QUestion about the module system

Discussion forum for MOD Writers regarding MOD Development.
Jadestone

QUestion about the module system

Post by Jadestone »

Ok, i am understanding the module system pretty good now after a myriad amount of mishaps.

I am now trying to play with some advanced techniques and was wondering if the module system was able to support modules calling to each other, so far it does not seem to support it and i am thinking of modifying it so it can.

i will explain what i am working on a give a little example of what i am trying to do.

I am working on a new UCP for a better part of an argument we will call my UCP MPS. Now with my new UCP i still want to make calls to the UCP module, Since my module is called MPS it will not load any of the UCP objects. What i want to do is use some of the UCP objects mainly because it will make writing the code much faster an less to update when phpbb comes out with an update.

So my questions are:
1) Can the modules do this? i know they can be changed to work this way but i want to know if they already do.
2) Would it be wiser to create my own module system to use for my MOD?
My Mods In Development: MPS Mod

MPS Support Site: Click Here
Jadestone

Re: QUestion about the module system

Post by Jadestone »

anyone? hmm, this is proving to be a major issue for me...

mtotheikle

Post by mtotheikle »

The module system cannot do that since it is not the same control pannel. Now if you added your module in includes/ucp with the info file and everything, then maybe you could work around it. I would recommend making your own control panel that is like the UCP using the phpBB3 module system. Also check out this wiki article Creating Modules.
New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing? Then phpBB Academy is the place for you!

No support via PM, I will not respond!

Jadestone

Post by Jadestone »

i am well aware of that, i am trying to get some info from advanced users or perhaps the developers about the module system. I am trying to create my own module while also using parts of other modules, which in this case is the ucp module to build my module, the reason for this is that my MOD will use a lot of the normal features of the UCP but i would like mine to be its own module because of the size of my system, i already have my system added into the UCP module but it is not up to my par. I would like to do this right and be able to include the other modules into mine.. i am working on a work around for this but i was hoping for some insight from an experienced programmer.

Thanks for the advice but i already know that. ;)

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

As mtotheikle said, it will not work as they are in separate control panels. You can attempt the workaround he suggested, but I'm not sure if it will work or not.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion”