phpBB Session Integration Library

Discussion forum for MOD Writers regarding MOD Development.
Nelsaidi

phpBB Session Integration Library

Post by Nelsaidi » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:54 pm

I'm wondering as to whether someone has created a library/function/class/whatever which allows you to use phpBB sessions (just authenticate session, no need to login) without having to include phpBB? I'm building an application which works along side a phpBB3 forum, and am currently handling users/sessions by including phpBB. I will write one myself if it doesnt exist, but would save a great deal of time if it did. - If it doesnt, anything I should consider when doing sucha thing? I'll probably release it if I do do it and it works :D
Click here to find out what eRepublik is.

iankent

Re: phpBB Session Integration Library

Post by iankent » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:37 pm

Why would you need to? If you're including phpbb that's got all of the functions you need to authenticate a user and check permissions that's already guaranteed to work with phpbb, so whats the point in rewriting all that?

Nelsaidi

Post by Nelsaidi » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:08 am

Optimisation? Including phpBB is an unnecesary (big) overhead.
Click here to find out what eRepublik is.

iankent

Post by iankent » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:18 am

It shouldn't be, doesn't phpbb dynamically load most classes as they're needed? In which case, only the classes required for authentication should be loaded?

If you did want to rewrite it I think you'd need to pull a lot of the code from auth and session classes, just not sure it'd be worth all the effort and potential security risks to gain a slight performance improvement. Maybe someone else can give a bit more info, but personally I wouldn't waste my time rewriting core phpbb code :)

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion”