[MODDB] Smartfeed for phpBB 3

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
-=ET=-

Re: [DEV] Smartfeed for phpBB 3

Post by -=ET=- » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:46 am

MarkDHamill wrote:With luck I'll have an Alpha to show sometime this weekend, if not probably sometime the following week.
That's really great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks very much :)

FYI, I've tested your link 2 days ago (after your answer to randulo) and it was already working very well!
Eternal newbie

randulo

Post by randulo » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:56 am

-=ET=- wrote:FYI, I've tested your link 2 days ago (after your answer to randulo) and it was already working very well!
Did I hear my name echoing in space? Yes, it looks pretty good!

I would bet that a lot of users want this because they are admin of a board and they need to watch all incoming posts for possible "problems", just like our people do. I love RSS, but for the forum, it's hugely important to be able to scan arriving posts.

I will definitely make a donation when we've installed it and I'll try to get other admins to do the same. Open source or not, I'm a firm believer that we should always pay in something when good work is offered up.

Thanks to all who work on phpBB3, mods, styles, and to those who offer assistance out of the goofdness of their hearts (i.e., free support for something you didn't even write). Amazing, isn't it folks? :)

OT: it takes a long time to build a search index for 110,000 threads folks! Especially when you use codes in the titles and so need to allow common words. In our case, 3,500,000+ word/post relations were recorded!

kitcarfreak

Post by kitcarfreak » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:45 pm

MarkDHamill wrote:I have completed initial unit testing for all features except private messages and global announcements. I have disabled these controls and will implement them sometime later, perhaps after I get feedback from an Alpha test. You can check it out here:

http://potomactavern.org/phpBB3/smartfeed_url.php

If you want to log in log in as "Smartfeed Tester" password "smartfeed". Post what you want, but if you go back 7 days you should see some messages.

Unfortunately I just can't pack it up for Alpha testing quite yet. I need to go through it again carefully and once I am satisfied with that then I need to figure out the new packaging features. With luck I'll have an Alpha to show sometime this weekend, if not probably sometime the following week.
Just checked it out and it just does what it needs to do for me. All bells and whistles are not necessary. I'm using the phpBB2 smartfeed for some time now and it never let me down.

Appreciate the work you're doing. If I ever hit the 100$ mark at the google ads thing, a share is yours.
I was about to update my forum to v3 but will wait untill your alphais released.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:11 pm

Donations are always appreciated, but not expected. I developed Smartfeed primarily because I wanted to dig into the mechanics of newsfeeds and this was a way to do it. I am glad two years later it is so widely used and embraced. I think it is more popular than my digest mod, and certainly easier to install.

There were two big challenges: figuring out how to display forums in a hierarchical manner and figuring out how to grab forum permissions when I couldn't log in. The rest of it was relatively straightforward.

An Alpha release is a long way from an approved and sanctioned mod. I will need as much testing as possible from this community to really put it through its paces. I will also appreciated new translations when the time is ripe.
Get the latest versions of my Digests and Smartfeed extensions.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services.

scott_thewspot

Post by scott_thewspot » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:25 pm

Will global announcements still just appear as "normal" feed posts at least the first time they are posted, or not at all?
Forcing phpBB to submit on Microsoft platforms since 2005
Windows Server 2012R2, IIS8.5, MSSQL2012

scott_thewspot

Post by scott_thewspot » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:37 pm

Not sure if this is a bug or not.

Logged in as "SmartFeed Tester" viewing last 7 days and you see some posts in the feed... but the URL for last 7 days generated as a Guest shows the same post entries but they only have "..." in the actual post section where the message should be.

BTW - I'm now donating 15% of all income generated by my site to smartfeed... Unfortunately 15% of $0 isn't much :( I am however prepared to provide as much assistance in testing etc that I possibly can.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:08 am

scott_thewspot wrote:Will global announcements still just appear as "normal" feed posts at least the first time they are posted, or not at all?
Scott, they will appear as a normal item. I haven't thought it through yet but I imagine they will appear as the first post in the feed and be identified as an announcement.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:10 am

scott_thewspot wrote:Not sure if this is a bug or not.

Logged in as "SmartFeed Tester" viewing last 7 days and you see some posts in the feed... but the URL for last 7 days generated as a Guest shows the same post entries but they only have "..." in the actual post section where the message should be.
That appears by default if you select to cut off the message at a certain word length. The ... is actually now configurable. It was hardcoded in the Smartfeed phpBB 2 version.

As I said tips are always welcome but don't let it interfere with your lifestyle. I am fortunate enough to be reasonably well moneyed, so anything I make is just gravy.

scott_thewspot

Post by scott_thewspot » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:25 am

MarkDHamill wrote:
That appears by default if you select to cut off the message at a certain word length. The ... is actually now configurable. It was hardcoded in the Smartfeed phpBB 2 version.
As guest, it doesn't seem to matter what the "post length" is set to (All, 100, 150), it always just shows "..." for me.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:45 am

Okay, looks like the first of many bugs to fix. Fixed.

Puggs

Post by Puggs » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:13 am

The big question is... when can we get it?

Puggs

scott_thewspot

Post by scott_thewspot » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:48 am

Puggs wrote:The big question is... when can we get it?

Puggs
now now, don't go annoying the nice developer man or he'll put you on the bottom of the list...

The answer is: when it's ready.

Puggs

Post by Puggs » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:03 am

scott_thewspot wrote:
Puggs wrote:The big question is... when can we get it?

Puggs
now now, don't go annoying the nice developer man or he'll put you on the bottom of the list...

The answer is: when it's ready.
:D Yeah i know, i'm one too... I really just wanted to get in on the topic... yeah i know... push the subscribe button below... but as a dev it's nice to know someone is interested in what you do...

Puggs

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:48 pm

Hopefully it won't be too long before I release an Alpha. As with any Alpha software though it needs to be treated with suspicion, so I would not install it on a live board and especially not on a board full of sensitive content. My experience with the phpBB mod team is that they are slow but very professional and will insist on lots of changes.

Csseur02

Post by Csseur02 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:24 pm

holé,

very good mod, so, it is possible to select all posts, more that the limit of 7 days?

++

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”