edit user functions

Discussion forum for MOD Writers regarding MOD Development.
TwoThirdsWater

edit user functions

Post by TwoThirdsWater »

Hullo board

I am writing a set of functions to interact with phpBB to allow a me to create, delete and edit phpBB users by code.

I've managed to get the add_user and delete_user functions to work, but cannot make either user_ban() or user_update_name() work. Its quite possible that I am missunderstanding the purpose or desired effect of these methods, but i'd appreciate anyones advise as to what I am doing wrong please.

1) I want to be able to deactivate a users account (stop them from logging in). I figure banning them is the best option from the methods available to me. When using the following code:

Code: Select all

user_ban  ("user", $_GET["user_name"], 2629743, "2050-12-31", true, "User has been set to inactive on by the main admin");
i get a general SQL error:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 3 [1064]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
I am trying to ban them for 5 years (using the minutes) and have just added in the ban date too as i wasn't sure if the empty string I was using there was responsible for the SQL errors.

2) I want to be able to change a users username. It would appear from the documentation that user_update_name() should do it. However when running the following code:

user_update_name  ( $_GET["old_user_name"], $_GET["new_user_name"]);
I don't get any errors, and yet the phpBB username table doesn't show any changes.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader
Name: Marc

Re: edit user functions

Post by Marc »

Could you maybe post those 2 functions? Without those functions, it will be pretty hard to help you.

Drummer

Post by Drummer »

user_update_name() does not change the user's name, it updates the fields that uses usernames in certain tables (like forum_last_poster_name in the table forums). To change an user's username just update the username and username_clean fields in the users table and then call user_update_name() to make sure that there won't be a non-existing author (or moderator).

For the first problem i think you need to post more debugging info like the sql query and the first lines of the X file. What file is this btw?
Just two notes:
  • the 5th argument ($ban_exclude) must be false if you're banning, true if excluding.
  • to use the 4th arg ($ban_len_other) the 3rd ($ban_len) has to be -1.

TwoThirdsWater

Post by TwoThirdsWater »

Thanks Drummer...

I have now sorted the username issue out, but am still struggling with the ban code.

I'm not even sure whether I would be better banning or excluding... essentially I just want to stop people accessing the forum, but not to delete all their posts and so.

I've moved on from the SQL error I was getting (thanks for the -1 advise), but I am now being returned an whole bunch of HTML that reads:

yourdomain.com
A short text to describe your forum

Skip to content
Advanced search

* Board index
    * Change font size
    * FAQ
    * Register
    * Login

Information
[b]The requested users do not exist.[/b]