Automatic MODs Pack Creation

Discussion forum for MOD Writers regarding MOD Development.
Mighty Gorgon
Name: Luca Libralato

Automatic MODs Pack Creation

Post by Mighty Gorgon »

Hi,
I'm trying to create a tool to assist MODs authors in creating their mods.

The goal is to have an almost "automated" tool which creates mods packages and instructions to help modders in the "boring" stage of creating mods. :wink:

How should it work...
  • Install a new board on your local test server
  • Make all the modifications you like to phpBB files and DB
  • Click a link and the tool should create a new folder with all you need to create a MOD package:
    • Correct folders and files structure for a mod pack
    • ModX file
    • DB structure
  • Review the package and apply the needed changes which have not being created automatically
  • Submit the zip file to the MOD DB
Before going over... remember that this is intended as a "DEVELOPMENT TOOL" so it should not be used online.
Remember also that this is a basic working version, but not completed yet.
In any case, use this tool at your own risk.

Remember that this tool work only with MySQL (and at the moment it won't detect changes in KEYS).

A little guide on how to use it:
  • Download and install the package located here http://www.icyphoenix.com/_cvs/phpbb3_q ... 080824.zip: this is a modified QuickInstall tool created by evil<3
  • Edit properly includes/qi_config.php and apply CHMOD 0777 to boards, cache and mods folder.
  • Install one (or more) new board using the QuickInstall control panel and start modding it. :wink:
  • When you want to create a mod go to "Manage boards" section and you will see two new links:
    • DB Diff: which outputs to screen the differences in DB structure (only structure) respect to a clean phpBB 3.0.2 installation.
    • Create MOD: which creates a new folder into mods with all the new files and the XML with the modifications to apply to standard phpBB 3.0.2 files.
Some screenshots:

Of course the output won't be perfect... it will still require some manual editing... but this tool will help at least to double check all the changes.

Last but not least, thanks to Igor (evil<3) for both QuickInstall and MOD Diff Renderer which I have used as the starting point for this package.

Thanks for reading and for the feedbacks you may provide.
Last edited by Mighty Gorgon on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Re: Automatic MODs Pack Creation

Post by 3Di »

Indeed thank you for the effort you are doing here. :)

On a side note: is anybody here that tried this out, actually?
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you! 🚀
lefty74

Post by lefty74 »

hi luca,
this looks interesting, packing a mod i always find the worst.

many thanks
will try this out in a bit :)
lefty74
zoocrew.eu - help us save our wildlife
My MODS | Due to lack of time I unfortunately am unable to work on my mods anymore, anyone who has ideas to improve them and would like to take any of them over, please PM me.
Mighty Gorgon

Post by Mighty Gorgon »

3Di wrote:On a side note: is anybody here that tried this out, actually?
As far as I know a couple of users tried that so far and reported back.

Only one of the two reporting some small issues for that I'm waiting further details to be able to replicate and possibly solve the problems.

Problems reported so far could be found here:
http://phpbbmodders.net/board/viewtopic ... 980#p17980
lefty74 wrote:will try this out in a bit :)
Thanks, awaiting your feedbacks. :)
Last edited by Mighty Gorgon on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

Hi Luca,

Nice!!

Did you want to post a topic in MODs in Development with the download? -- note that you don’t have to.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.
Mighty Gorgon

Post by Mighty Gorgon »

Highway of Life wrote:Did you want to post a topic in MODs in Development with the download? -- note that you don’t have to.
Of course I can, but I thought that this is not properly a MOD, that is why I posted it here. :roll:

And a big part of the code used in this pack has been created by evil<3 (this is based upon his QuickInstall MOD), how should I correctly behave? Should I create a full pack including his mod (giving full credits of course), or should I create only an "addon" package for his mod?

I want to do things properly (and respectful to the rules), so if you can point me in the right direction I will then post it (if needed) also in the MODs in Dev section.

Thanks.
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

Well it’s a “Tool” which although does not classify as a “MOD”, it is permitted (and encouraged), so I’d go ahead and post it in the MODs in-Dev forum, hopefully it can help many others.
Also, so long as the tools that you’re using are GPL, you can include them with your package, and it seems you’ve retained full credit, so there is no problem with that. You can double check with Igor if you want to, but I don't think he'll object. ;)
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.
Mighty Gorgon

Post by Mighty Gorgon »

Thanks for clarifying. :)

I have modified some files since the latest release, as soon as I upgrade the package I will post it in the MODs in Dev.

Thanks again.
Agrajag

Post by Agrajag »

I tested this out. All of the file edit and copies showed up correctly, but some of the SQL schema change info seemed incorrect. It gave me info about making a table called "phpbb_mods" which I think is part of YOUR mod pack creator and not part of my mod. Otherwise it worked great, thanks! This is a great tool and I'll be using it for all my future mod creations.
igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw »

Agrajag wrote:I tested this out. All of the file edit and copies showed up correctly, but some of the SQL schema change info seemed incorrect. It gave me info about making a table called "phpbb_mods" which I think is part of YOUR mod pack creator and not part of my mod. Otherwise it worked great, thanks! This is a great tool and I'll be using it for all my future mod creations.
You need to untick the "blinky" checkbox when creating the board.
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three
Agrajag

Post by Agrajag »

Ah I see, thanks I'll do that for future boards.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion”