Discuss: MODX 1.2.1 released

Discussion forum for MOD Writers regarding MOD Development.
Agrajag

Re: Discuss: MODX 1.2.1 released

Post by Agrajag »

A_O_C wrote:hmmm, MOD HISTORY isnt hidden for me by default in IE7 (as a matter of fact, i dont even see the option to hide it). works fine in FF3.
I had a similar problem with Safari. The Show/Hide for Mod History doesn't work in Safari if there's also a <link-group> tag in the MODX file. I wrote a bug report here, if the same problem occurs in IE7 you might want to add that to the bug ticket's comments (I assume bugs affecting IE will get fixed faster than bugs affecting Safari ;)).
A_O_C

Post by A_O_C »

with IE, only it doesnt matter whether you use the <link-group> tags or not, MOD HISTORY is shown in full with no option to collapse. i added this to your bug report, but wanted to clarify that this issue doesnt deal with the <link-group> tags.
primehalo
Former Team Member

Post by primehalo »

A_O_C wrote:with IE, only it doesnt matter whether you use the <link-group> tags or not, MOD HISTORY is shown in full with no option to collapse. i added this to your bug report, but wanted to clarify that this issue doesnt deal with the <link-group> tags.
You will need to provide more information that just this, as it works fine with my IE7 on Windows XP Home Edition, and I know a few others have also tested it out with IE7 and it worked fine.
Ken F. Innes IV
My Extensions | My MODs | My Topics | My Site: Absolute Anime
Experience the wonder of Japanese Animation!
A_O_C

Post by A_O_C »

i downloaded the quickstart package from the MODX RESOURCE CENTER page. i then downloaded one of my validated MODs (site warning), replaced the MODX XSL file with the one included in the quickstart package, then opened up install.xml and changed the 1.2.0 to 1.2.1, saved, opened up in a web browser and checked.

i just tested again, same result.

quickstart package: http://www.phpbb.com/mods/modx/quickstart_files121.zip
site warning MOD: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1085045
primehalo
Former Team Member

Post by primehalo »

I have fixed the Safari bugs, but I cannot reproduce the IE7 issue, even following those exact steps. Perhaps it has something to do with your security settings preventing JavaScript from fulling executing?
Ken F. Innes IV
My Extensions | My MODs | My Topics | My Site: Absolute Anime
Experience the wonder of Japanese Animation!
A_O_C

Post by A_O_C »

i see what was going on primehalo (i didnt allow activex content in my browser). sorry for the false alarm. thanks for all your hard work. :D

the weird thing is that the "hide" for the instructions worked either way. :?
jasmineaura
Name: Jasmine

Post by jasmineaura »

A_O_C wrote:i see what was going on primehalo (i didnt allow activex content in my browser). sorry for the false alarm. thanks for all your hard work. :D

the weird thing is that the "hide" for the instructions worked either way. :?
I've noticed the same thing. IE7 is funny (and quirky)..

For example, if you upload the install.xml file and open it via an http:// link in IE7, it doesn't show the ActiveX warning. But if you open the install.xml file locally on your computer (C:\path\to\install.xml), it shows the ActiveX warning and you have to click on the yellow bar and choose "Allow blocked content" for it to work.. Heh.
HoneyBunny

Post by HoneyBunny »

Ok I'm officially confused.

I've been trying to work out for a few days now what exactly MODX is and how I use it to install Mods for my phpbb3 forum. Yes I visited the resource centre and read the FAQ's, yes I downloaded the latest files for MODX, but the problem is I don't know what to do with the MODX 1.2.1 files themselves.

Yes, I took a guess, downloaded the files (there is only one file plus the license) then tried to open the file with my browser (I tried with both Explorer 7 and Firefox 3.0.2). It spat gibberish at me and said "Save all files. End of MOD." Well that's helpful :|

Assuming the MODX thing had done what it needed to do, I moved on to this nice tutorial. What is even more confusing is that the tutorial gets to step 2 and assumes you know how to suddenly use the "copy action in MODX".

I'm missing a step somewhere I think. How exactly do I get from gibberish to using the copy action?
A_O_C

Post by A_O_C »

MODX is used by MOD authors to write instructions on how to install their MOD. downloading any MOD submitted to the 3.0.x MOD database will yield a zip file with (at least) 3 files. the stylesheet and the license are the files that you downloaded. those must be included. the install file (NOT included in the files you downloaded) is the one you open in your web browser. this file will have a .xml extension at the end of it.

regarding the copy action, just do what it says. copy the file that is located on the first line to the phpbb location it specifies on the second line. for example, a MOD may say this:
copy root/somefile.php
to somefile.php
which means find the file somefile.php in the root folder of the MOD folder, and them copy it to your phpbb root directory. if the MOD says something like this:
copy root/adm/style/somefile.php
to adm/style/somefile.php
then it means find the file somefile.php by clicking on the root folder, then the adm folder, than the style folder, and copy it to the adm/style/ folder of you phpbb installation. i know this probably sounds confusing, but im in a hurry (late for work) so hopefully someone can take the time to explain it better. :D
femu

Post by femu »

Hi,

just a small question and exuse me, if might have overread it ...

I just made a translation for a mod and wanted to be gentle and add a MODx install file. There I get errors, where I use German Umlauts in a add-before line. So it doesn't accept ä, ü, ö and ß. Due to the fact a German translation contains of such charcters, I'm a little confused, they are not accepted. I then tried to use

Code: Select all

&uuml; &auml; &ouml; &szlig;
instead, but these show as they are. As language files should be saved as UTF-8 without BOM, I thought I may use these characters ... Any idea, what I can do now?

Thanks,
femu
Regards, femu
Former Team Member
Name: Joas Schilling

Post by nickvergessen »

save the .xml as utf8 without BOM as well.
Works pretty well for me.
No Support via PM
femu

Post by femu »

Sometimes it's more easier, than it looks like ;-)

Thanks very much. This works.
Femu
Regards, femu

Post by ameisez »

Hi,

How will i create this Modx file?

This is the file with .xml extension that we open to install MODs right?

Is it a software generated or hard coded?

Thanks
PHPBB on HOSTGATOR SERVER. MY PERSONAL CHOICE ;)
Need phpBB images and buttons? HIRE ME
my MOD: BB3 Media Player | a phpbb based media player
T50

Post by T50 »

ameisez wrote:Hi,

How will i create this Modx file?

This is the file with .xml extension that we open to install MODs right?

Is it a software generated or hard coded?

Thanks
both, some hardcode it for the info.
and some use the modx generator at STG
Free Webhosting with option of getting paid plan <-- No Ads, No Pop-ups, Absolutely free/ or use promo code T50 to get a 10% discount on paid plan!
Make a few $$ in under a few minutes, easy to do

Webmaster of a Northeast Wisconsin Boy Scout Troop Website, http://bsat50.info
leviatan21
Name: Gabriel

Post by leviatan21 »

Thanks to all for the update, works and looks better than before :!: :!: :!:

But I have to ask why, now, in the mods package, the extra language files should be in the same dir as English ?
why a user have to fill his language folder with a lot of files that he never will use ?

( if this is not the right place to ask, please move my post )
Excuse me for my poor English, I speak Spanish. | Image phpBB en Español

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion”