[MODDB] Smartfeed for phpBB 3

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
shrapnel09

Re: [RC8] Smartfeed for phpBB 3

Post by shrapnel09 »

I had still been having problems with using Google Reader to view these feeds. I couldn't even subscribe at that point. I tried the recommended TinyURL work-around but that still wasn't working.

Instead, I found my own work-around:

Build your custom feed exactly how you want it through the Smartfeed link at the top of the forum. Take the URL it generates and put it into Feedburner (you'll have to sign up for this) to configure it and generate a new RSS feed address. Then subscribe to that address with Google Reader.

It worked for me. Hope it works for you too.

MarkDHamill

Re: [RC8] Smartfeed for phpBB 3

Post by MarkDHamill »

It would be nice to know that the URL length restriction is for Google Reader. Parameter names could be reduced in size if needed. It seems an artificial limitation.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Kindle and paper versions available.

MarkDHamill

Smartfeed 2.2.8 Now Available

Post by MarkDHamill »

The phpBB Mod Team reviewed Smartfeed 2.2.7 and found a few issues, but truly none of them are critical. I am surprised it was not approved. Anyhow, Smartfeed 2.2.8 is now available. Frankly, I see no compelling reason to upgrade. Will submit this version for approval in a few days.

Change log:

Code: Select all

* Removed $user->lang['SMARTFEED_APACHE_AUTHENTICATION_WARNING_ADMIN'] from language file. No longer needed.
    * Parent table is only loaded once now in smartfeed_url.php
    * Modified these instructions to use inline edits and to suggest refreshing themes and imagesets as suggested by the phpBB Mod team.
    * Minor changes to smartfeed.php to use $user->page['query_string'], make the board disabled message appear sooner, combine two calls to the acl_options table into one call as suggested by the phpBB Mod team. Parent table is only loaded once now in check_all_parents function.
    * Added some missing $db->sql_freeresults statements.
    * phpBB Mod team suggested adding an installer, but this is too complex for me to tackle right now. It may show up in a future version.
Download Here
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Kindle and paper versions available.

MarkDHamill

Smartfeed 2.2.9 Now Available

Post by MarkDHamill »

These are minor changes needed to get past the MVP test.

* Globally replaced require statements with file_exists() and include statements instead.
* Replaced $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'] with $user->referer in smartfeed.php.
* Replaced a die() and addslashes statements in feedcreator.class.php to bypass some MPV warnings. Such is the danger of integrating a third party class.
* Archive heirarchy reorganized to meet current recommendations.
Code has been submitted for yet another Mod Team review

Download Here

nobrell

Re: [RC10] Smartfeed for phpBB 3

Post by nobrell »

Upgrade from 2.2.5 to 2.2.9 failed for me. smartfeed_url.php page becomes blank.
Then tried.
2.2.5 to 2.2.6 = ok
2.2.6 to 2.2.7 = ok
2.2.7 to 2.2.8 = ok
2.2.8 to 2.2.9 = fail, same thing smartfeed_url.php page blank

Does anyone else have this problem?
Is there perhaps something missing in the 2.2.9 upgrade instructions?

Couple of questions about the upgrade instructions included with 2.2.9 :
contrib: Smartfeed 2.2.7 to 2.2.8 Upgrade Instructions
smartfeed_2.2.7_to_2.2.8.xml
Title:Upgrade phpBB Smartfeed from Version 2.2.7 to 2.2.8
Description:These are the upgrade instructions from Version 2.2.6 =>2.2.7?

contrib: Smartfeed 2.2.8 to 2.2.9 Upgrade Instructions
smartfeed_2.2.8_to_2.2.9.xml
Title:Upgrade phpBB Smartfeed from Version 2.2.7 to 2.2.9 =>2.2.8 to 2.2.9?
Description:These are the upgrade instructions from Version 2.2.6 =>2.2.8?
Is this the actual 2.2.8 to 2.2.9 upgrade instruction?

Why just install.xml and not smartfeed_install.xml?

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Thanks for pointing out those errors. This is a result of global find and replace and insufficient testing on my part. I will repack the archive.

As for why smartfeed_install.xml was named install.xml that's the latest packaging requirements. In addition subsilver2 and the language files are also required to move to the top level folder.

nobrell

Post by nobrell »

Tnx for the quick responds Mark :)
I will try out the repack, will you announce it here?
Great Mod, I would be lost without it :D

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

The repack is done, so go ahead and download it again.

nobrell

Post by nobrell »

MarkDHamill wrote:The repack is done, so go ahead and download it again.
I have downloaded the repack and tried the update again. Unfortunately I get the same error smartfeed_url.php page is blank :?
Currently running 2.2.8, and I did the following according to the update instruction:
root/smartfeed.php,
root/smartfeed_url.php,
root/includes/feedcreator.class.php,
root/includes/Crypt/TripleDES.php

UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = '2.2.9' where config_name = 'sf_version';
And then finally purged the cache

I then tried with the root/includes/Crypt/TripleDES.php from 2.2.8 and then the smartfeed_url.php page loads :)
So it seems like there is some changes in TripleDES.php that don't play well in my environment, any clues?

nobrell

Post by nobrell »

I guess its this part in TripleDES.php that for some reason cause problems for me
TripleDES.php 2.2.9:

// require_once 'DES.php'; -- MDH 4/29/09 - This line commented out and following lines substituted to address MPV warning
if (file_exists('DES.php'))
{
	include ('DES.php');
}
compared to
TripleDES.php 2.2.8:

require_once 'DES.php';
:?

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

What behavior are you experiencing?

It worked for me in my testing and the phpBB Mod Team required these statements to be fixed for a further review. I think 3rd party classes should get an exemption.

nobrell

Post by nobrell »

MarkDHamill wrote:What behavior are you experiencing?
When i click on the smartfeed_url.php link the page is just blank :? no error messages no nothing. Don't get it but that's what happens.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

It would fine with this code on my test board. I'd be interested in knowing if you revert the code to use the require statement if that fixes the problem.

Have you used applied it to a different template? Sometimes different templates will introduce Javascript errors. Checking your browser's error console may reveal this issue.

nobrell

Post by nobrell »

MarkDHamill wrote:It would fine with this code on my test board. I'd be interested in knowing if you revert the code to use the require statement if that fixes the problem.
Yes it then works.

TripleDES.php

// require_once 'DES.php'; -- MDH 4/29/09 - This line commented out and following lines substituted to address MPV warning
if (file_exists('DES.php'))
{
	include ('DES.php');
}
Does not work for me, page is just blank. Tried IE Firefox, Crome on different machines.

require_once 'DES.php';
// -- MDH 4/29/09 - This line commented out and following lines substituted to address MPV warning
// if (file_exists('DES.php'))
// {
//	include ('DES.php');
// }
Works
I'm clueless :(
Using PHP Version 5.0.3

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

I don't understand it either. However, I kind of have to leave it in or it is likely the mod will not get approved.

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”