Understanding phpbb

Discussion forum for MOD Writers regarding MOD Development.
oxfordsi

Understanding phpbb

Post by oxfordsi »

Hello,

I'm just getting stuck into the language of php and i'm wanting to write a MOD to help in understanding the language. Of course in phpbb there are set functions, constants etc etc relating to the forum program. I have tried looking at the phpbb files but it's rather confusing as there isn't any real starting point.

Can anyone assist me in detailing the order in which i should be reading the php files to understand the coding just that bit more?

Thank you in advance for your help

Simon
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Understanding phpbb

Post by Brf »

The wiki has some pretty good stuff for understanding the phpbb concepts:
Main_Page
oxfordsi

Post by oxfordsi »

Thank you for the reply Brf but what i'm hoping to do is read the files within the phpbb download package. Surely there must be a sequence with regards to how the pages were put together?
Oleg
Former Team Member

Post by Oleg »

I find it easier to learn new things when they are applied to something I'm working on.

You say you want to write a mod; come up with an idea and start implementing it. Figuring out specific things is probably going to be more productive than trying to "understand phpbb" in general. You will also know whether you're understanding stuff correctly or not (if not, your mod won't be working as desired).

You should pick something that is not too complicated, but covers major functionality points: code, templates, sql changes, user cp, admin cp. Of course if you can't come up with a single mod that would involve everything to some degree you can always write two.

Alternatively, visit the bug tracker and see if any open tickets catch your interest, then try fixing them. This way your code will be reviewed by phpbb developers, if you're doing anything wrong you will almost certainly be told about it.
Participate in phpBB development: Get involved | Issue tracker | Report a bug | Development board | [url=irc://chat.freenode.net/phpbb-dev]Development IRC chat[/url]
My stuff: mindlinkgame.com

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion”