[RC7] phpBB Digests

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
MarkDHamill

Re: [RC6] Email Digests

Post by MarkDHamill » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:14 am

Not yet. When I have the time I will integrate it in to a future version. There is a lot of learning.
Get the latest versions of my Digests and Smartfeed extensions.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:07 am

2.2.5 archive has been repacked to use MODX 1.2.3.

Brian O'Kelly

Database part of installation

Post by Brian O'Kelly » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:02 pm

I understand the install process except I'm not clear on the sql database changes.

I copied the SQL code in step one into a text file and tried to import that into my database for phpbb3. Is that the correct method?

I received this error message. Thanks.

Error

SQL query:

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[phpbb_digests_subscribed_forums](
[user_id][bigint] NOT NULL ,
[forum_id][bigint] NOT NULL
) ON [ PRIMARY ]GO ALTER TABLE [dbo].[phpbb_digests_subscribed_forums] WITH NOCHECK ADD CONSTRAINT [DF_phpbb_digests_subscribed_forums_user_id]DEFAULT( 0 ) FOR [user_id],
CONSTRAINT [DF_phpbb_digests_subscribed_forums_forum_id]DEFAULT( 0 ) FOR [forum_id]GO ALTER TABLE [user].phpbb_users ADD user_digest_type varchar( 4 ) DEFAULT 'NONE' NOT NULL ;

MySQL said: Documentation
#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '[dbo].[phpbb_digests_subscribed_forums] (
[user_id] [bigint] NOT NULL ,
' at line 1

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:23 am

This is the database installation instructions for SQLServer. Someone gave it to me so I cannot troubleshoot it. RedMax was the author. You might want to message him.

I think you are probably using MySQL, so select that SQL and copy and paste it into a utility like phpMyAdmin.

Brian O'Kelly

Post by Brian O'Kelly » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:12 pm

Has anyone tried this iwith phpBB 3.0.6 yet?

I was going to give it a try with RC3

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:09 pm

I will wait for an official release of 3.0.6 before worrying about compliance with it.

Brian O'Kelly

Re: Database part of installation

Post by Brian O'Kelly » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:03 pm

I solved the sql question by going through the tutorial for mysqladmin here...
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 0&t=588697
Brian O'Kelly wrote:I understand the install process except I'm not clear on the sql database changes.

I copied the SQL code in step one into a text file and tried to import that into my database for phpbb3. Is that the correct method?
Thanks.

Brian O'Kelly

Post by Brian O'Kelly » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:06 pm

I made it through the install and ran the mail_digests.php from my browser. All I got was
Starting mail_digests.php
Ending mail_digests.php

Any ideas on what I'm missing? If no digests are mailed does it usually say 0 digests sent?
Thanks

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:58 pm

If there is nothing to process, it won't give a message. See the DIY instructions for tips on how to test it.

Brian O'Kelly

Post by Brian O'Kelly » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:54 pm

Thanks, I did run the mail_digests.php I was having trouble getting my times lined up so I migrated the phpBB2 data over, (2000 users!) That way I was sure to have some digests sent out every hour for testing. The migration tool worked great by the way.

My digest report doesn't show any dates or times after running mail_digests.php? All the rest of the info is there.

And, where do we manage phpbb3 subscribers like in the phpbb2 version under "modify subscribers"?

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:15 am

I think it is just coincidence that for that particular hour there were no digests to send.

There is no utility (yet) for the phpBB3 version that can show you who is subscribed for which hour and lets you manipulate settings. It is actually very hard logic to write and integrate with the new ACP. You can run a MySQL query to show you who subscribes for which hours.

Bear in mind you have to convert the last column to figure out how the digest time in GMT corresponds to your time zone to know what digest are sent for a particular hour.

Code: Select all

SELECT `username` , `user_digest_type` , `user_digest_send_hour_gmt`
FROM phpbb_users
WHERE user_digest_type <> 'NONE'
ORDER BY 3 , 1
If there are a lot of weekly digests, remember those only go out once a week on the day set in the ACP.

There are other switches that may mean no digests are not sent, such as the one where a user can select no digests if there are no qualified posts, or if they selected certain forums only and there were no posts in those forums for the time period. Expand the columns to see these values.

EAM

Post by EAM » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:05 pm

Hi Mark,

I have finally done my upgrades from 2.2.2 to 2.2.5. The issue that I had with the U_ACTION still exists. I commented it out and replaced it with what worked in 2.2.2 and still works in 2.2.5.** However, the new code does work in Vista, just not what my server runs (XP I believe but not sure what version). So far that is the only issue I'm having except that the instructions (for the upgrade) don't say to remove the digest log settings from the acp and there is an sql statement missing (INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_enable_log', '0');). It is in the Full install instructions just not in the upgrade. I still have to check the actual digest when it is sent but so far everything else looks good. Thanks for all of your hard work.

**// When the form is submitted it needs to redirect back to this program. Windows XP servers seem to have issues, so $user->page['page'] is unreliable.
//'U_ACTION' => (strstr($_SERVER['SERVER_SOFTWARE'],'XP')) ? htmlspecialchars($_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME']): $user->page['page'],
'U_ACTION' => htmlspecialchars($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']) . '?' . htmlspecialchars($_SERVER['QUERY_STRING']),

MarkDHamill

Digests 2.2.6 [RC7] Released

Post by MarkDHamill » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:50 pm

This release addresses all those thorny installation issues that have bedeviled so many in the past. Frankly, phpBB Digests is a pain to install, but it is a lot less of a pain now. File changes can be made with AutoMOD and those thorny database changes can now be made with UMIL, which is included in the archive. It has been tested on phpBB 3.0.6.

Make sure you upgrade to phpBB 3.0.6 before upgrading!
* AutoMOD compliant.
* Includes UMIL installer to facilitate creating configuration variables, table adds, table alterations and to install necessary ACP and UCP modules. SQL is no longer included in the installation instructions.
* Bug fixed: default user digest type so it can be set to monthly.
* Bug fixed: /includes/ucp/ucp_digests.php will now correctly show All Forums checkbox as unchecked if set that way for the default in the ACP.
* Explanation text for "Minimum words required in post for the post to appear in a digest" changed. UMIL tool appears to be limited in that it cannot create columns with null values by default, so I had to change the wording for the explanation. Also changed a popup message that appeared that would not allow zero in this field. This also required changing the template ucp_digests.html.
* Removed the digest_eol function. This is obsolete now that actions are written to the ACP log.
Now that this is behind me I can look at other desired features, such as the ability of an Admin to create subscriptions for non-subscribers and to fine tune/review individual digest settings.

Greg46m

Re: [RC7] phpBB Digests

Post by Greg46m » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:53 am

Mark,

First off, thank you very much for creating this MOD. This solves the age old discussion I've had with people over how crappy Yahoo groups are except that they had a digest feature. Now that my site has this I think it'll create a lot more traffic.

It took me awhile to properly install your mod and get it working (including upgrading my phpbb version) but it's finally working and it's great. Your instructions are flawless.

The only problem, or "issue" I'm having is that when I manually call up the mail_digest.php page it sends out a HTML version of the digest, but when my cron job calls it up, I get a plain text version of the digest. In my UCP I have it set to send the HTML version.

Is this a known issue or is it known why this could happen? Is there any other data i can provide you with to help troubleshoot this?

Thank you,
Greg

MarkDHamill

Re: [RC7] phpBB Digests

Post by MarkDHamill » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:49 pm

Greg, I never heard of that problem before. Could it be you have two accounts on the board and it is sending two different digests based on two different sets of settings?

With the latest release 2.2.6 installation should be easy and the only problem will be if you are using a style other than prosilver.

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”