Mod releases - a quick guide?

Discussion forum for MOD Writers regarding MOD Development.
iankent

Mod releases - a quick guide?

Post by iankent » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:37 pm

Hope somebody can help, I'm tearing my hair out here! New to all this modding stuff and trying to package a simple mod with a modx file, but there's far too much info out there and none of it is making any sense lol!

Can anyone give step by step instructions on taking changes made to the core phpbb3 build and turning them into a mod package? Most of the changes are contained within new files (e.g. a new functions file, new templates etc.) though there are one or two changes to existing files.

Where do I start?! Do I have to hand write all the changes for the MODX and include the new files in the root folder, or is there a quick way to identify the changes and make the MODX? Is that even what I have to do? lol

edit:
I've now discovered I can compare files using WinMerge which makes life easier - that creates the mod's root folder without a problem, what else needs to be done? reading as much as I can but I'm just getting more confused :(

edit2:
Right, getting somewhere I think! Am I right in thinking that my mod package .zip file should contain the following:
/root/[any new files]
/modx.prosilver.en.xsl
/license.txt
/install.xml
Where install.xml is the MODX file detailing file copy (for /root/) and sql inserts/core phpbb code changes?

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Re: Mod releases - a quick guide?

Post by DavidIQ » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:09 am

iankent wrote:edit2:
Right, getting somewhere I think! Am I right in thinking that my mod package .zip file should contain the following:
/root/[any new files]
/modx.prosilver.en.xsl
/license.txt
/install.xml
Where install.xml is the MODX file detailing file copy (for /root/) and sql inserts/core phpbb code changes?
You got it 8-)
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:11 pm

This should also help quite a bit

http://www.phpbb.com/mods/utilities/creator/
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

iankent

Post by iankent » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:09 pm

Thank you :)

I had come across the creator somewhere along the way (seen so many pages now I cant remember a lot lol), but at the time it meant nothing. Having had a second look and with a slightly better understanding of how a phpbb mod works, I think I've got it! Just posted my first DEV mod so fingers crossed.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion”