UMIL/UMIF - New MOD Installation Library - Feedback needed

Discussion forum for MOD Writers regarding MOD Development.
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Re: UMIL/UMIF - New MOD Installation Library - Feedback needed

Post by EXreaction » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:08 am

You can use the stand alone version anywhere you would like, but there are would be no language stuff and no front-end.

poyntesm

Post by poyntesm » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:24 am

So I see the new gui folder in SVN. I take it this is the tool to help auto create an UMIL file?

Also you have ./umil/root/umil/language/en/, should this not move to /umil/root/langauge/en/umil/ ?? Any good reason to have just this UMIL language stuff seperate to all other phpBB language files?

poyntesm

Post by poyntesm » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:58 pm

So some suggestions I have. Nothing to major I think and obviously up to you if you implement.

1) Remove the action selection from auto and make this display tabs like the phpBB installer for install/update/remove. This would fit the phpBB way of design in a cleaner approach.
2) Allow MOD author have a logo displayed on auto page. This would go where the normal phpBB one would in the installer system, just a small graphical improvement IMO.
3) Support for alpha,beta,rc version numbers. 2.0.A1, 2.0.B1,2.0.RC1 etc.. code comments (& brief testing) seem to suggest this will not work. version_compare should allow support for this I think.

Will post anymore I think of or discover. Keep up the good work, I do think UMIL & AutoMOD provide a nice answer to the MOD install issue on phpBB3.

poyntesm

Post by poyntesm » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:25 pm

Use of the constants for a table name seem not to work. I see I can use phpbb_users and it will be replaced by the correct table prefix but documentation says constants are supported.

Code: Select all

'table_column_add' => array(
            array(USERS_TABLE,'user_garage_guestbook_pm_notify', array('BOOL', 1)),
        ), 
Results in

Notice: Use of undefined constant USERS_TABLE - assumed 'USERS_TABLE' in C:Program Filesxampphtdocsquickinstallboardsumilgarage_install.php on line 177
EDIT : 1 further suggestion

Have a another array for options selection during install. i.e present a yes/no question to the user and then the response could be used in a custom function. So input option somthing like array('post_var', 'LANG_VAR', 1); The language variable would display the question to the user and post_var we the input value and then a default value. If kept to a simple bool it should be useful but simple. Just another idea for you. Sorry for string of posts, but just posting as I find stuff.

EDIT :2 another suggestion

How about a langauge entry for when MOD is installed successfully.

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:28 pm

poyntesm wrote:So I see the new gui folder in SVN. I take it this is the tool to help auto create an UMIL file?
Yes, it will be hosted here on phpBB.com, it’s the last thing that needs to be done before we can do an actual preview to the community.
poyntesm wrote:Also you have ./umil/root/umil/language/en/, should this not move to /umil/root/langauge/en/umil/ ?? Any good reason to have just this UMIL language stuff seperate to all other phpBB language files?
umil itself resides in the umil directory, which is then packaged as a MOD, so it has /root/ and then the /umil/ directory which the user would copy to their phpBB directory.
So you would have: /phpBB/umil/language/en/ ... etc.
poyntesm wrote:2) Allow MOD author have a logo displayed on auto page. This would go where the normal phpBB one would in the installer system, just a small graphical improvement IMO.
That’s a good idea. I was thinking of giving UMIL a logo. :D
poyntesm wrote:3) Support for alpha,beta,rc version numbers. 2.0.A1, 2.0.B1,2.0.RC1 etc.. code comments (& brief testing) seem to suggest this will not work. version_compare should allow support for this I think.
UMIL supports these already, of course they have to follow a proper format such as lowercase a/b, uppercase RC, etc. Did you find a case where it was not working? :?

Thanks for the suggestions!
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:40 pm

poyntesm wrote:So some suggestions I have. Nothing to major I think and obviously up to you if you implement.

1) Remove the action selection from auto and make this display tabs like the phpBB installer for install/update/remove. This would fit the phpBB way of design in a cleaner approach.
2) Allow MOD author have a logo displayed on auto page. This would go where the normal phpBB one would in the installer system, just a small graphical improvement IMO.
3) Support for alpha,beta,rc version numbers. 2.0.A1, 2.0.B1,2.0.RC1 etc.. code comments (& brief testing) seem to suggest this will not work. version_compare should allow support for this I think.

Will post anymore I think of or discover. Keep up the good work, I do think UMIL & AutoMOD provide a nice answer to the MOD install issue on phpBB3.
1. Tabs may be used for something else in the future.
2. That's a possibility for the future as well. Perhaps the UMIL logo (when one is made) could be replaced if the mod author specifies one.
3. It does work if you use the version numbers correctly, like 3.0.0-b1, 3.0.0-RC1 (http://us.php.net/manual/en/function.ve ... ompare.php)
poyntesm wrote:Use of the constants for a table name seem not to work. I see I can use phpbb_users and it will be replaced by the correct table prefix but documentation says constants are supported.

'table_column_add' => array(
            array(USERS_TABLE,'user_garage_guestbook_pm_notify', array('BOOL', 1)),
        ),  
Results in

Notice: Use of undefined constant USERS_TABLE - assumed 'USERS_TABLE' in C:Program Filesxampphtdocsquickinstallboardsumilgarage_install.php on line 177
EDIT : 1 further suggestion

Have a another array for options selection during install. i.e present a yes/no question to the user and then the response could be used in a custom function. So input option somthing like array('post_var', 'LANG_VAR', 1); The language variable would display the question to the user and post_var we the input value and then a default value. If kept to a simple bool it should be useful but simple. Just another idea for you. Sorry for string of posts, but just posting as I find stuff.

