[RC7] phpBB Digests

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Get Involved
Brian O'Kelly

Re: [RC7] phpBB Digests

Post by Brian O'Kelly » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:03 pm

Install stuck at the DYI Section 4. Add a Digests interface to the Administration Control Panel

I've completed all the tasks for installations successfully to this point using phpbb3.0.6 and Digest 2.2.6
When I try to add the modules the "General Settings", "Log settings " and "User default settings" they aren't listed.

Step #3 went fine with the User Control Panel modules added without problem.

I've done the a few times and always get stuck here. Any ideas?

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:57 pm

If you are using 2.2.6, since it has UMIL it should install both the ACP and UCP interfaces for you when you run umil_digests_install.php. Perhaps you are using an older set of instruction?
Get the latest versions of my Digests and Smartfeed extensions.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services.

Brian O'Kelly

Post by Brian O'Kelly » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:56 am

I used the Umil file. It installed the modules for the user panel, but not the admin panel. I run through the installation again and see where I went wrong.

Here's another weird thing, and this happens everytime I upload the files in Digest 2.2.6
I lose ownership of several files, the owner is apache, and the only way I can delete them off our dedicated server is to shell in and delete them. Any reports of this happening? I am deleting all the forum and digest files now with FTP and I'll list what's left when the task is done, (i have a slow connection)

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:58 pm

Brian O'Kelly wrote:I used the Umil file. It installed the modules for the user panel, but not the admin panel. I run through the installation again and see where I went wrong.

Here's another weird thing, and this happens everytime I upload the files in Digest 2.2.6
I lose ownership of several files, the owner is apache, and the only way I can delete them off our dedicated server is to shell in and delete them. Any reports of this happening? I am deleting all the forum and digest files now with FTP and I'll list what's left when the task is done, (i have a slow connection)
UMIL should install both ACP and UCP interfaces. The ACP Interface should be a separate category under the General Tab, probably at the bottom.

I don't know if you used AutoMod to make the file changes. If you did them manually, you may have introduced an error which is causing the problem. 2.2.6 was tested by making the file changes with AutoMod and then the database and control panel changes with UMIL.

I don't know what FTP tool you are using but if apache has a FTP account, transferring files using that ID and password should solve the file issue.

robabbott

Re: [RC6] Email Digests

Post by robabbott » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:32 pm

EAM wrote:I have finally done my upgrades from 2.2.2 to 2.2.5. The issue that I had with the U_ACTION still exists. I commented it out and replaced it with what worked in 2.2.2 and still works in 2.2.5.**

(snip)

**// When the form is submitted it needs to redirect back to this program. Windows XP servers seem to have issues, so $user->page['page'] is unreliable.
//'U_ACTION' => (strstr($_SERVER['SERVER_SOFTWARE'],'XP')) ? htmlspecialchars($_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME']): $user->page['page'],
'U_ACTION' => htmlspecialchars($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']) . '?' . htmlspecialchars($_SERVER['QUERY_STRING']),
I had the same issue; fresh install of phpBB 3.0.6 and Digests 2.2.6 RC7 (running Apache on Linux). I used Automod and UMIL for the Digests install. I'm not running any other mods.

The problem I saw, in the existing 2.2.6 ucp_digests.php code, when you hit Submit on the Digest UCP the session ID is lost and you're asked to log in again (with the added bonus of not updating your changes). EAM's U_ACTION code above solves the problem. Not sure how this change would affect an XP server.

Mark, I do have one other question; my current production board is running a very old version of Digests (version # is broken but code comments say Oct 4 2003). In this version users can choose to receive digests down to every hour if they wish. Since the board was originally an email listserv, a lot of users choose to receive hourly digests. I'm wondering why the minimum interval was changed to daily? Any chance of getting the hourly functionality back?

Thanks!

