[MODDB] Smartfeed for phpBB 3

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Get Involved
MarkDHamill

Re: [DEV] Smartfeed for phpBB 3

Post by MarkDHamill » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:02 pm

It is possible, but the question is how fancy to get for the initial version for phpBB 3. I will probably want to keep it as simple as possible.
Get the latest versions of my Digests and Smartfeed extensions.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services.

Sr X

Post by Sr X » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:10 pm

i undestand you, thanks Mark

scott_thewspot

Post by scott_thewspot » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:10 am

Sr X wrote:is possible add a "RSS Autodiscovery" and "view who read RSS feed online from viewonline"?

is possible that when any user generate the rss url, then show any newsreaders buttons too where the user can subscribe that rss url?

thanks.
Instructions on how to do those are already available in the phpbb2 version of Smartfeed and doing it for v3 is just as easy even if they aren't a native part of the mod.

First though we need to get a working version of the feed :)
Forcing phpBB to submit on Microsoft platforms since 2005
Windows Server 2012R2, IIS8.5, MSSQL2012

scott_thewspot

Post by scott_thewspot » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:22 am

MarkDHamill wrote:Scott, thanks for finding these bugs. It's hard to think of every test case. Yeah, it may be simpler to reduce the logic but that in itself adds complications. For example, if Subsubcategory is checked and the 2 forums under it are not, then I need to build logic in smartfeed.php to figure out its descendants and fetch those forums. So I pay the price somewhere either in the user interface or at the time the feed is generated.
That's why I was saying that "categories" don't have selection boxes. That way, they simply act as entries in the tree display, but it's the selection of the forums under it that matter. I'm playing around with working out some of the various linkages between forums etc as well. If I stumble across any logic that makes sense I'll let you know and see if it helps you as well.

From a quick glance, phpbb_forums.forum_type simply has Categories=0, Forums=1, Links=2. So if you just have selection boxed beside anything where forum_type=1 it should be fine. Categories are just displayed as part of the tree with no selection, and links are excluded.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:40 pm

scott_thewspot wrote:
Sr X wrote:is possible add a "RSS Autodiscovery" and "view who read RSS feed online from viewonline"?

is possible that when any user generate the rss url, then show any newsreaders buttons too where the user can subscribe that rss url?

thanks.
Instructions on how to do those are already available in the phpbb2 version of Smartfeed and doing it for v3 is just as easy even if they aren't a native part of the mod.
I will probably automate this in the phpBB 3 version via a configuration variable.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:01 pm

scott_thewspot wrote:
MarkDHamill wrote:Scott, thanks for finding these bugs. It's hard to think of every test case. Yeah, it may be simpler to reduce the logic but that in itself adds complications. For example, if Subsubcategory is checked and the 2 forums under it are not, then I need to build logic in smartfeed.php to figure out its descendants and fetch those forums. So I pay the price somewhere either in the user interface or at the time the feed is generated.
That's why I was saying that "categories" don't have selection boxes. That way, they simply act as entries in the tree display, but it's the selection of the forums under it that matter. I'm playing around with working out some of the various linkages between forums etc as well. If I stumble across any logic that makes sense I'll let you know and see if it helps you as well.

From a quick glance, phpbb_forums.forum_type simply has Categories=0, Forums=1, Links=2. So if you just have selection boxed beside anything where forum_type=1 it should be fine. Categories are just displayed as part of the tree with no selection, and links are excluded.
Scott, I implemented your suggestion. You're right, this is easier. It also got rid of a whole lot of Javascript that while impressive and showed my Javascript mojo didn't add much value. It seemed cool at the time though.

I haven't had much time to work on Smartfeed, since I had some paying work ahead of it. But the user interface should be reasonably locked down now thanks to the input from you and others.

scott_thewspot

Post by scott_thewspot » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:41 am

MarkDHamill wrote:Scott, I implemented your suggestion. You're right, this is easier. It also got rid of a whole lot of Javascript that while impressive and showed my Javascript mojo didn't add much value. It seemed cool at the time though.
You'll be pleased to know I found another bug that means you might still get to have some of the jscript after all :)

If you have all forums selected and generate the URL, there is no "forums=" variable which I assume will mean "all forums". If you untick a forum, the "All Forums" box is still ticked and the url generated still has no "forums=" variable. I would assume then that you would still end up with all forums regardless of unticking some of them.
If you untick the "All Forums", then tick the forums you want, you get the multiple "forums=" variables on the url (maybe a single comma delimited instead of multiple entries?)
Also, if you untick "All Forums", then go and tick them all manually again, the url just has a "forums=" variable for each forum rather than recognising them all being ticked and auto-ticking the "All forums".

So, the logic I'm thinking of would something like:
if "all ticked" then "All Forums"=ticked
if not "all ticked" then "All Forums"=unticked
And of course the action being performed directly on the All forums" box would continue behave as it currently does.

Was it all this complicated with the phpbb v2 version?

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:54 pm

Scott,

Thanks for pointing this out. I inadvertently removed this code when I removed the hierarchy checking and unchecking logic. I should have been more careful. Anyhow, it is fixed and should behave the way it did in the phpBB 2 version.

I have no problem with adding lots of &forum=x statements as parameters in the URL. Generally URL length is not a problem unless you have a very old web server. It might be cleaner to do it as one parameter. The absence of a forum=x parameter, as you assumed, means that all forums for which you are allowed to read are selected. This is good because forums are added and deleted and this keeps things flexible.

However, it is not a big deal to collapse all the forums into one field separated by commas. I will look into it. I just have to change both sides since I already implemented the logic that parses the forum parameters on the other side.

Andromeda16

Post by Andromeda16 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:13 pm

Not to rush you or anything, I am just curious of how complete this MOD is and a possible time table for completion. I had this installed on my old phpbb2 forums before my server completely fried and I absolutely loved the customization it offered. I am anxiously awaiting completion so I can get this bad boy installed on phpbb3.

scott_thewspot

Post by scott_thewspot » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:03 pm

Mark has mentioned several times that he doesn't expect a released version until some time after the "Gold" release of phpbb v3. The idea of having to build a mod based on a possibly changing forum code base didn't really appeal given Mark probably has little time to work on it as it is now.

So Smartfeed is already in early stages of development, possibly due to the prompting of some more eager fans ;) but I expect it may still be some time yet.

However, given the gold release of phpbb v3 is now out, the timer has started and the pressure is on :lol:

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:20 pm

If I had to guess I am 30% of the way to having a release that can be beta tested. If I had to give a timeframe, I'd say two months. It just depends on how much time I have to devote to it and what else is going on. Right now is tough, with the holidays but I also have 4 paying customers. I tend to work on this stuff when work dries up.

MS FRANKY

Post by MS FRANKY » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:47 pm

Ok i am enjoy to frist releas

releone

Post by releone » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:16 am

I'll be waiting for your beta release :-)

Mr_Shark

Post by Mr_Shark » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:55 am

I am also wating for you release, I can not upgrade my forum until it supports CSS
Thans for a good work!

sarangan

Post by sarangan » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:11 pm

Thanks for this mod. I am waiting for it. :D

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”