EDIT :2 another suggestion

How about a langauge entry for when MOD is installed successfully.
The constants do indeed work. Were you using the stand alone system and somehow not including the constants file?

For now, if you need more options you'll have to build your own installer using the front-end.

Another possibility in the future.

Right now the main goal is to get the current package released. After it is released, when we have time, we will begin working on the next version which will bring some new stuff.

poyntesm

Post by poyntesm » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:59 pm

umil itself resides in the umil directory, which is then packaged as a MOD, so it has /root/ and then the /umil/ directory which the user would copy to their phpBB directory.
So you would have: /phpBB/umil/language/en/ ... etc.
But all MODs are meant to place there language in /phpBB/language/en/mods why should it be different for UMIL?
The constants do indeed work. Were you using the stand alone system and somehow not including the constants file?
I was using the auto system
Right now the main goal is to get the current package released. After it is released, when we have time, we will begin working on the next version which will bring some new stuff.
No issue at all with this, its a great tool already and was just providing feedback as I converted a installer script I wrote to use UMIL.

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:30 pm

When we designed UMIL we decided to keep everything in one folder since it is just a lot easier than a bunch of different files.

When I get some time I'll try the constants with the UMIL auto script like you had, but I am pretty sure it works, I do not see any reason why it wouldn't work, and I am pretty sure I've used it like that before.

poyntesm

Post by poyntesm » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:21 pm

My €0.02 says best to reconsider the language placement design. Deliever one folder "root" and then place in the correct place. Things like the acp language pack detail mode know about the mods directory but not about umil/langauge.

As for the constants I will try debug, as I used the latest SVN and just editted the auto example provided in the trunk.

mtotheikle

Post by mtotheikle » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:04 am

Well this is a great tool guys, however after messing with the module installer system, I see that if you use the automatic way you, UMIL will only look inside the phpBB root directory, however phpBB now allows a custom module path to be defined so if we have our modules outside the phpBB directory we must use the manual method. So is it possible to make it so we can also define a custom module path for UMIL so the automatic method can be used? This should be really easy, just add an extra function parameter that is not required and if it is set use that path instead of the phpbb root path.
New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing? Then phpBB Academy is the place for you!

No support via PM, I will not respond!

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:54 am

poyntesm wrote:But all MODs are meant to place there language in /phpBB/language/en/mods why should it be different for UMIL?
phpBB v3.0.3 allows the use of the custom_lang_path, which is what UMIL utilises to keep all files and changes outside of the phpBB directory and in it’s own. The idea of UMIL is it’s a simple drag-and-drop directory, as easy to use as possible.
poyntesm wrote:My €0.02 says best to reconsider the language placement design. Deliever one folder "root" and then place in the correct place. Things like the acp language pack detail mode know about the mods directory but not about umil/langauge.
I don’t quite follow. What would be the benefit of relocating the language directory?
poyntesm wrote:I was using the auto system
Can you provide the installation script you are using? I want to check this and see what’s not working here and why.
poyntesm wrote:No issue at all with this, its a great tool already and was just providing feedback as I converted a installer script I wrote to use UMIL.
That’s fantastic. :) ... we do need to make sure we get as many bugs out as possible before the release, so I appreciate that you are testing this. Please do not hesitate to report bugs or other issues (including usability issues) as you find them.
mtotheikle wrote:Well this is a great tool guys, however after messing with the module installer system, I see that if you use the automatic way you, UMIL will only look inside the phpBB root directory, however phpBB now allows a custom module path to be defined so if we have our modules outside the phpBB directory we must use the manual method. So is it possible to make it so we can also define a custom module path for UMIL so the automatic method can be used? This should be really easy, just add an extra function parameter that is not required and if it is set use that path instead of the phpbb root path.
Yes, we should be supporting this since it’s available in 3.0.4 -- Nathan, can you add this functionality?
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

mtotheikle

Post by mtotheikle » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:18 am

Ok, I got anther request/bug, when adding a module there is no option to make the module hidden. So in this case I may want a module installed but I dont want it shown.

EDIT: Never mind I overlooked where it was setting the module information.
New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing? Then phpBB Academy is the place for you!

No support via PM, I will not respond!

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:57 am

Highway of Life wrote:phpBB v3.0.3 allows the use of the custom_lang_path, which is what UMIL utilises to keep all files and changes outside of the phpBB directory and in it’s own.
mtotheikle wrote:Well this is a great tool guys, however after messing with the module installer system, I see that if you use the automatic way you, UMIL will only look inside the phpBB root directory, however phpBB now allows a custom module path to be defined so if we have our modules outside the phpBB directory we must use the manual method. So is it possible to make it so we can also define a custom module path for UMIL so the automatic method can be used? This should be really easy, just add an extra function parameter that is not required and if it is set use that path instead of the phpbb root path.
Yes, we should be supporting this since it’s available in 3.0.4 -- Nathan, can you add this functionality?
Actually, we are not using custom_lang_path because it doesn't have the fallback options we need if the translations do not exist and I think this still needs to support < 3.0.3. ;)

I wasn't aware that an option for a custom module path was ever added. I'll try to look into it tomorrow.

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:27 pm

Yes, I see what the problem is with the constants not working in the auto file. They don't work because we haven't included the constants.php file at that point yet. :P

I think we may need to change it so that the user has to initialize the session and include the common file with the auto version.

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:09 pm

The way I've fixed that for now is we'll require including the common.php file the new way it is setup in the umil_auto_example.php file (though you can skip that part if you would like and will still work the old way, but constants won't work as it's been noted)

I've added support for a custom module path in the module_add and module_remove functions.

I've also made creating the setup a little easier by making all those language keys except $mod_name optional (it will just place $mod_name within the default language keys for it).

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion”