[MODDB] Smartfeed for phpBB 3

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Anti-Spam Guide
don-vip

Re: [RC5] Smartfeed for phpBB 3

Post by don-vip »

I still have an issue with the ACP module.

I've installed 2.1.1 and this time, modified includes/acp/info/acp_board.php (it was not mentioned in 2.1.0 installation instructions, that's why the module was not in the list...)

So now I've got a module ! :)

But it does nothing.. Just a blank page... Already seen that ? (I've checked includes/acp/acp_board.php, the "case smartfeed:" is here, so...)

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Okay, I will remove subsequent paragraphs.
Get the latest versions of my Digests and Smartfeed extensions.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services.

El-Cherubin

Post by El-Cherubin »

Hi MarkDHamill,

First, excuse my poor english please, i'm a french student who try to learn english :)

I search a mod, which permit to use rss feed, in a forum, and create with this topic.
I explain, i have some sites/blogs, (near 15), and i want offer to my member of my forum, the possibility to see the new articles of my sites/blogs in the forum, but just the information contained in rss feed, so not the complete article, the summary only, and a link to go to read the article on the blog.

One of my friend, say me the smartfeed mod for phpbb2 make this, but i don't understand if the mod for phpbb3 make also this.

So could you help me?.

Thanks, i hope you could understant my post... :oops:

Morgan, french student
Neuron Partners Neurosciences serve Digital Marketing

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Morgan,

I am not sure I completely understand you. Smartfeed for phpBB 3 is 99% feature compatible with Smartfeed for phpBB 2, but with more features since there are more features in phpBB 3.

You can see the interface here:

http://potomactavern.org/phpBB3/smartfeed_url.php

Perhaps if you send a private message to Mickey14, who recently posted in this topic, Mickey14 can explain exactly what this mod can do. Mickey just wrote a French translation for it.

El-Cherubin

Post by El-Cherubin »

Thanks for the answer :)

I think isn't exactly what i search, but to be sure, i will send a mp to Mickey ;)

Thanks a new :)
Neuron Partners Neurosciences serve Digital Marketing

Mickey14

Post by Mickey14 »

I answered your MP, El-Cherubin, I think you are merely looking for a feed aggregator like: lastRSS agregator 2

giraff

Post by giraff »

Hi,
after having used an old version of smartfeed (2.0.0.d) i wanted to install the newest version (2.1.1). This worked so far, but there is one big problem: In my board there are different styles for some sub-boards. When i'm in these sub-boards, not the normal board-specific style is loaded but the default style with the specific style's imageset....Is there a way to get rid of that (execept uninstalling smartfeed or using the default-style everywhere)?
thanks for the help.

giraff

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Giraff,

If I understand you correctly you have more styles than prosilver and subsilver2 and these appear for certain forums.

I did not try that specific test case but I suspect in those cases the new style is applied to that forum, as well as the header and footer.

What this means is that if you want the Smartfeed link to appear for all these other styles you have to create a compatible version of overall_header.html for each, as well as copy down smartfeed_url_body.html into the appropriate templates folder for each style, along with the imagesets. You may also have to make changes to the theme itself.

In my experience most styles for phpBB 3 are based on prosilver, so I would try making the same changes required by prosilver to see if it works for the other styles. If there is no match, maybe it is based on subsilver2 . In that case try the instructions for installing for subsilver2 in the /contrib folder of the archive.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

giraff

Post by giraff »

MarkDHamill wrote:Giraff,

If I understand you correctly you have more styles than prosilver and subsilver2 and these appear for certain forums.
Yes, and the new styles are all based on prosilver, as well as the default style
MarkDHamill wrote: I did not try that specific test case but I suspect in those cases the new style is applied to that forum, as well as the header and footer.
No, it is not (and that is my problem...) the default-style looks like this:

and in a specific forum it should look like this:

but with smartfeed installed it looks like this:

giraff

Post by giraff »

i found the solution. when you do not add the line

Code: Select all

// BEGIN Smartfeed 2.0 Modification
	$user->setup('mods/smartfeed');
	// END Smartfeed 2.0 Modification
to the includes/functions.php it works....is this really required, that these lines are there? because the feed itself seems to work without them too.

Mickey14

Post by Mickey14 »

The feed uses the default theme in all cases...

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

giraff wrote:i found the solution. when you do not add the line

Code: Select all

// BEGIN Smartfeed 2.0 Modification
	$user->setup('mods/smartfeed');
	// END Smartfeed 2.0 Modification
to the includes/functions.php it works....is this really required, that these lines are there? because the feed itself seems to work without them too.
Those lines are used to add the text from the language file as needed in overall_header.html, for example the Smartfeed link but also to add the HTML to the <head> that advertises a public Smartfeed feed.

I don't know if you modified overall_header.html for this other template similar to proSilver, but if you didn't the cause may be related to not doing it for each active theme.

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA »

Upgraded an no more notices showing, everything working great. Outstanding Job! One question though does since the "max_word_size" is not longer used, is that setting still needed to be shown in the template?

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

MKULTRA wrote:Upgraded an no more notices showing, everything working great. Outstanding Job! One question though does since the "max_word_size" is not longer used, is that setting still needed to be shown in the template?
max_word_size is an optional parameter. It is now blank by default, so if omitted it is assumed that post should show all words. It used to be that if max_word_size=All was passed this would work. Now it triggers an error. This was a problem in overall_header.html where to advertise a public feed this was passed. This is why some configuration variables were changed. You can see these in the upgrade script in the archive.

-=ET=- deserves a lot of credit for improving the user interface and showing me how to write an ACP interface. This makes Smartfeed far more usable.

xenador

Post by xenador »

so I tried to upgrade and where it was working perfectly now it is giving me errors...

in the header the image displays fine but the tag shows: { FEED } instead of the appropriate word.

also when I try to test a link out it generates an error.
XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Location: http://www.cltexas.com/smartfeed.php?u= ... style=HTML
Line Number 7, Column 57: <link>http://www.cltexas.com/smartfeed.php?u= ... HTML</link>
--------------------------------------------------------^
additionally down at the bottom of the page just before the footer I see a
Unable to open connection to phpBB Smartfeed site, reported error is:
The operation could not be completed because the fsockopen function has been disabled or the server being queried could not be found.
any ideas what I did wrong? initially I used the contribute upgrade info to upgrade it...but then I ended up going back through and redoing everything when it didnt work...could this be problems with a value stored in the pre-existing database?

using phpBB3 3.0.1 with stargate portal 0.3.1 if that helps ya any...

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”