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:58 pm

I have been parsing $_SERVER['SERVER_SOFTWARE'] for 'XP'. Can someone who is getting this error tell me what is the value of $_SERVER['SERVER_SOFTWARE']? I am guessing if using Windows 2003 server software XP does not show up. I can parse for other strings. I don't have a Microsoft environment to test these instances, so thanks for reporting errors.
Mark, I do have one other question; my current production board is running a very old version of Digests (version # is broken but code comments say Oct 4 2003). In this version users can choose to receive digests down to every hour if they wish. Since the board was originally an email listserv, a lot of users choose to receive hourly digests. I'm wondering why the minimum interval was changed to daily? Any chance of getting the hourly functionality back?
I am guessing this is the dormlife.us version, for which I have an archive copy on my website. I don't recall doing this in my phpBB 2 version of Digests, although I might have. It was so long ago! This feature could possibly be added in a future version. As I recall it is not trivial to engineer.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:51 am

Code: Select all

'U_ACTION' => (strstr($_SERVER['SERVER_SOFTWARE'],'XP')) ? htmlspecialchars($_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME']): $user->page['page'],
I am betting that by changing XP to Windows it will be generic enough to pick up any instance of a Windows operating system. Anyone using Windows to serve their web pages want to verify my thesis?

robabbott

Post by robabbott » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:20 pm

Thanks for the feedback on the hourly thing. I agree it would require a lot of work. I think for now I'll try to push them to use RSS if they want more immediate data with the forum upgrade.

On the UCP submit issue - Here are the values I am seeing in my environment that might help debug this.

Note 'page' does not include the session ID - I am guessing this is what is causing the problem:

Debugging (from ucp_digests.php, ~line 203):

echo 'SERVER: ' . $_SERVER['SERVER_SOFTWARE'] . ' <br/>';
echo 'SCRIPT: ' . htmlspecialchars($_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME']) . ' <br/>';
echo 'PAGE: ' . $user->page['page'] . ' <br/>';
echo 'SESSION: ' . $user->session_id . ' <br/>';
echo 'SELF: ' . htmlspecialchars($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']) . ' <br/>';
echo 'QUERY: ' . htmlspecialchars($_SERVER['QUERY_STRING']) . ' <br/>';
Output:

SERVER: Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat)
SCRIPT: /phpBB3/ucp.php
PAGE: ucp.php?i=205
SESSION: 46c637b10886036ff02b1f28d452e97b
SELF: /phpBB3/ucp.php
QUERY: sid=46c637b10886036ff02b1f28d452e97b&i=205 
Please let me know if you need more information.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:38 pm

I am confused because the $user->page['page'] property is the standard phpBB way to reference the current page. Perhaps you could echo this variable and see what it is saying.

robabbott

Post by robabbott » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:46 pm

I did echo that :)

It returns the page without the session ID. Note the difference between PAGE: and SELF: + QUERY:

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:32 pm

Sorry about that.

Perhaps the session ID needs to be added too. Odd it hasn't been a problem in the past. Try:

'U_ACTION' => (strstr($_SERVER['SERVER_SOFTWARE'],'XP')) ? htmlspecialchars($_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME']): $user->page['page'] . '&sid=' . $user->session_id,

robabbott

Post by robabbott » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:55 pm

No need to apologize! That works :) thanks!

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:10 pm

OK, it will get rolled into the next release.

MarkDHamill

2.2.6: Bug in /style/prosilver/template/ucp_digests.php

Post by MarkDHamill » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:53 pm

Bug Found in Version: 2.2.6
Severity: Minor

UCP > Digests > Posts Selection, when unchecking the All button all the forums should uncheck, but they don't. This is because the switch name in the template was not changed in the archive.

To fix, line 63 of /style/prosilver/template/ucp_digests.php should be changed from:

<!-- IF POSTS_SELECTION -->
to:

<!-- IF S_POSTS_SELECTION -->
You may need to refresh the template.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:24 am

Hey everyone, thank you for all your quality testing and feedback.

The mod is now approved and the topic can be found here:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1910105

So please don't post to this topic anymore, post to the new one.

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”