I'm trying to create a tool to assist MODs authors in creating their mods.
The goal is to have an almost "automated" tool which creates mods packages and instructions to help modders in the "boring" stage of creating mods.
How should it work...
- Install a new board on your local test server
- Make all the modifications you like to phpBB files and DB
- Click a link and the tool should create a new folder with all you need to create a MOD package:
- Correct folders and files structure for a mod pack
- ModX file
- DB structure
- Review the package and apply the needed changes which have not being created automatically
- Submit the zip file to the MOD DB
Remember also that this is a basic working version, but not completed yet.
In any case, use this tool at your own risk.
Remember that this tool work only with MySQL (and at the moment it won't detect changes in KEYS).
A little guide on how to use it:
- Download and install the package located here http://www.icyphoenix.com/_cvs/phpbb3_q ... 080824.zip: this is a modified QuickInstall tool created by evil<3
- Edit properly includes/qi_config.php and apply CHMOD 0777 to boards, cache and mods folder.
- Install one (or more) new board using the QuickInstall control panel and start modding it.
- When you want to create a mod go to "Manage boards" section and you will see two new links:
- DB Diff: which outputs to screen the differences in DB structure (only structure) respect to a clean phpBB 3.0.2 installation.
- Create MOD: which creates a new folder into mods with all the new files and the XML with the modifications to apply to standard phpBB 3.0.2 files.
Of course the output won't be perfect... it will still require some manual editing... but this tool will help at least to double check all the changes.
Last but not least, thanks to Igor (evil<3) for both QuickInstall and MOD Diff Renderer which I have used as the starting point for this package.
Thanks for reading and for the feedbacks you may provide.