[MODDB] Smartfeed for phpBB 3

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Anti-Spam Guide
bvrielink

Re: [RC6] Smartfeed for phpBB 3

Post by bvrielink »

We used this module for quite some time now. But last week we switched to LDAP authentication and it seems that this is not supported right now. Does LDAP ever get supported? Maybe a quick fix would be to ask for a name and password instead of encrypting it in the URL?
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

LDAP authentication can only show public forums. This is because there is no way with LDAP to grab even a hash of its password out of the LDAP directory. Instead phpBB calls a function that passes the password and LDAP simply informs phpBB whether or not the password is correct.

If I could get the password, or even its hash, I could then encrypt it.

The only way I know around this would be ask for the person's password on the smartfeed_url.php page if they are using LDAP authentication and encrypt that. That in itself opens up some security issues. I may add this in a future version.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. eBook and paper versions available.
bvrielink

Post by bvrielink »

That sounds like a reasonable workaround.

If you need a beta tester just let me know. My users are dying for RSS functionality. ;)
SagaLore

Post by SagaLore »

I installed smartfeed for phpbb3, and it seems to be working okay so far. I have 1 trivial issue and 1 request.

The mini-feed-icon.gif won't show up. I have verified the CSS and that I can get to the image manually. I have purged my phpbb3 cache, my browser's cache, and even had other people try it. Image just doesn't show up. So any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Also, I would like to modify the URLs that a feed generates. They currently look like this:

http://www.antisource.com/forums/viewto ... 2955#p2955

I want them to show up like this instead:

http://www.antisource.com/forums/viewto ... 446&#p2955

Thanks!
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Try copying the feed icon as BINARY vs. ASCII. That may be the issue.

As for the links issue, it doesn't pertain to Smartfeed, does it?
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. eBook and paper versions available.
SagaLore

Post by SagaLore »

I fixed the image issue, I had to disable styles caching for awhile.

Yes, the URL is a smartfeed issue. The RSS generaged by smartfeed contains links in this format:

/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=446&p=2955#p2955

I want them to look like this:

/forums/viewtopic.php?t=446#p2955
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

You would have to hack smartfeed.php, line 1021. I created URLs based on the syntax I found when accessing the forum.

Code: Select all

$item->link = $board_url . 'viewtopic.' . $phpEx . '?f=' . $row['forum_id'] . '&t=' . $row['topic_id'] . '&p=' . $row['post_id']  . '#p' . $row['post_id'];
mamisano

Post by mamisano »

bvrielink wrote:We used this module for quite some time now. But last week we switched to LDAP authentication and it seems that this is not supported right now. Does LDAP ever get supported? Maybe a quick fix would be to ask for a name and password instead of encrypting it in the URL?
I ran into the same exact problem.
My solution was to switch to Apache authentication.
I then set up the .htaccess file to use LDAP authentication and that fixed all the problems.

Let me know if you need any details on setting it up.

Mark, you may want to add this as a suggestion to people running Apache and needing to use LDAP authentication.

Regards,
Michael
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

I would like details. Does your solution allow for the u and e parameters to get generated?
danhm

Post by danhm »

The RSS feeds work great, but when I got to setup the module, "Smartfeed settings" isn't in my set of choices for module modes.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Most likely you skipped a step in the DIY instructions. Try them again from the top.
danhm

Post by danhm »

Aha! I forgot to upload the edited includes/acp/info/acp_board.php.
RobInk

Post by RobInk »

Hi Mark,

I am trying to setup your mod on our forum (http://forum.joomla.org), on a sandbox at the moment, not the live forum. I was succesful in installing it, ACP seems to work fine, board index and feed link too. But when I am logged in, and create and test an url I get the following error:
An error occurred running phpBB Smartfeed. As a result, no content can be returned. Use this error information as a guide to correcting the problem. Please note that you must use this program to create a URL that can be used with phpBB Smartfeed. The error is: limit parameter is either not present or is not an allowed value.
Looks similar to http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5#p6165655

Any idea what can be the problem?

We are on phpbb 3.0.2. , smartfeeds 2.2.3.

Thanks Robin
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

This is a bug that occurs with public usage. I think the fix was documented a few pages back but line 303 of smartfeed_url_body.html should be:

Code: Select all

url = url + "&limit=" + news_id.post_limit.value;
RobInk

Post by RobInk »

Thanks Mark,

I'll have a look at the file again, I thought I had checked it because I found that fix when I searched for the error message. Will confirm later if I also have that bug or not.

Thanks for the quick response, Robin

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”