MOD Version: 2.0.0a5
MOD Download: currently Alpha releases (testing only!)
MOD Website: http://www.mail2forum.com
Current Status: http://mail2forum.com/v20-development/status/
Issue Tracker: http://tracker.mail2forum.com/projects/show/m2f
Current Source: browse SVN repository
How to get involved: Visit out support forums, and contact admins George andPda0.
MOD Description: A fully-featured message hub. Imports and exports messages from/to unlimited formats, such as phpBB 3, email, RSS, nntp, blogs, other Bulletin Boards (SMF, vBulletin, etc.).
- Mail2Forum v2.0 will be written on a completely new code-base. The initial development aim will be to replicate as closely as possible the functionality of the v1.2 branch.
- Written to very high coding standards - fully Unit Tested (Simpletest), DB Abstraction (Doctrine), Model-View-Controller (Zend Framework), content and presentation separated, modular, pluggable system for 3rd-party contributions.
- The aim is to free m2f from the 1:1 constraint in version 1.2 (between phpBB forum and mailing list), replacing it with a many:many relationship between unlimited modular channels.
- Channels will be written to a public API, and therefore can be user-contributed. We aim to bring to the project new functionality in the areas of Bulletin Board (phpBB, vBulletin, SMF, Phorum etc.), Mailing List, RSS, NNTP, Blog and others.
- We aim to expand the list of uses for m2f. It is currently used in a limited number of ways: to mirror and/or archive messages; to provide a mixed-media access point for different groups of users (web-based and email-based); to import messages from an external archive or repository. v2.0 should add further possibilities: daily message digests; up-to-date feeds (RSS, etc.); further archiving options; interfaces with other media (SMS gateway?, PDF, etc.).
- Pluggable, modular message channels for input and output:
- bulletin board: phpBB, vBulletin, Phorum, SMF, etc.
- email: POP, SMTP, mbox, Sendmail, PHP mail()
- Blogs: Wordpress, etc.
- Stdin: pipe messages to m2f on the command line
- who knows.....!
- Pluggable, modular message filters for message transformation and analysis:
- spam filter: rules and regexp matching, possible integration with an external spam filter
- batch delivery - daily digests, etc
- BBCode <-> HTML <-> ASCII
- Moderation Centre: a storage facility for unrouted messages, and an approval center for messages to a protected chain. Supports default chains. If exporting a message fails for some reason (if the phpBB database is down, for example), the imported messages are stored in the Moderation Centre.
- Mailing-list features: Allowing users to subscribe/unsubscribe to a forum via email. Supports users with multiple email addresses (so they can send from different addresses without being bounced).
- Periodic Message Digests: Sure, there is a MOD available for phpBB to do this, but m2f is not just for phpBB!
- Scheduler: users create a Cron job which contacts the scheduler once a minute. Each time it is contacted, the scheduler decides which m2f imports to run, if any. Also useful for a time-limit and resume function for importing.
- Centralised functionality for subscription/unsubscription, digests, moderation in one easy Control Panel.
- Localisation: all admin pages can be easily translated by adding a new language file.