[RC2]RSS Feed

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
AllCity
Name: Andrey Shapoval

Re: [RC2]RSS Feed

Post by AllCity »

Cool fashion only lacks multi language :oops:
My mods home page.

Marcus Wendel

Post by Marcus Wendel »

I just wanted to say thanks for this Mod. I'm using a lightly modified version of this Mod (to get only the first post in a thread, not all new posts) in my forums.

/Marcus

Hippie459MN

Post by Hippie459MN »

Thank you for this. So far its working good. :)

Edit: Just noticed its showing posts from an admin/staff only area of my board, Is there any way to prevent that frow showing up?

Marcus Wendel

Post by Marcus Wendel »

Hippie459MN wrote:Edit: Just noticed its showing posts from an admin/staff only area of my board, Is there any way to prevent that frow showing up?
If you test it without being logged into the forum you should only get the open areas of your board.

/Marcus

Marcus Wendel

Post by Marcus Wendel »

I would like to see it modified to handle large boards as well, one of my forums have 1,2 million posts and there this mod can't be used as the query takes way too long time.

/Marcus

joeroberts

Post by joeroberts »

AllCity wrote:Cool fashion only lacks multi language :oops:
something for V2.0 maybe!

joeroberts

Post by joeroberts »

Marcus Wendel wrote:I would like to see it modified to handle large boards as well, one of my forums have 1,2 million posts and there this mod can't be used as the query takes way too long time.

/Marcus
I would need help on this I have tried but with out that many post in my forum I am just shooting in the dark!

joeroberts

Post by joeroberts »

Marcus Wendel wrote:I just wanted to say thanks for this Mod. I'm using a lightly modified version of this Mod (to get only the first post in a thread, not all new posts) in my forums.

/Marcus
may I see your query??

Marcus Wendel

Post by Marcus Wendel »

joeroberts wrote:
Marcus Wendel wrote:I just wanted to say thanks for this Mod. I'm using a lightly modified version of this Mod (to get only the first post in a thread, not all new posts) in my forums.
may I see your query??
Here you are. I know almost nothing about MySQL commands so I'm sure it can be improved a lot.

Code: Select all

SELECT distinct(p.topic_id) , p.forum_id, p.post_time, p.post_subject, p.post_text, p.bbcode_bitfield, p.bbcode_uid, p.post_id,
                u.user_id, u.user_email, u.username, u.user_allow_viewemail,
                t.topic_title, t.topic_first_post_id, f.left_id, f.right_id, t.topic_replies as aantal_posts
            FROM " . POSTS_TABLE . " p JOIN " . USERS_TABLE . " u on p.poster_id = u.user_id JOIN " . TOPICS_TABLE . " t on p.topic_id = t.topic_id JOIN ". FORUMS_TABLE ." f on p.forum_id = f.forum_id JOIN ". phpbb_topics ." t2 on p.post_id = t2.topic_first_post_id
            ORDER BY p.post_time DESC";
/Marcus

CitizenLeo

Post by CitizenLeo »

Marcus Wendel wrote:
Hippie459MN wrote:Edit: Just noticed its showing posts from an admin/staff only area of my board, Is there any way to prevent that frow showing up?
If you test it without being logged into the forum you should only get the open areas of your board.

/Marcus
How would logging into the forum in a browser let your RSS reader (a separate app) know that it's okay to view the restricted areas of a forum? The two can't communicate. This RSS mod should never show restricted forums, it should only show whatever is open to guests.

Marcus Wendel

Post by Marcus Wendel »

CitizenLeo wrote:
Marcus Wendel wrote:
How would logging into the forum in a browser let your RSS reader (a separate app) know that it's okay to view the restricted areas of a forum? The two can't communicate. This RSS mod should never show restricted forums, it should only show whatever is open to guests.
My example was referring to a RSS reader built into your browser and I'm just pointing out how it works, not defending it.

/Marcus

CitizenLeo

Post by CitizenLeo »

Ah, understood.

Hippie459MN

Post by Hippie459MN »

Thank you everyone. I get a bit worried there. I logged out and then the RSS only showed the threads viewable to guests and logged in regular user and only seen what is available to regular users.

I keep forgetting being the forum founder I see everything. lol

Thanks for this. Works great so far. :mrgreen:

joeroberts

Post by joeroberts »

Marcus Wendel wrote:How would logging into the forum in a browser let your RSS reader (a separate app) know that it's okay to view the restricted areas of a forum?
It is easy if the rss reader is a app on your pc then it well use the cookies of your browser and that is how it well know it is ok to show you the forum.

CitizenLeo

Post by CitizenLeo »

joeroberts wrote:
Marcus Wendel wrote:How would logging into the forum in a browser let your RSS reader (a separate app) know that it's okay to view the restricted areas of a forum?
It is easy if the rss reader is a app on your pc then it well use the cookies of your browser and that is how it well know it is ok to show you the forum.
That's actually not true. An RSS reader client has no way of knowing which browser you use nor how/where to access your cookies. Now if you do RSS in Safari and browse your forum as an admin in Safari, then yes, the RSS feed will show private forums. But if you use Firefox as your browser and some RSS reader such as NewzCrawler, then no, NewzCrawler will not know how to browse the private forums.

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”