UMIL/UMIF - New MOD Installation Library - Feedback needed

Discussion forum for MOD Writers regarding MOD Development.
idiotnesia
Name: Pungky Putra

Re: UMIL/UMIF - New MOD Installation Library - Feedback needed

Post by idiotnesia » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:22 am

Yesterday, I've check out this script from the svn. It is really nice tool and I'm sure I will use it for my mods. Here some note from me....

1. New permission warning
- It looks like the permission warning also appears when uninstalling mods. Also, I suggest to change the background color from red to blue like the one in acp when config.php is world-writable.

2. Problem in module_add
I found there is a problem in module_add when module basename has underscore (_). Please try it to add php_info module.

3. Adding admin log
It will be better to automatically add admin log after installing/updating/uninstalling mods.

4. Some more information
I suggest to add more information in the page for example author, license, description, etc

And at last can you give me example how to use display_option and what it is for.

thanks for the great job....

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:43 am

idiotnesia wrote:3. Adding admin log
It will be better to automatically add admin log after installing/updating/uninstalling mods.
Can’t do this without adding language strings to the phpBB core, something we are trying to avoid doing.
idiotnesia wrote:4. Some more information
I suggest to add more information in the page for example author, license, description, etc
The MODX already contains such info, we don’t need to echo it a second time. :)
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:57 am

For the first one, I'll try it and see how it looks, but likely it'll stay red as end users need to notice that.

I will look into #2.

I fixed an issue with the automatic version, you can now use $mod_name . '_EXPLAIN' to display more information, but a more advanced/friendly UI can come at a later time.

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:17 am

Alright, I've fixed #2. That was caused by my preg_replace used in the module basename to prevent security issues by file inclusions. Just filtering out / and \ now.

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:33 pm

idiotnesia wrote:Yesterday, I've check out this script from the svn.
The link please?
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
✒️ Black Friday 2019 @ The Studio ▪️◾️

mtotheikle

Post by mtotheikle » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:58 am

3Di wrote:
idiotnesia wrote:Yesterday, I've check out this script from the svn.
The link please?
Here is the SVN link http://code.phpbb.com/projects/show/18
New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing? Then phpBB Academy is the place for you!

No support via PM, I will not respond!

Highway of Life
Former Team Member

Post by Highway of Life » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:34 pm

Here is a question for the end-users, or users who would be installing MODs via UMIL. I want to get feedback from this community directly on what they think would be the best option for distributing UMIL.
  1. Separate package. The UMIF file would tell the user to download UMIL and upload it, once done, the UMIF file could be run.
    1. Pros:
    2. Users always have access to the latest version.
    1. Cons:
    2. Users have to download another package (UMIL) from another location (phpBB.com).
  2. Packaged with MODs. The UMI Library would be packaged with released MODs.
    1. Pros:
    2. No pain for end users in download additional files/libraries.
    3. MOD Author could only include the umil.php file and none of the other UMIL package files.
    1. Cons:
    2. Outdated and possibly buggy versions of UMIL included with MOD packages.
    3. Additional work for validators to ensure an unmodified and latest UMIL package.
  3. Auto-Download
    1. Pros:
    2. Always the latest version.
    3. Easy for end-users
    1. Cons:
    2. Trust issue
    3. Complications with automatically uploading to locations, FTP, SSH, other file transfer protocols.
    4. Possible additional support headaches due to complications.
What option would be best to use? or what if a couple of options are possible.
Do you have any other suggestions, or additional pros and cons to each option?

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:53 pm

I think a separate package is the only workable method, especially considering the future plans we have for additions to this.

The umil/umil.php file can be run as stand-alone completely without requiring any front-end or language stuff, so if somebody really wants/needs to they can package that file along with their modification in a completely separate directory if wanted. If bugs are fixed in the main UMIL class then the mod author would probably have to update their mod package if it affects them. I do not expect to see many, if any mods running the stand-alone version separately, and if they do they should be testing it to make sure it works as it should, so a bug might not affect them. I do not think mod validators would need to worry about this either, as it really is no different then the mod author using his own script if the stand-alone method was used.

Auto-download might just be more difficult for the end user then downloading a separate package and uploading the files.

idiotnesia
Name: Pungky Putra

Post by idiotnesia » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:46 am

I think the decision is up to the mod author it self. I, personaly prefer to add UMIL in the mod package. Even, I will suggest user to delete the UMIL directory after installing mod. :D :D

And if mod author doen't include UMIL in the package, the author must make note in the topic that the mod require UMIL to work. Then when the mod is validated, the validator also needs to make same note.

Also UMIL must has support topic/forum. So when people ask about UMIL, mod author can only give the UMIL support link.

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:19 pm

UMIL will have it's own page and documentation. If the user tries to run a UMIF file and UMIL does not exist on their board it will give them an error and tell them where to go to download the package.

A_O_C

Post by A_O_C » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:54 pm

Highway of Life wrote:
  • Packaged with MODs. The UMI Library would be packaged with released MODs.
    1. Pros:
    2. No pain for end users in download additional files/libraries.
    3. MOD Author could only include the umil.php file and none of the other UMIL package files.
    1. Cons:
    2. Outdated and possibly buggy versions of UMIL included with MOD packages.
    3. Additional work for validators to ensure an unmodified and latest UMIL package.
i like this idea. i would just make a note in the MOD DB (when this is released) that packages of MODs for older versions of phpbb, although may install on the new version of phpbb, may contain an outdated UMIL. also, think about it this way. when you download a MOD from the MOD DB, you expect that the package contains all necessary files to install the MOD. you wouldnt download phpbb only to find that you need to download the default style to install it, would you?

... and i dont mind the additional work to validate... ;)

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:02 pm

One extra thing is that UMIL also contains a version checker now and will give an error if it is out of date. So if it would be packaged with a mod and was out-dated you would get an error saying you must go to the download location and download the latest version.

So allowing mod authors to package UMIL along with their mods wouldn't really cause any harm, they may just be forced to download the package if it is out of date. Though they may have to do that multiple times if the mods they are trying to install all include older versions of UMIL and every time they have to download a new copy if they upload all the files included.

There certainly will be future versions with more features as well, so keep in mind that the users may not be too happy when installing multiple mods if they have to download UMIL and install it multiple times (likely that would cause major confusion as well).

Highway of Life
Former Team Member

Post by Highway of Life » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:39 pm

Nathan, we should ensure that the version check notice/alert does not restrict the users' ability to use the current version of UMIL that they have installed to run the installation script.

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:44 am

So you would just like a warning instead of an error displayed?

If just the stand-alone version is used the version check is not run because the mod author could have moved the file to a different directory.

They certainly could comment out the error, but I am worried about an issues that would happen like this:
Mod A contains an older version of UMIL and is installed first.
Mod B requires a new version of UMIL (say one of the new functions that was added).

Should we then require mod authors to check that UMIL is updated if they require a new function? A warning is likely to not be heeded by many users and some may run into a lot of issues if UMIL is outdated.

mtotheikle

Post by mtotheikle » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:24 am

I have a request for UMIL. Say I want to use UMIL on my site and I want to place all the files required by it outside the phpBB root directory so I can keep everything organized better. So what I am wondering if you can add a check in umil.php in the constructor to check for a function such as umil_custom_lang and umil_custom_template so the modder can add those functions in say umil_auto_example.php to include all the language and template files required by UMIL or just set the correct paths. If the function exits UMIL will call it and not add any lang files or do any checks like it currently does to set the correct path, the modder will be responsible for making sure that all the correct files get included and this could be done by the modder using set_custom_lang_path or set_custom_template.

EDIT: Never mind, after looking at this some more it would be difficult to setup, unless you have an idea so that the UMIL folder can be outside the phpBB3 root directory I guess its just easier to add UMIL to the phpBB3 directory.
New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing? Then phpBB Academy is the place for you!

No support via PM, I will not respond!

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion”