[MODDB] Smartfeed for phpBB 3

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
MarkDHamill

Version 2.1.0 ready for download

Post by MarkDHamill »

Whew! I took last week off and spent much of it updating Smartfeed. The result is I hope a much improved version to which -=ET=- definitely also deserves credit. -=ET=- created a more usable and style compliant version of the prosilver template of the Smartfeed user interface. He also created a Admin user interface. All I had to do was puzzle through his logic and change things as I thought needed. It involved quite a bit of work. In addition I closed a lot of bugs, both from a review by the phpBB Mod Team (which rejected it, of course) and reported here.

A few important notes:

- NO subsilver2 support with this release!! It will be reintroduced in time.
- Lots of people were complaining about PHP Notices that appeared and I went through some trouble to keep these from appearing. However the phpBB Mod Team said they were not necessary because common.php already adds the logic to ignore PHP notices. So I removed the error_reporting logic. So to those of you who complained, not sure what to say. common.php is definitely being called by Smartfeed. Maybe you have some PHP configuration that always shows notices?
- For those of you wanting to upgrade from 2.0.4, note the additional SQL statements that needs to be entered, but you can ignore the first one to create the user_smartfeed_key, which already exists. If you try to run it again of course that script will fail. Unfortunately you will have to redo most of the file edits, because /includes/constants_smartfeed.php has been removed and $config variables are used instead. You do not have to change help_faq.php.
- There are a number of new DIY Instructions, so make sure to follow all of them. You have to add a module and purge your variables, in addition to refreshing templates, imagesets and themes.

Download Here

Change notices:

* User interface redesigned. Thanks to -=ET=- for showing me how and providing a draft to edit.
* New Administrator Control Panel interface. Thanks to -=ET=- for showing me how and providing a draft to edit. You will find it on the General tab, under Board Configuration.
* Post retrieve time limits can be unlimited, although the Administrator may restrict the maximum time back from the present that posts can be retrieved.
* New Topics Only functionality has changed. New topics appear automatically for the given date range anyhow. Instead, use First posts of topics only.
* The administrator can set whether all forums are checked by default in the user interface.
* Maximum number of posts in the feed option can be specified by the user.
* Feed tests appear in new browser window.
* URL is blanked any time a change is made to a field in the user interface.
* Count limit functionality removed. Previously this appeared on when sort by post time descending was selected.
* No subsilver2 user interface this time around. It will probably be in next version.
* Masking to remove PHP notices removed. According to phpBB Mod Team, this is in common.php anyhow, so it is redundant.
* The file /includes/constants_smartfeed.php is no longer needed. All values are stored in the phpbb_config table.
* Addressed bugs by a review of the phpBB Mod Team.
* Addressed bugs reported in the phpBB development topic.

This is NOT going to the phpBB Mod Team so I definitely need you to help find any additional bugs before I resubmit it again. Too much change has been introduced in this version not to give it a thorough testing from a larger community.
Get the latest versions of my Digests and Smartfeed extensions.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services.

wookiewarrior

Re: [RC5] Smartfeed for phpBB 3

Post by wookiewarrior »

It looks like there may be an error in the installation instructions. This line is listed twice and it doesn't exist in acp_board.php.
'JAB_USERNAME_EXPLAIN' => 'Specify a registered username. The username will not be checked for validity.',

wookiewarrior

Post by wookiewarrior »

Okay.. I finally got it installed. Now I'm seeing an error when I go to display the feed. This happens with both IE7 and Firefox.
Invalid xml declaration.
Line: 2 Character: 3

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

wookiewarrior wrote:It looks like there may be an error in the installation instructions. This line is listed twice and it doesn't exist in acp_board.php.
'JAB_USERNAME_EXPLAIN' => 'Specify a registered username. The username will not be checked for validity.',
It's there but if you copy and paste the text, your editor may not find it probably because of line feed translations or something.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

wookiewarrior wrote:Okay.. I finally got it installed. Now I'm seeing an error when I go to display the feed. This happens with both IE7 and Firefox.
Invalid xml declaration.
Line: 2 Character: 3

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
Check includes/feedcreator.class.php. Is every other line of the source code blank? It should not be, but that has been an issue in the past.

Are you using a Windows server by any chance?

In XML documents, the line you quoted MUST be on the first line of the feed. The feedcreator class generates the output so I figure the issue must be there somewhere.

wookiewarrior

Post by wookiewarrior »

MarkDHamill wrote:Are you using a Windows server by any chance?
Nope, I'm running Apache. Looking at the file in question using vi, there are line returns (^M) at the end of each line. Kinda odd since I extracted it on the server and didn't edit it at all.

Another small issue I've run into is that the short description for the Smartfeed link doesn't work right on most pages. It displays fine from smartfeed_url.php (says: Access this forum as a newsfeed) but on other pages it seems to be undefined. When I mouse over, it just says {FEED_EXPLAIN}.

wookiewarrior

Post by wookiewarrior »

Yeah, there are some extra spaces before the xml tag. I downloaded a copy of the class file from sourceforge and that didn't help either.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Something is inserting an additional line feed at the start. I doubt it is the feedcreator class. I suspect it is some sort of web server configuration. Windows servers do a combination of carriage returns and line feeds to delineate an end of line. Unix servers just do line feeds. That makes me suspect it is a Windows integration issue.

wookiewarrior

Post by wookiewarrior »

MarkDHamill wrote:Something is inserting an additional line feed at the start. I doubt it is the feedcreator class. I suspect it is some sort of web server configuration. Windows servers do a combination of carriage returns and line feeds to delineate an end of line. Unix servers just do line feeds. That makes me suspect it is a Windows integration issue.
There was something wrong with my function.php. I went back to an earlier version, readded the mod and it worked fine... at least for custom feeds. If I auto-advertise, it returns an error:
The error is: limit parameter is either not present or is not an allowed value.
Also, do you have any idea why L_FEED_EXPLAIN isn't displaying correctly?

Thanks again for your help and the great mod.

wookiewarrior

Post by wookiewarrior »

One more problem before I hang it up for the night..

In the feed, the dates and times for the posts are set to the current date and time. Has anyone else run into this?

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Did you get the XML thing worked out?

The times should be post times. Lines 985-986 of smartfeed.php:

Code: Select all

$item->date = $row['post_time'];
				$item->pubDate = $item->date;
Try reverting to the version of feedcreator.class.php in the archive. I had to tweak a few things, but I don't think this was one of them.

wookiewarrior

Post by wookiewarrior »

MarkDHamill wrote:Try reverting to the version of feedcreator.class.php in the archive. I had to tweak a few things, but I don't think this was one of them.
Thanks. That did the trick. Yeah, I got the XML thing worked out. The auto-advertise keeps spitting out an error though.

qtranvu

Post by qtranvu »

Hi,

I followed your mod instruction:

You need to refresh the templates, themes and imagesets in the Administrator Control Panel for prosilver to use them.

ACP > Styles Tab > Style Components > Templates > prosilver > Refresh > Yes
ACP > Styles Tab > Style Components > Themes > prosilver > Refresh > Yes
ACP > Styles Tab > Style Components > Image Sets > prosilver > Refresh > Yes

You also need to install a module so that Smartfeed settings can be adjusted in the Administrator Control Panel

ACP > System Tab > Module Management > Administration Control Panel
Type in "Smartfeed settings" and click on the "Create new module" button
Select...
Module type = Module
Parent = General > Board configuration
Can you tell me what module name do I need to select to add it ? I cannot find any available module that has anything to do with smartfeed.

thank you.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

As the instructions say, you give the module a name by typing it into the text field. Call it "Smartfeed settings".

Here are the full set of instructions:

Select...
Module type = Module
Module enabled = Yes
Module displayed = Yes
Choose module = Board management [acp_board]
Choose module mode = Smartfeed settings
...and click on "Submit"

qtranvu

Post by qtranvu »

MarkDHamill wrote:As the instructions say, you give the module a name by typing it into the text field. Call it "Smartfeed settings".

Here are the full set of instructions:

Select...
Module type = Module
Module enabled = Yes
Module displayed = Yes
Choose module = Board management [acp_board]
Choose module mode = Smartfeed settings
...and click on "Submit"

Thank you. I followed everything until the very last step. I choose module = Board management, but cannot find the module mode = smartfeed settings.

I tried everything, reset all the caches, refresh everything, look very carefully but still cannot find the module mode smartfeed settings :((

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”