you are using French for example (and I am not sure there is a French ACP interface) the files would go into:

# language/fr/acp/board.php,
# language/fr/acp/common.php,
(Presumably you would write a French translation.

BTW, if you DO get it installed and have the time to write a version for your language, I can add it as a contribution.
Last edited by MarkDHamill on Thu May 29, 2008 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Duplicate post.
MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA »

I was also unable to get the "Choose module mode = Smartfeed settings" to show so I just stuck it under "Board features".

Also I hate to bring this up again but I am still having the similar issue with these undefined things, I double checked everything and am sure I have included everything in my upgrade and removed all the old code (index page):

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3646: Undefined index: SMARTFEED_SHORT_EXPLAIN
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3663: Undefined index: SMARTFEED_TIME_LIMIT_UNREGISTERED
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3664: Undefined index: SMARTFEED_SORT_BY_VALUES
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3665: Undefined index: SMARTFEED_FEED_STYLE_VALUES
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3666: Undefined index: SMARTFEED_MAX_WORDS_WANTED
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3669: Undefined index: SMARTFEED_TIME_LIMIT_UNREGISTERED
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3670: Undefined index: SMARTFEED_SORT_BY_VALUES
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3671: Undefined index: SMARTFEED_FEED_STYLE_VALUES
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3672: Undefined index: SMARTFEED_MAX_WORDS_WANTED
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3731: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2982)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3733: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2982)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3734: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2982)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3735: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2982)
Smartfeed page:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3666: Undefined index: SMARTFEED_MAX_WORDS_WANTED
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3672: Undefined index: SMARTFEED_MAX_WORDS_WANTED
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3731: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2982)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3733: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2982)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3734: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2982)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3735: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2982)

I tested it though and it seems to be working great, just these errors that is all.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

As I mentioned in the release notes, the phpBB Mod Team says I don't have to filter out notices because common.php should already be doing this. So I removed this logic.

From common.php:

// Report all errors, except notices
error_reporting(E_ALL ^ E_NOTICE);
So my question for you is why you are seeing notices at all. Did you change common.php? Or do you have some sort of PHP configuration that says report notices and ignore error_reporting statements?
MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA »

OK, I have that in my common.php it is located at the top. I am on Bluehost, is there some setting I can change on the server or is this a setting within the ACP for phpBB?
-=ET=-

Post by -=ET=- »

MarkDHamill wrote:So my question for you is why you are seeing notices at all. Did you change common.php?
IMO that's not the question.
Notices reveal issues. So they must be fixed.

I've not seen the PM you've received from the phpBB group but I'm quite sure they said you must not manage (hide) php errors and notices at MOD level. phpBB does it for the board, so including for your MOD when installed. But (!), it doesn't prevent you from delivering a MOD free of issues, including php notices.

Don't confuse the fact that admins may want to hide notices to users on a live board as they are minor issues, possibly using this kind of MOD to continue debuging their board in parallel...
http://www.phpbb.com/mods/db/index.php? ... ib_id=3172
...and the work of a developer that must deliver products free of issues (even minor such as php notices).

I'm quite sure a MOD submitted with php notices will be denied :)
Eternal newbie
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Paul was the guy on the Mod Team that reviewed Smartfeed 2.0.4. He gave no guidance saying that I should fix notices in the mod.

Nonetheless, I will try to turn off notices in my development instance to see if I can replicate what others are seeing and fix them if I can.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

MKULTRA wrote:OK, I have that in my common.php it is located at the top. I am on Bluehost, is there some setting I can change on the server or is this a setting within the ACP for phpBB?
You may find this article of help:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/errorfunc. ... lay-errors

In the ACP on the System Tab, there is a PHP Information link that will show you your settings. On mine display_errors is off, so I would have to use ini_set() to see them.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

To remove this notice:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3492: Undefined index: SMARTFEED_MAX_WORDS_WANTED
Use phpMyAdmin or equivalent tool to edit the config_value of sf_public_feed_url_suffix_atom and sf_public_feed_url_suffix_rss. Remove "&max_word_size=%s" from the config_value, leaving the rest unchanged and update the rows.

Then change /includes/function.php starting at line 3487 as follows:

// BEGIN Smartfeed 2.0 Modification
		'U_ATOM_PARAMETERS'			=> sprintf($config['sf_public_feed_url_suffix_atom'], 
			rawurlencode($user->lang['SMARTFEED_TIME_LIMIT_UNREGISTERED']['SMARTFEED_LAST_DAY_VALUE']),
			rawurlencode($user->lang['SMARTFEED_SORT_BY_VALUES']['STANDARD']),
			rawurlencode($user->lang['SMARTFEED_FEED_STYLE_VALUES']['HTML'])),
		'U_FEED'				=> append_sid("{$phpbb_root_path}smartfeed_url.$phpEx"),
		'U_RSS_PARAMETERS'			=> sprintf($config['sf_public_feed_url_suffix_rss'], 
			rawurlencode($user->lang['SMARTFEED_TIME_LIMIT_UNREGISTERED']['SMARTFEED_LAST_DAY_VALUE']),
			rawurlencode($user->lang['SMARTFEED_SORT_BY_VALUES']['STANDARD']),
			rawurlencode($user->lang['SMARTFEED_FEED_STYLE_VALUES']['HTML'])),
		'U_FEED_URL'					=> "{$phpbb_root_path}smartfeed.$phpEx",
		// END Smartfeed 2.0 Modification
Save and purge the cache.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

MKULTRA wrote:I was also unable to get the "Choose module mode = Smartfeed settings" to show so I just stuck it under "Board features".

Also I hate to bring this up again but I am still having the similar issue with these undefined things, I double checked everything and am sure I have included everything in my upgrade and removed all the old code (index page):

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3646: Undefined index: SMARTFEED_SHORT_EXPLAIN
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3663: Undefined index: SMARTFEED_TIME_LIMIT_UNREGISTERED
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3664: Undefined index: SMARTFEED_SORT_BY_VALUES
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3665: Undefined index: SMARTFEED_FEED_STYLE_VALUES
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3669: Undefined index: SMARTFEED_TIME_LIMIT_UNREGISTERED
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3670: Undefined index: SMARTFEED_SORT_BY_VALUES
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3671: Undefined index: SMARTFEED_FEED_STYLE_VALUES
Smartfeed page:

I tested it though and it seems to be working great, just these errors that is all.
With the exception of SMARTFEED_MAX_WORDS_WANTED the rest of these errors are probably a result of the include file not being found. Double check that this statement was inserted into /includes/functions.php around line 3326, as documented in smartfeed.xml in the first file change:

// BEGIN Smartfeed 2.0 Modification
	include($phpbb_root_path . 'language/' . $config['default_lang'] . '/mods/smartfeed.' . $phpEx);
	// END Smartfeed 2.0 Modification
Also make sure the language file physically exists in the /language/en/mods directory and has read permissions set.
MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA »

MarkDHamill wrote:
MKULTRA wrote:OK, I have that in my common.php it is located at the top. I am on Bluehost, is there some setting I can change on the server or is this a setting within the ACP for phpBB?
You may find this article of help:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/errorfunc. ... lay-errors

In the ACP on the System Tab, there is a PHP Information link that will show you your settings. On mine display_errors is off, so I would have to use ini_set() to see them.
That could be it then, I just checked and mine is set to On.

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”